Main Menu

Does A traitor to his kind and Blood Moon tie into Life & Death of J. Alpha?

Started by Apestrife, 21 March, 2014, 05:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Quote from: Skullmo on 27 March, 2014, 02:38:03 PM

I think that perhaps had the stories following Final Solution developed the universe better then the story would be viewed more favorably by long term fans, but certainly for me it is the gateway to the introduction of the tough gronk and the wandering woman who never did anything (over several years of plot threads building up).

In fact, thinking about it, there were lots of post death plot threads that were developed and then abandoned by Wagner . . . this feels just like the "I'm not enjoying the Prog and I think I know why" thread.  :lol:

Skullmo- None of those stories were written by JWagner. Final Solution was all Alan Grant, Garth Ennis made the gronk macho and it was Peter Hogan who gave us the Walking Lady. The finale came when Bish-Op rewrote the finale episodes and we got Firefall.

The 'blame' for the dangling threads there come down firmly on editorial shoulders.

Skullmo

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 28 March, 2014, 03:47:26 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 27 March, 2014, 02:38:03 PM

I think that perhaps had the stories following Final Solution developed the universe better then the story would be viewed more favorably by long term fans, but certainly for me it is the gateway to the introduction of the tough gronk and the wandering woman who never did anything (over several years of plot threads building up).

In fact, thinking about it, there were lots of post death plot threads that were developed and then abandoned by Wagner . . . this feels just like the "I'm not enjoying the Prog and I think I know why" thread.  :lol:

Skullmo- None of those stories were written by JWagner. Final Solution was all Alan Grant, Garth Ennis made the gronk macho and it was Peter Hogan who gave us the Walking Lady. The finale came when Bish-Op rewrote the finale episodes and we got Firefall.

The 'blame' for the dangling threads there come down firmly on editorial shoulders.

Yes i know - the other thread was about Wagner ignoring other writers' plot developments and then them being left hanging.
It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

Still not sold on Ezquerra's SD work both before and after Final Solution. It is a shadow of the depth/detail in the StarLord and prog 78 till the end of portriat of a mutant. He seems better at Dredd in more recent years. He has lost that sense of strangeness in SD; a sense that Harrison captured perfectly. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Magnetica

I have always loved Strontium Dog, right back to Starlord days.
However I have never been keen on Strontium Dogs.

It just never felt the same to me. I think a big part of that the absence of Carlos. Where ever the strip goes from here, I just hope Carlos is doing the art. As others have said it just doesn't feel like Stront without him. I remember when Ian Gibson did an episode in Starlord and I was like "what's this?". Same when Brendan McCarthy did one in a Starlord annual. Having reread these recently they are perfectly good episodes by two 2000AD greats, but it just didn't feel right.

As to the writer, I don't mind who writes it, so long as it is either or both of Wagner or Grant. No-one else. I feel the same about Robo-Hunter but don't mind others doing Dredd.

Apestrife

I almost think Carlos's art is the most essential thing about Stront, but I'll give The final solution a try later on.

But about Blood moon. I really really liked it, especially Alpha killing Moon. Up there with Kreelman and Max. The bit where he thinks of cutting of his head but leaves him to burn was very powerfull.

Btw, when is the story supposed to take place? Before or after Kreelman died in outlaw? Feels very fitting if it took place before it, serving as a sort of a Johnny Alpha: First hate story.

Mardroid

Not quite on topic, but I recently read The Kreeler Conspiracy.

This, along with Traitor to his Kind (which I've yet to read) was published in the Prog before my time so this is the first time I've read this.

I found it very interesting as it's obviously intended as a kind of reboot, yet it still fits in the time line of the previous stuff if you wish it too, as far as I can tell. Of course the talking computer device and 'personal short range teleporter' seems rather a new thing, but I guess you could argue that he dispensed with them later.

It's also interesting that the later two tales in the volume seems to have a much more traditional SD feel to them.

It's a decent volume.

Judge Olde

I use to really enjoy SD, when Alpha died at the end of Final Solution, I really was gutted. One of the most powerful stories in the prog, perhaps ever. You know whatever the Dredd story, that Dredd isn't going to die.

For me, his (Alpha's) recent back from the dead (like Bobby Ewing in Dallas) stories have proved that he might have been better off left that way & to have explored other characters from this universe.

The idea of certain stories being canon because of who wrote them or drew them is all well & good, but surely if it's not written or drawn by x, y or z then it's just a filler story, I think that's insulting to those people, but more importantly to us, the people who are keeping the comic alive.

Steve Green

I think the teleporter old be one of those things, like the time bomb or birdie in dredd, where it is something that becomes too powerful as a get-out.

Apestrife

I'v read that the "reboot" thing where dropped shortly after Kreeler conspiracy (who at first was a manuscript for a tv adaption), but it probably works.

But any thoughts on where Blood moon fits in? Shortly after Johnny became a Search and destroy agent?