Main Menu

Best 2000 AD strips of 2022

Started by norton canes, 03 January, 2023, 11:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnW

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 10 January, 2023, 05:43:03 PM
I suspect I might not be unbiased
Just say that your vote for Proteus Vex is based purely on the quality of the art and the lettering. That should keep everything convincingly above board.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JWare on 10 January, 2023, 06:48:32 PM
Quote from: Mike Carroll on 10 January, 2023, 05:43:03 PM
I suspect I might not be unbiased
Just say that your vote for Proteus Vex is based purely on the quality of the art and the lettering. That should keep everything convincingly above board.
That is tempting...!

JohnW

And maybe you could promise that an important character in an upcoming story is to be called Norton Canes.
That'll make sure your vote will be counted.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Mike Carroll

Quote from: JWare on 11 January, 2023, 12:10:59 AM
And maybe you could promise that an important character in an upcoming story is to be called Norton Canes.
That'll make sure your vote will be counted.
That's funny, because by an amazing coincidence there actually is a Judge Norton Canes in the story I'm currently writing! What are the odds of that happening, eh?

JohnW

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 11 January, 2023, 12:48:07 AM
There actually is a Judge Norton Canes in the story I'm currently writing!
Does he have matinée idol looks? Does he crack the case and save the day? I look forward to reading it. Also, allow me to congratulate you on the success of Proteus Vex, voted best strip of 2022 in a late landslide. Well deserved.

Link Prime

Getting insight into the favourite strips of the 2000AD Droids would be very welcome - with the chivalrous caveat that they don't vote for their own work!

broodblik

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 January, 2023, 10:29:28 AM
Getting insight into the favourite strips of the 2000AD Droids would be very welcome - with the chivalrous caveat that they don't vote for their own work!

It is like asking politicians not to vote for themselves :)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 January, 2023, 10:29:28 AM
Yeah, I can't see that happening!
(Besides, then we'd actually have to read the other droids' strips, instead of just pretending that we do when we meet them at a con.)

norton canes

Well, the results have been collected, counted, sorted, verified and corroborated by a panel of impartial adjudi-meks fitted with encrypto-locked integrity circuits; and I can therefore announce - though it may cost me the chance to be immortalised in Mega-City One history - that The Out has won the the Best 2000 AD strip of 2022 (non-Dredd) poll for a third consecutive year

1    2    3   
The Out
Proteus Vex
Chimpsky's Law
Brink
Jaegir
Hershey
Hope
Kingmaker
Sinister Dexter
Saphir
Future Shocks/Terror Tales
Fiends Of The Eastern Front
Enemy Earth

2022 Best 2000 AD strip (non-Dredd): The Out

The fact that it only appeared in three progs, at the very start and end of the year, is a testament to its popularity and it means the Abnett droid's record in the six years this poll has been running is three victories for Brink followed by a hat-trick for his account of Cyd Finlea's intergalactic odyssey. It's not all bad news for droids with vested interests though, as Proteus Vex ran it much closer than any other strip has done before; and with Chimpsky's Law pipping Brink to third place, we have a healthy-looking top three by different authors. In fact, having seven stories with at least one first-place vote to their name indicates that the prog is still providing something for everyone.

As for 2023... will the forthcoming Abnett/Bettin blockbuster Azimuth embark on the first step of its own trio of triumphs? Can anyone knock 2000 AD's imperious scribe off his perch? If we get another chapter of Brink, will he monopolize the top three? See you in a year!

norton canes

Quote from: norton canes on 11 January, 2023, 10:59:12 AMThe Out has won the the Best 2000 AD strip of 2022 (non-Dredd) poll for a third consecutive year

Sorry, that should of course simply read '...has won the the Best 2000 AD strip (non-Dredd) poll for a third consecutive year'

Colin YNWA

Great work Norton canes, thanks so much for running this.

Most interesting thing to me is how much Brink has fallen from grace (well relatively). I LOVED the new series, but you could see in the review thread it wasn't getting the same love it used to.

Jake Lynch

Congratulations to The Out, thoroughly deserved, not that I've been following or anything you understand... I mean, it's fine...It's just a bit of fun right? I would never take it personally... Is it dusty in here? No, it's just something in my eye, they're tears of joy - Sniff -

Many thanks to Earthlet Canes for they're hard work and all those who voted - Rigellian Hotshots all round!
@ArtDroid_Lynch

Magnetica

Yes I'm also surprised by the relative fall of Brink. Maybe it's was due to the focus on a different lead character. Comments on the review thread at the time indicate that might be the case. It didn't really bother me and I can think of a couple of TV series that did that without it harming them.

When I voted for Proteus Vex, I wasn't consciously aware that the bulk of the previous series was actually in 2021 not 2022. I must be mis-remembering as I thought it had started in the Xmas Prog. Oh well maybe not.

broodblik

Proteus Vex since its inception always started in the xmas prog but the bulk of the episodes is the next year as we have it again this year. Last year it ran from prog 2262 (xmas prog end of 2021) up until 2274 (all in 2022)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

This is cool. Thanks Norton, for doing this!

I'm not surprised by Brink's slide in the rankings: I didn't think it was bad, just not as good as previous series and not as good as the stuff I voted ahead of it. I'd probably have ranked it 7th or 8th if I was doing a top ten. It was also really, really long.
I didn't realise we'd had so little of The Out in 2022 though, so in retrospect perhaps shouldn't have ranked it as high. Worthy winner though, because it's so good.
You're a dark horse, Boots.