Main Menu

Meg 305

Started by Zarjazzer, 05 December, 2010, 01:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

And it looks like me getting my handbag out has resulted in another letter printed.

Hmmm your first sice Meg 300 if the Beast is to believed. And it should!

dweezil2

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 December, 2010, 03:54:46 PM
And it looks like me getting my handbag out has resulted in another letter printed.

Hmmm your first sice Meg 300 if the Beast is to believed. And it should!

Sir! You are correct! :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Hoagy

As a newcomer to the Gronk tales, I was warming to the idea of the convoluted story of the Strontium Dog. And having not been there at the time, it would be an advantage to have the benefit of seeing it on a broader scan.

I got to chapter 2 in the free floppy. I'll see how it goes. I do like N. Dobbyn's art too.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Hoagy

Why not gamble? Buy one from the shop shelf. Maybe get the post-card, maybe get the poster. Then wait with baited breath to see if you get the alternative in your subscription!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Hoagy

Hennywhey.

Sooo gooood to see Insurrection back in the MEG! THAT I GOT AND I"M READING NOOOWWWW!!! Colin McNeil is one of the most under-rated artists evah! It is like floating over another world. And the story? Furthering the Megacity Justice department as the bad guys, this opens out into a challenging second phase.

Why is it necessary to have a Christmas rhyme every year on Dredd? I haven't bothered reading it. I'm just not in the mood for it. Art's good, but I'd be more interested if the lettering were more traditional or at least made more in ceremony of the piece as well.

Lilly, I've already said is finished with the barn gate wide open and I have no objections.

I'm liking the Soviet version of the Champions by Wyatt and Marshal too.   

Movie reviewer seems to only respect anything from halfarsed budget and grindhouse era. One of dem cool stalwarts of cult reviewing film. Cool. Now we know where we stand.

Interrogation is a look forward too and the features, which have really, become part of the furniture for me this year are going to be a good mainstay.     
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Alski

What a wonderful issue! Yeah, the christmas poem is a bit of a tradition, but this has to be one of the most creative, funniest yet, and the art is b-e-a-yootiful. Ties in nicely with an intervesting Liam Sharp interview, and I LOVE the full page illustration he's done for it.

Samizdat Squad looks interesting so far, a good start.

Lily Mackenzie went out with a bit of a whimper, but I've enjoyed it all, and will now read it as a continuous piece.

Insurrection... Colin MacNeil once again totally knocks it out of the park, with Abnett dragging us right back in with ease. What a great strip.

I was very happy with teh film reviews this week as well, as I now want to pick up that video nasty DVD (£15 on Amazon) as I can be a bit of a cinephile at times. Also the Tournament look sinteresting. Two things I was otherwise unaware of, which is why I don't want them to drop the pages!

Return Of The Gronk... let's just not get into that at the moment.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Proudhuff

Fine cover and fine festive Dredd, will be passing this on to a Bond Fan I know,

Sovsquad: looks fine so far only one clunky infodump, the rest Meg worthy.

Ad for 2011 prog: four strips I love four I not keen on

Interrrogation: great to get more background, always enjoy when the creators work is next to this makes it more relevant.

Lilly Savage Mackenzie the best thing that's happened to the Meg for ages, more thargy more!

Letters Page: as Mr watson points out this cover is dated Jan 2011...so his letter don't count! That's four three to me But'Man, so no tears here 2010 is mine!

Moive review, gory horror not my subject, but that Buttonman movie will be added to my lorvefilm list, so job done  

Insurrection II looking great loving this, (we can all forgive the Justice Dept can't get helmets on the streets but the SJS has a space fleet, can't we?  ;))

Numbercruncher ad: Looks like Vinnie Jones meets Big Ben from Marvelman, no bad thing!!

Trade Floppie: The gunk, never liked comic side kicks, even when they turn violent, will glance over this in the post xmas fug.

Great Meg, Merry Grudmaz Megpeeps!
DDT did a job on me

COMMANDO FORCES

I had a text earlier, mine is in, so I'm off to get it once Sam is home from school  :D

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 December, 2010, 02:26:09 PM
Letters Page: as Mr watson points out this cover is dated Jan 2011...so his letter don't count! That's four three to me But'Man, so no tears here 2010 is mine!

Really Tom, back on the smack again? Really?

Was this post and care fully constructed table in vain? Was it?

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,30857.msg560535.html#msg560535

Robin Low

Quote from: Krombasher on 08 December, 2010, 05:47:10 PM
As a newcomer to the Gronk tales, I was warming to the idea of the convoluted story of the Strontium Dog. And having not been there at the time, it would be an advantage to have the benefit of seeing it on a broader scan.

I got to chapter 2 in the free floppy. I'll see how it goes. I do like N. Dobbyn's art too.

Probably the best thing in the Meg, and that's with very stiff competition from Insurrection and the non-Dredd Dredd story.

I know many don't like it, but Return of the Gronk has more old-fashioned fun and action in it than numberous other series we've seen in 2000AD and the Meg over the last few years.

Regards

Robin

Hoagy

Quote from: Robin Low on 11 December, 2010, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: Krombasher on 08 December, 2010, 05:47:10 PM

Probably the best thing in the Meg, and that's with very stiff competition from Insurrection and the non-Dredd Dredd story.

I know many don't like it, but Return of the Gronk has more old-fashioned fun and action in it than numberous other series we've seen in 2000AD and the Meg over the last few years.

Regards

Robin
I like how I saw it more as a continuing saga from the benefit of fresh eyes. The story itself has the feel of a writer full of fresh ideas barely off the small press, with a fantastic artist who gives those ideas more credibility.  Of course that's not the case but it is the way it reads to me. Like Ennis comes at it as a fan writer.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
Previously Krombasher.

Greg M.

I found it very interesting to read the early Gronk again stuff in one go - I appreciated it much more than I did at the time, but I've found that to be true of Garth's Dredd work too. 'Return of the Gronk' is very much of its era... the skate-boarding, the cute-creature-behaving-violently vibe, but it's plenty of fun. It's interesting how much of a bastard the Gronk comes across as, killing people left, right and centre (I'm sure this gets toned down a lot in subsequent stories.) Dobbyn's art is great fun too (but wait till 'The Darkest Star', he has some phenomenal pages in that.) I reckon the exact moment it all really starts to work is Part 2 of 'How The Gronk Got His Heartses' - the idea of the Gronk protagonist suddenly gains an extra level, and the last two pages are wonderful. (I may be biased 'cos I own the last page though... and the cover to the collection.)

On a side note... first time I've picked up the Meg in about 6 years, not for the Gronk stuff, but just to see what's it like these days.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Buttonman on 10 December, 2010, 04:52:23 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 December, 2010, 02:26:09 PM

Really Tom, back on the smack again? Really?

Was this post and care fully constructed table in vain? Was it?

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,30857.msg560535.html#msg560535

Ha! I didn't realize these details were still being collated, it's good to know. All praise your efforts in the field of letter recognition! I must have slacked off this year.

Buttonman

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 December, 2010, 02:44:42 PM
I must have slacked off this year.

You certainly did with a piffling one in Meg 299 leaving your tally at a lowly 9.