Main Menu

Evercade Console

Started by Link Prime, 26 June, 2020, 03:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Link prime if your in the uk check out game they seem to have some of these in stock

Link Prime

Cheers Moly, I am in ROI unfortunately (*fortunately  ;)) though.

Evercade games are not sold by any retailers over here as far as I can tell, I have ordered everything online over the past couple of years.

I did have a Game.co.uk account for years, but as with pretty much everything after Brexit, Amazon UK is the only reliable and cost effective way to get an item delivered from the UK to ROI.

Link Prime

New 'Super Pockets' recently announced, and they are compatible with Evercade cartridges.
Due for release in October.

https://www.hypermegatech.com/

Do you need one? No.
At that price can you afford not to get one? No.

IndigoPrime

The Taito one is pretty great value, assuming the emulation is solid. And the things being compatible with the Evercade catalogue is smart. Natch, some are griping about there being no Taito cart for Evercade consoles, but it's pretty clear that wasn't an option. I would have thought widening the ecosystem to make the entire Evercade range more viable would be a good thing, but fandom is strange.

(I'm not talking about response here, note, obvs.)

Party-Pom-pom

The Tatio one is a day one purchase for me,17 solid games including New Zealand Story and bubble bobble
This is what I wanted from the Evercade,which for me apart from the Dizzy and bitmap bro cartridges has been a little bit of a disapointment as what I wanted was something that ported the Retro arcade into my pocket rather than lots of fighting and indy games.
Good that you can still use evercade carts on this.

IndigoPrime

The issue is always going to be rights. The big companies don't want to give anything away – or they are already tied up in deals. Hence no Namco cart for the EXP, no update from that set of NES games to proper arcade Pac-Man, bundled-only games from Capcom, etc.

Personally, I'd say there have been some good arcade carts. Data East 1 has quality stuff: Burger Time (esp in Tate mode), Chain Reaction, Lock 'n' Chase and Tumblepop. Atari Arcade suffers a bit from lacking the original controls, but if you can deal with that then you've Centipede, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Lunar Lander and Asteroids. Jaleco has Rod Land (albeit with all its slowdown) and some solid shooters. And Irem nets you R-Type, Moon Patrol, Battle Chopper/Mr Heli and the absurdly difficult yet compelling In The Hunt. But, yeah, there are lots of big hits missing.

Honestly, I've enjoyed the indie stuff. Mega Cat 1 is probably my favourite Evercade cart. Xeno Crisis is great. I was less keen on many of the console carts because for me they were the 'wrong' versions. I wanted Amiga Bitmap and Sensi games, not 16-bit console ports. The Lynx collections at worked best, since they were the originals. I guess with the newish blue boxes, Evercade is at heading that way now, although with a mix of publisher and platform collections that feel messy.

I suppose it is what it is. If someone doesn't care about licensed fare and is willing to faff, there are plenty of alternative consoles knocking around, such as those from Anberic and Retroid, which can play pretty much anything you throw at them up to (and sometimes beyond) Dreamcast. They're good units, but I do also like that Evercade is trying to do things properly, and those new handhelds look like they'll offer great impulse-purchase value, even if a buyer never even looks at another cart.

Party-Pom-pom

I need to get that data east cart for burger time,used to love playing the u.k Mr.whimpy version on my spectrum
I'd love to see some carts
With ultimate games stuff on Attic Attak,sabre wulf etc and monty mole

IndigoPrime

Ultimate > Rare > Microsoft. No idea whether that's even feasible, although Microsoft has a couple of times used that old IP, such as with Jetpac Refuelled and Rare Replay. Monty Mole... well, those old 8-bit Gremlin titles should really have been part of the Gremlin cart, but instead we mostly got a fairly awful set of much later games. A pity.

Imagine: Alternative World Games, Avenger, Bounder, Cosmic Causeway, Deflector, HATE, Jack the Nipper, Monty Mole/On the Run/Auf, Re-Bounder, Skate Crazy, Thing on a Spring, Trailblazer, West Bank... You could easily allow people to select versions, to keep folks happy and get them 'their' version of a game.

Party-Pom-pom

Stick monty is innocent on that cart and that would be an unbeatable lineup
I see now why an ultimate cart is problematic,but what a waste oF i.p there,shades of the dan dare corperation for me with so many ideas awaiting remastering or rereleasing.
That Gremlin cart is a perfect example of why I am more often than not disapointed with the evercade in that you often have to buy a cart with several games you have no interest in to get two you do e.g codemasters collection Vol 1 for cannonfodder and sensible soccer

Party-Pom-pom

Thanks for the heads up on the rare replay disc Indigoprime,the years 83-86 tick the box for the games I wanted to play.
Managed to pick a copy up for pennys and although my Xbox is out of action at the moment at least I have a hardcopy of these classics to play at somepoint.

Michael Knight

I bought an evercade EXP and have been so impressed I purchased the VS console too. Just wishes I had nabbed the Duke Nukem limited edition model.
Have to say the evercade really is great value for money. Playing speedball 2 The chaos engine again has been a blast. Really look forward to the latest cart releases.

IndigoPrime

It's a very easy entry point into a lot of old games – zero-faff. And the cart system is quite clever, in scratching the collector itch. Physical media! One thing I would recommend if you haven't already is looking quite deeply at the catalogue. Some of the old arcade carts are dreadful (unless you really like rubbish NES ports of classics), but there's a solid amount of quality indie fare.

I spent a lot of time playing Mega Cat 1. Xeno Crisis is great (if brutal). The first Pico collection is a mixed bag but as some quality. (The second... is not so good.) If you like puzzlers, Mega Cat 2 is also fab. I've not dipped into the Indie Heroes stuff much yet, though, nor any of the newer collections (Alwa's and more recent eg).

Michael Knight

Thanks for the recommendation mate. Those carts look great!