Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Harke and Burr vs. Slaine Rd 3 Heat 28

Started by Colin YNWA, 31 May, 2022, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 4 has the full range of ties. From probably one of the most one sided match-ups we will see this round... and when I say probably, I mean definitely. To a couple of absolute stinkers. There is as you might imagine plenty in between as well.

You want a mismatch, I'll give you a mismatch! I don't think we'll get as mismatched a tie in this Round, or indeed the tournament as a whole after this one! I mean Harke and Burr have taken down R.A.M. Raiders in Round 2, but that's not really much by way of preparation is it. Slaine chopped up Bix Barton and joined the exclusive 20+ votes club. This one will be brutal.

Harke and Burr - more info

Vs

Slaine - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 3rd June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

abelardsnazz

Harke and Burr was fun but don't think they'd last long against Brainbiter.

Slaine.

rogue69

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Aaron A Aardvark

Blue Cactus

Always loved Ormston's art on Harke and Burr but it's got to be Slaine here.

AlexF

I know there are some Sláine haters out there but he's done so much in so many different types of stories that it's hard to hate ALL of it, surely? Harke & Burr is one thing and one thing only - although it IS a fun version of that thing.

So yeah, Sláine.

IndigoPrime

I've read Harke and Burr at least twice. It's left no real impression on me, bar me not wanting to read it again. Sláine is for me the most inconsistent of 2000 AD's big guns, in that it hits remarkable highs (Sky Chariots; The King; Spoils of Annwn; Horned God; Book of Invasions, bar that scene) but also the lows of an awful lot of what appeared between Horned God and Book of Invasions, and, for me, everything after the wonderful first book of Britannia Chronicles.

So Sláine might not have thought it too many, but I did. Even so, it's an easy win for the barbarian here.

Barrington Boots

Slaine definitely went from great to not so great imo but it's superior to Harke and Burr in so many respects.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Link Prime

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

with slaine, i feel that we had a few years of excellent (if a little derivative) stories - but we then had three decades of some of the poorest writing seen in the prog. for me, anyway, it's impossible to ignore the latter.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)