Main Menu

Best one-prog Dredds

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 March, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julabard

Judge Planet.  I love me that story / art. :P

Montynero

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 08:18:40 AM
At the risk of summoning Logan, how about La Placa Rifa? Not a lot happens, but the Kennedy colour art is stunning, and it's a great thumbnail of the endless low-level juve-wars that constitute so much of the City's unpleasantness.

Yeah, that was great. Its classic Dredd. Cam did a few of these: Jumping on prog dredd - not some deep reflections or tease that he might be changing. Just 'this is the character, the city, the law' - ain't it great? The concept's so strong you don't need to add bells or whistles. I'm a sucker for these types of stories. What's the one they did with the fantastic overhead shot of the city and the floating hamburger restaurant? It showed off all the different types of lawgiver bullet and Dredd lets the stookie user age to death at the end - just to show what a bastard he is. *runs upstairs* Ah, it doesn't have a name! It's prog 435 though, another jumping on prog. In those days they were called 'boom issues' and we'd get a free gift on the cover. Now we just get Molcher pimping himself sore to retailers & the interwebz!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Montynero on 01 April, 2014, 12:12:17 PM
Ah, it doesn't have a name! It's prog 435 though, another jumping on prog.

Rather fitting that the story doesn't have a name, isn't it? I believe Jock owns the original art for that spread, possibly the single piece of Dredd art I covet above all others... literally everything I love about the strip is encapsulated in that one piece of Kennedy art.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 April, 2014, 10:15:13 AM
Which is funny... Didn't Pat write it? That makes it Not Canon and merely filler apparently... ;-)

Tonight on 2000AD Online, a special investigation: When Good Moderators Go Troll.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 01:14:28 PM
Which is funny... Didn't Pat write it? That makes it Not Canon and merely filler apparently... ;-)

Tonight on 2000AD Online, a special investigation: When Good Moderators Go Troll.

:-)

Skullmo

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 01 April, 2014, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 01:14:28 PM

:-)

It's not trolling if there is no mens rea
It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

People called Romanes they go the house?

radiator

Class of '79 from Prog 2006.

It may retread old ground somewhat (the crooked judge in the story is what - the fourth(?) of Dredd's classmates to go bad?) but this is classic Dredd - it even (ISTR) - used the classic Dredd logo. Art by Greg Staples (colours by Peter Doherty IIRC) is sublime and it's full of great little character moments like the gloriously awkward Dredd family Christmas.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 April, 2014, 12:52:37 PM
Quote from: Montynero on 01 April, 2014, 12:12:17 PM
Ah, it doesn't have a name! It's prog 435 though, another jumping on prog.

Rather fitting that the story doesn't have a name, isn't it?

In the 'Next Prog' box at the end of the previous Dredd story, West Side Rumble (prog#434), it's called Back on the Streets.

Montynero

Great research, thanks Joe!

Sounds like the kind of thing a sub editor would write if he had no idea what the next story was called :)

It doesn't get a title when reprinted in the Titan edition either, but that's a handy name for it.

oshii

Loads of Wagner/Grant classics to choose from, but if no one else has mentioned it, I'm throwing "Cockroaches" from prog 1627 by Al Ewing and Ben Oliver in there.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Montynero on 01 April, 2014, 05:35:59 PMSounds like the kind of thing a sub editor would write if he had no idea what the next story was called :)

Generic or wha!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Montynero on 01 April, 2014, 05:35:59 PM
Sounds like the kind of thing a sub editor would write if he had no idea what the next story was called :)

It doesn't get a title when reprinted in the Titan edition either, but that's a handy name for it.

The first port of call in instances like these should always be Barney! Even when not-quite up to date it's an invaluable resource.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 April, 2014, 05:48:36 PM
The first port of call in instances like these should always be Barney! Even when not-quite up to date it's an invaluable resource.

Well said, Dark Jimbo - I have Barney open in a browser tab most of the time when I'm writing!

-- Mike

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 01 April, 2014, 05:55:02 PMI have Barney open in a browser tab most of the time when I'm writing!

The secret 'Carroll Method' is revealed!