Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

I really wish they'd ditch the cover art thing. I get that it's a way to keep people subscribing, to complete the spine. But it's a usability disaster, and it results in so many screw-ups.

TordelBack

Don't know nuffink about misaligned spines, but the Dark Justice volume is one hell of a bargain. This is one of the finest collections of painted comics art you're likely to see, both the Staples and Kendall sections. More than worth the wait!

sintec

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2019, 07:48:46 PM
Don't know nuffink about misaligned spines, but the Dark Justice volume is one hell of a bargain. This is one of the finest collections of painted comics art you're likely to see, both the Staples and Kendall sections. More than worth the wait!

Really looking forward to this delivery; paired with the next Strontium Dog it's got the potential to be a massive thrill power overload.

Nikolai and Slaine the following month. And then 3 unknowns (next A.B.C. Warriors, next Rogue and Ichabod I reckon although not necessarily in that order) followed by another Slaine (I'm sensing a pattern here). I'm actually quite looking forward to this upcoming run, despite the Slaine (I'm yet to read the recently delivered vol5 though so maybe I'll change my mind when I get around to that).

2 more Slaine vols should get us through to the start of the Book of Invasions I reckon. Do I recall someone saying it picks back up around there?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 02 August, 2019, 08:57:23 PM

Nikolai and Slaine the following month. And then 3 unknowns (next A.B.C. Warriors, next Rogue and Ichabod I reckon although not necessarily in that order) followed by another Slaine (I'm sensing a pattern here).

Make that 1 unknown, followed by [spoiler]ABC Warriors 5 (start of the Volgan War) [/spoiler] and [spoiler]Strontium Dog 7 - Final Solution, completing the classic run[/spoiler]. And then, yes, more Slaine!
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

55 is rogue 4 if that's the one you mean.

sintec

Had a lazy start to the weekend and finished Slaine vol 5.  It's certainly not up to the quality of some of the earlier books in terms of story. I enjoyed it marginally more than I was expecting but that's probably because my expectations were pretty low based on past discussions here.

Ukko really steals the show in this volume. Cloak of Fear is the best of the stories in the book and for me the Ukko section of Treasures Of Britain was the best part of that story. Overall though the plot of Treasures just felt like a weak rehash of the Horned God's "gotta collect the things" quest but with less purpose or jeopardy.

I think a big part of the problem is the lack of a good baddie. The Guledig just doesn't really work for me in the way Slough Feg did (or Elfric for that matter). It all just seems to be a platform for Pat to show off his research and pound his philosophical drum. Slaine needs a good foil, a Torquemarda to his Nemesis, and that just doesn't seem to be there anymore.

King of Hearts just felt like an even weaker version of more of the same.  It's a shame the art is so murky here as Nick's work is stunning when it escapes from the mudddiness. He acknowledges as much in the text in the back and seeing his recent work in the Megazine it's clear he's learned to pull this off without descending into murk.

sintec

The Krool Heart - wow, I can see why that's considered a classic.  Nothing else in that volume really stands a chance next to that. Kano felt a bit dragged out and heavy handed.  Everything else was fine just overshadowed by the opener.

Max Headroom

Does anyone know which number volume 'Ichabod Azrael' will be?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Max Headroom on 07 August, 2019, 08:26:23 PM
Does anyone know which number volume 'Ichabod Azrael' will be?

No, but there are only four slots unaccounted for now. So it'll be either 63, 65, 67 or 78.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Either Volume 56, 64; the other being the 2nd Future Shocks volume.

Which will be one of the 4 Issues Dark Jimbo named above (63, 65, 67, 78). I think the other three are Rogue Trooper (?), Strontium Dog (Life & Death Of Johnny Alpha) and A.B.C. Warriors (presumably the conclusion of Volgan War).

I'm wondering if we'll see more Ro-Busters over those last 2 ABC volumes?
From the strip counts on Barney The Volgan War doesn't seem long enough for 2 books but is too much for 1.

Dark Jimbo

Yes, sorry, should clarify my numbers were 'issue' numbers, not the volume numbers that will be on the spine.
@jamesfeistdraws

karlos

Apologies if this has already been asked, but what does anyone happen to know what we can expect the contents of the Durham Red volume to be?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: karlos on 08 August, 2019, 03:07:29 PM
Apologies if this has already been asked, but what does anyone happen to know what we can expect the contents of the Durham Red volume to be?

Scarlet Cantos, Masque of the Red Death, Vermin Stars and Empty Suns run to 238 strip pages. Throw in title pages, intro and outro, and that's about the upper page limit of these books.

The only shame there is that we won't have room for The Scarlet Apocrypha, which isn't 'canon' but was huge fun.
@jamesfeistdraws

karlos

Thanks a million, Dark Jimbo.

That is going to be one very nice looking book.

Yeah, always meant to read Scarlet Apocrypha - was it ever reprinted or is it a "track down the megazines" job?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: karlos on 08 August, 2019, 03:24:44 PM
Yeah, always meant to read Scarlet Apocrypha - was it ever reprinted or is it a "track down the megazines" job?

It was reprinted in the Rebellion Empty Suns book, I'm fairly sure.

Might be easier to track down the Megazines though, to be honest!
@jamesfeistdraws