Main Menu

Cradlegrave

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 July, 2009, 09:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

I'm mildly astonished that no-one seems to have mentioned this, from Gavin's superb 2000AD Review site.

A whole episode of Smiffy's Cradlegrave script, dotted with the relevant frames from the finished artwork. Well worth a look, peeps.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Please excuse my ungentlemanly language, but fuck me!

Dandontdare

Interesting - the link to a big photo of a skunk plant part way through made me chuckle.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 23 July, 2009, 04:32:15 PM

Fair play, I try to do the same myself round where i live.  I spent years and years complaining about the litter in Ireland then realised I was doing absolutely fuck all about it myself.  It's like voting, I suppose - your complaints about the government mean absolutely zero if you never even tried to vote them out.

I think one of the simplest aspects of this issue is the severe lack of street bins in Dublin which indicates to me that those in power have little awareness of what actually goes on in their capital's streets at the most basic levels of existence. Probably because they are used to someone else always tidying up after the mess they've made and that's analogous to just about every other issue in this country at the moment. The basic principles just aren't there.

the shutdown man

I was coming home from work yesterday; I got off the bus in my estate and it was a particularly warm, humid day. On walking home, I noticed there seemed to be more bugs flying around then usual, and then I looked down; At every crack in the ground, they were swarming, hundreds of them everywhere, which doesn't usually happen around here. A few of them were still on my clothes when I got into the house. I'm not particularly fond of insects anyway, but I found this pretty creepy, and then the similarities to Cradlegrave hit me. That did not help.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

mogzilla

got mine from amazon and its still a stonker! much better collected as in the weekly it was a bit confusing as one chav looks ike another...  the real payoff for me is the fact that it leaves it in the air...no explainations reasons etc it just is....

would make a brilliant tv series

Hoagy

Yep got mine a couple of weeks ago too. Cheers for this. Its worthy of its accolades. I'd missed out 3 eps I think, in the original run. And the pace is a little slow because you're dying to know how its going at so and so's house while we're with unsympathetic character #1, but it's all worthwhile in the endcome.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Emperor

Review by Bucky in Starburst:

QuoteThanks to this grounding in the harsh realities of what we now dismiss as Britain's feral underclass, when the Cronenbergian horror elements creep into the mix they seem right at home, dragging Ravenglade Estate into the bowels of hell. Bagwell's art cements the authenticity of urban life and excels in the grotesque, bringing out the best in Smith's measured pacing. The introduction by Ramsey Campbell should hint that Cradlegrave offers something out-of-the-ordinary and he's right. Cradlegrave is a sickening affirmation of everything you ever feared about society and it exposes the worst of our traits without ever resorting to exaggeration or stereotyping.

www.starburstmagazine.com/reviews/comic-reviewscomics-a-graphic-novels/1890-comic-review-cradlegrave
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

GordyM

Read it this morning. Bloody hell! One of the creepiest, most enthralling and atmospheric stories I've ever seen. The way Mary represented the festering evil in the town was masterfully done, as was the accurate depiction of the decaying warzones such places are becoming (it hit home a bit too hard at times seeing as I live in a town like that).

This one's gonna linger in my head for a long time to come.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file