Main Menu

Best one-prog Dredds

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 March, 2014, 02:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 01 April, 2014, 05:55:02 PMI have Barney open in a browser tab most of the time when I'm writing!

Not sure why exactly but that gives me a deep feeling of satisfaction. Sweet sweet continuity cake.

Magnetica

This thread has got me thinking - why is it that Dredd is so enduring and became THE 2000AD story and not anything else? It was NOT obvious at the start that would be the case (not that I was actually reading it for the first couple of years  :lol:).

I think it is these little gems that really show the versatility of the story. Literally anything can happen; they are like little future shocks but wrapped up in a familiar setting, often with Dredd himself only appearing at the end.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 01 April, 2014, 08:06:29 PM
I think it is these little gems that really show the versatility of the story. Literally anything can happen; they are like little future shocks but wrapped up in a familiar setting, often with Dredd himself only appearing at the end.

I think that's really at the heart of it - the strip can wander off and do a little parody of Sceret Diary of Adrian Mole from the PoV of a mutant cockroach, or the  hardboiled internal monologue of a dying hitman actually called Flip Marlowe who really loves his pet rat, safe in the knowledge that Dredd is always there, superficially unchanging and uncomplicated to anchor the whole thing from week to week.   

It's a format that can accommodate almost anything, but with a reassuring constant always in the background.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 April, 2014, 08:15:15 PM
I think that's really at the heart of it - the strip can wander off and do a little parody of Sceret Diary of Adrian Mole from the PoV of a mutant cockroach, or the  hardboiled internal monologue of a dying hitman actually called Flip Marlowe who really loves his pet rat

Kennedy really took over from Ron Smith as the guy for those MC-1 slice-of-life oddities, didn't he? His oddballs are every bit as comedic as the Mighty Ron's, but with the added bonus of those greasy, grimy litter-strewn streets and thrillingly mysterious machinery that somehow still managed to look like it all worked.

I miss Cam's Dredd. Sniff!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Magnetica

I'm with you there Jim but I miss Ron even more.

And even more than that I miss Bolland :'( 

(But he wasn't really the guy for these kind of stories..so a bit off topic...but even so he is the one I miss the most).

Fungus

Quote from: radiator on 31 March, 2014, 11:40:16 PM
One of John Wagner's most prolific periods when it comes to Dredd - he was writing the character pretty much single-handed in both the prog and Meg from 96/7-2000. It's great that they'll be getting a well-overdue airing soon as the Case Files start to cover that era.

That's good news  :)  Re-reading the progs from the 90's I idly supposed the Morrison/Millar/Ennis stuff
continued. I haven't picked up any Case Files as yet... (the Complete Judge Dredd covers that nicely
for the earliest stuff in any case).

BPP

The Titan epilogue is as good a one shot as I've read in ages. Maybe disqualified by having themes from previous stories as it's centre but brilliant just for the 'brutal' assessment stuff.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 April, 2014, 08:37:04 PM

Kennedy really took over from Ron Smith as the guy for those MC-1 slice-of-life oddities, didn't he? His oddballs are every bit as comedic as the Mighty Ron's, but with the added bonus of those greasy, grimy litter-strewn streets and thrillingly mysterious machinery that somehow still managed to look like it all worked.

I miss Cam's Dredd. Sniff!

Cheers

Jim

Yep, for me Cam's Sunday Night Fever MC1 will always be the definitive one.  Only the three Star Wars movies (you know which ones I mean) could match his success in combining futuristic hi-technology and back-alley shabbiness.  No wonder they got him to do the Star Wars comics.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Montynero

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 April, 2014, 12:06:20 PM
Yep, for me Cam's Sunday Night Fever MC1 will always be the definitive one. 

Me too, the perfect Dredd story, everything you need to know about MC-1 in 18 pages, and all so startlingly real.  All too easy to imagine living there.

Only the three Star Wars movies (you know which ones I mean) could match his success in combining futuristic hi-technology and back-alley shabbiness.  No wonder they got him to do the Star Wars comics.

And what lovely things they are too.

Moggot Lover

One that sticks in my mind, I don't know the prog or the name of the story as it was over 25yrs ago or there abouts.
Its about a guy who rob's banks using a device that takes him out of our time sync, It struck me because it was pure sci-fi story and how they go about trying to capture him, made fantastic reading!

"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Moggot Lover on 02 April, 2014, 12:56:47 PM
One that sticks in my mind, I don't know the prog or the name of the story as it was over 25yrs ago or there abouts.
Its about a guy who rob's banks using a device that takes him out of our time sync, It struck me because it was pure sci-fi story and how they go about trying to capture him, made fantastic reading!

The Invisible Man progs #134-135 (1979).

Moggot Lover

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 April, 2014, 01:08:46 PM
Quote from: Moggot Lover on 02 April, 2014, 12:56:47 PM

The Invisible Man progs #134-135 (1979).
You sir, are a gent and a scholar!
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

Dash Decent

Yep, for me Cam's Sunday Night Fever MC1 will always be the definitive one.  Only the three Star Wars movies (you know which ones I mean) could match his success in combining futuristic hi-technology and back-alley shabbiness.  No wonder they got him to do the Star Wars comics.

I particularly loved his work on Rogue Trooper; the look of the guns and equipment and vehicles, and especially Rogue's detour to the Gasbah.  We suddenly see all sorts of great Cam aliens in a setting which is usually human only.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

mogzilla

grud theres too many to choose from...one that stuck out was "doledrums" in a more recentish-ish prog some of the modern era one offs need to be collected in a trade or two!
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience.