Main Menu

Meg 439 - Snow Mercy

Started by broodblik, 15 December, 2021, 08:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Just read the Lenny Zero text story, thought it was excellent.

JayzusB.Christ

I'd forgotten all about it- thanks for the reminder! I'll read it right now.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: broodblik on 15 December, 2021, 08:42:22 AM
Cover and Logo:

Every time I read that title I have The Clash's Guns of Brixton in my head... not a bad thing and a suitable image.
DDT did a job on me

Timothy

Quote from: BPP on 18 December, 2021, 12:32:50 PM
The surfer meta-joke about writing choppers death was too good. Great xmas Meg.

This. Proper laughs at that one, and so true.

Robin Low

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 December, 2021, 09:03:35 AM
I've only read some of this so far, but a few things stood out:

Dredd was a massive arsehole here, to a degree that was quite disarming. Perhaps I've got used to a slightly more reasonable take on the lawman, but in this strip I was really blindsided by how it ended up.

I've noticed there's a trend here in Niemand's Dredd. He's undoubtedly one of the best Dredd writers, but his Dredd is a meaner, more callous character. I mean, you could have told pretty much exactly the same story, but without Dredd calling the natives 'goons', 'cave-freaks' and 'dumb alien simps', and even making his motives more ambiguous (are the resources merely his official justification for doing the right thing in protecting the natives?).

I've been on the cusp of dropping 2000AD and the Meg for a number of years now, but I'm wondering if the time has finally come. I only buy them for Dredd, and if this is the way Dredd is going then I don't care anymore. (Trouble is, you occasionally get something like Ian Edginton's Dez Rez in the previous issue, and you end up thinking just one more month...).

Regards,

Robin

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Meg 439

1st - Lawless - political machinations aplenty

2nd - Surfer - Wagner and MacNeil

3rd - Death Cap - Cook on fire with colours and widescreen panels.

Enjoyed the Lenny Zero text story and the collection of Christmas-themed thrills too.
Juvie Jovis story was excellent.