Main Menu

Al Ewing or Ian Edginton- Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 17

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 July, 2021, 06:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sintec

Proudhuff

Quote from: Leigh S on 13 July, 2021, 04:23:55 PM
Purely on the basis of who I would like to see more of in the prog (based on my reaction to their previous work) it would be 4-1 to Al. 

No disrespect to Ian, whose work I generally enjoy - he is already romping home with this one, in any case!  But Al is the one that got away (the Next Generation) for me.

This for me ^^^

Scarlet Traces, Stickleback are two of my favourites, but for every one of them there is a Kingmaker or DemX to balance them out for me while with the very odd exception the Ale Wing droid is consistantly tickling my trout... his Dredd's are soo good.

4-1 to the big Al.
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Leigh S on 13 July, 2021, 04:23:55 PM
No disrespect to Ian, whose work I generally enjoy - he is already romping home with this one, in any case!  But Al is the one that got away (the Next Generation) for me.

I'll third this.  Edginton is great, but Ewing has written some of the best Dredd tales in existence as far as I'm concerned; including Wagner ones.

Al 4, Ian 1
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Last day of voting folks - not just here BUT in this tourney - introduction to the next one up already! So one last time get you votes in - recent voting suggests that last minutes votes could still have a big impact. A recent swing towards Al mean I have no idea which way this one is going???

Mind its the same from my view. This one is tough. Al left us too soon. He was producing some wonderful, wonderful work. But as is traditional that means that States came and took him and have held on to him so his appearances for Tharg are fleeting to say the least. Ian Edginton however is an absolute stalwart and my recent re-read has shown, though he has the odd miss for me, overall his hits by far out number those and some of his hits are absolute top draw, some of my favourite thrills, Red Seas and Brass Sun standing out as my highlights but I could find so many more. While Al is possibly the writer I'm most like to switch back to Team Current (for whom that is a realistic prospect) Ian has done far too much great work to be ignored and so on that basis:

Al Ewing 2 : Ian Edginton 3

Magnetica

Link Prime

I initially thought this would be a much tighter vote, but taking everything into consideration:

Edington 4 / Ewing 1

Colin YNWA

VOTING (AND TOURNEY!) CLOSED

So there we have it a titanic final vote fitting of this wonderful tourney. Ian Edginton earnt a strong lead but Al Ewing came back strongly - in the end however not strong enough to over turn that commanding position and he added another point to Team Current's also commanding, victorious position.

The final score therefore

TEAM CURRENT 10.5 : Team Classic 6.5

Team Current 791 : Team Classic 644