Main Menu

Best one-prog Dredds

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 March, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I think Dillons first Dredd was in one of the Specials. The On-offs are my favourite Dredds, better than the 'Epics' which are all story driven. The little stories capture that small bit of Dredd that make him a brilliant comic character.  As for a favourite, mmmm..

radiator

Yep, in hindsight so much of the world building happens in those little one-offs rather than the big epics - so many little things woven in that are expanded on later.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 28 March, 2014, 09:44:03 PM
I really like the gentleman thief one from prog 841 'Down Among the Dead Men', very amusing.

A Millar Dredd makes the favourites! Good lord! To be fair, it was one of his better ones, though the [spoiler]'10 extra years for wasting Justice Dept time'[/spoiler] punchline was just silly.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

How about Bob's Law?  Great insight into the way Justice Dept governs, and the partisan mind of the citizen.

Spikes

Quote from: maryanddavid on 29 March, 2014, 01:03:45 AM
I think Dillons first Dredd was in one of the Specials.

It was. The 1980 Sci-Fi special, I believe. But Alone... was Dillon's first Dredd in the prog.

A bit of self pimping allowed? OK, then...
Was lucky enough to have snagged a page of original art from this recently.

An instant favourite of mine, as well. Initially due to Steve's art. 

hippynumber1

In essence it was a 3 parter but the 3 one offs with Ron Smith on art where Dredd begins to have doubts (which, of course, begin the build up to a much larger story) 'Question of Judgement', 'Error of Judgement' and  'A Case for Treatment'

Magnetica

How about these for a fantastic run of one offs?

Prog 144  Christmas Comes a Little Early to Des O'Connor Block
Prog 145  Uncle Ump's Umpty Candy
Prog 146  New Year is Cancelled
Prog 147  Judge Minty
Prog 148  Alien Seeds

O'Connor Block, Ump and Minty feature pretty much definitive McMahon art; the other two aren't too shabby either with Brendan McCarthy and Ron Smith.
All the scripts are punchy, with a set up, middle and pay off all in 5 or 6 pages. What a few weeks that was (and guess what came next?).

Fungus

Like others, the one that popped into my head was Alone In A Crowd. Other folks have gone over it, I just remember vividly how great it read at the time.

Lots in this era obviously good too, but loved this for the craziness, and great & rare Garry Leach art (and lettering - he letters better than a letterer too): Attack of the 50 ft Woman (prog 492).

A good thread.
What I'll do later is re-read In The Bath and John Cassavettes Is Dead. I have no memory of these and thought they came from my Wilderness Years. Nope, progs 626/627 and since I'm sorting out the progs they're behind me  :)

Montynero

Quote from: Spikes on 29 March, 2014, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: maryanddavid on 29 March, 2014, 01:03:45 AM
I think Dillons first Dredd was in one of the Specials.

It was. The 1980 Sci-Fi special, I believe. But Alone... was Dillon's first Dredd in the prog.

A bit of self pimping allowed? OK, then...
Was lucky enough to have snagged a page of original art from this recently.

An instant favourite of mine, as well. Initially due to Steve's art.

Wow! You lucky sod! Such a fantastic page - storytelling, acting, lighting - everything! Very 'real' take, even down to the regular shaped tower blocks in the background.  It's even signed too.

Roughly how much was it, may I ask?

hippynumber1

Now THERE'S a question we don't ask in public!  :lol:

The Corinthian

I have a sneaking fondness for 'Little Spuggy's Christmas'.

Colin YNWA

Well most of what I'd have said has been covered. 'Death of a Legend', 'In The Bath', ''Leaving Rowdy Yates' and 'John Cassavettes Is Dead' would all be there or there abouts for me BUT since that's all been covered I'll go for a more personal one. 'I, beast' from the 1985 Summer Special a comic I got with 431 that got me back into the Prog back in the day and that Wagner + Grant and Cam Kennedy story had a large part to play in that.

Can we do one of these for 2 parters next a few I was going to mention got excluded on that count!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Fungus on 29 March, 2014, 01:45:09 PM

Lots in this era obviously good too, but loved this for the craziness, and great & rare Garry Leach art (and lettering - he letters better than a letterer too): Attack of the 50 ft Woman (prog 492).
sorting out the progs they're behind me  :)

It was fairly arsom, aye.  Also made me feel a bit funny as a soon-to-be adolescent.

Another great Gary Leach one was the Michael Jackson - sorry, Jaxon Prince -  comeback concert.  That Jacko; we didn't know the half of it back then.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Bissler

:D

We should thank our lucky stars they never did a character based on Jimmy Saville or Gary Glitter...

Fungus