Main Menu

Dan Cornwell or Andy Clarke- Artists Ryder Cup Current vs Classic - Tie 20

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 May, 2021, 06:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

WILD CARD - Dan Cornwell didn't make the tourney proper for Current Tourney but I've pulled him in here as my Current wild card. I'd dare to say that each time he appears folks become more and more aware of what a phenomenal talent he is. Heck if he's one of John Wagner's favourites! Andy Clarke grew before our eyes and the contrast between his early work and the artist he left the Prog as is incredible. I can think of few talents that have grown so much in front of our eyes. Which to of these budding talents takes this tie?

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Dan Cornwell - more info

OR

Andy Clarke - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Monday 31st May

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this new voting work? Look here and why again?

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Ryder Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly have fun!

TordelBack

Dan Cornwell fills me with old-school eye-joy, every corner of every panel and page jammed with activity, everything always moving and emoting: it took me a while to fully appreciate how good he really is, but he's one of the greatest of the new-model droids and a future colossus.

While he did some sharp-edged design and powerful action on stuff like 13 and Snow Tiger I never really warmed to Andy Clarke's idiosyncratic mouths, or his stints on SinDex and Dante,  so I'll take this rare opportunity to go all-in...

Cornwell 5 - Clarke O.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

AlexF

BIG 13 fan here, especially the character designs. Early Andy Clarke is not as good as Cornwell for sure, but that's the fun of watching an artist grow.

Clarke 3, Cornwell 2

Tjm86

As an aside on this one, I have been wondering for a while how Andy Clarke is doing.  He started off "Relay" not that long back but had to drop out after issue 4 which was a real shame as it was actually quite an interesting piece of work.  IIRC there was something about health reasons being behind it but nothing else and I've not seen anything from his since.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

I like Andy's work on Shimura, Dredd and the Downlode duo. Dan has done some great work too, his Judge Fear one-off sticking in my mind.

Andy Clarke 3, Dan Cornwell 2.

Tomwe

Current artist wins due to better knowledge of their work.

Dan Cornwell - 3

Andy Clarke - 2

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Andy Clarke is one of those artists who I dearly wish Tharg had used so much more than he did. He's a name that causes a little jump of joy when I see it, especially when on SiniDex- where he is one of the artists defines the strip for me.

Dan Cornwell has yet to find 'his' 2000AD story in my opinion. It's a shame Rok of the Reds wasnt in the prog in that sense, as I think it would have found a home nicely. And it would have been amusing to see certain online fans caught in a loop of cognitive dissonance regarding moaning about a sport strip/ 'not serious scifi' and it being Wagner.

But I digress.

Andy Clarke 3
Dan Cornwell 2

SBT

broodblik

My main problem with Andy's art is that his characters looks rigid and stiff. Dan is one of those artist which initially did not like at all but has grown on me (it started when I read Rok the God - yes I know his work outside the prog should not count but it is when I started getting into his work).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 28 May, 2021, 10:28:49 AM
My main problem with Andy's art is that his characters looks rigid and stiff. Dan is one of those artist which initially did not like at all but has grown on me (it started when I read Rok the God - yes I know his work outside the prog should not count but it is when I started getting into his work).

Yes Rok is the greyest of areas possible, when it comes to "not being by the house of Tharg" as far as this competition is concerned.

So it's written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, drawn by Dan and lettered by our own Mr Campbell. That's about as 2000AD as it gets.

But it's not published by Rebellion, so strictly speaking it doesn't count. In Colin's rules it says you can't take that into account, but if you did, it's gonna be hard for any one else to know.

Dog Deever

Never been a fan of Clarke's work, like Broodblik I find it stiff and lacking dynamic.
Cornwell 3 Clarke 0
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Last call on this one, another relatively quiet one so there are some votes out there. If so get um in today and I'll count up in the morning.

So given that I popped Dan Cornwell in as my wildcard this one is probably going to be quite predictable isn't it. I love Dan's classic yet modern styling. His storytelling is exceptional and his 'character acting' right up there with the best. Its only a few years since he turned professional and the scary thing is as he gets more experience he's just getting better and better. He'd be one to watch if he wasn't so damned good already.

That said while I do see why folks can find Andy Clarke's figures a little stiff for me I can get past that and since he did one of my favourite runs on one of my favourite strips - his Sinister Dexter work I can't ignore him entirely and so.

Dan Cornwell 4 : Andy Clarke 1