Main Menu

Rok the God Kickstarter

Started by dancornwell, 13 August, 2019, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Those are fantastic Colin. The football page especially.

I had to restrain picking up a Rok page as I've nowhere to display it. These are just great.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Last of my recent Dan Cornwell pieces.

Love the page design and the way it draws the eye to Kyle who sends the eye to the Alien Bounty Hunter looming over him, just a very clever page. Also love the way it perfectly reflects the series as a whole, football alien sci-fi romp.

Oh and seriously the detail in the way Dan draws the darkened town and the stadium is just astonishing.

Colin YNWA

Wow was expecting this. John Wagner is promoting his upcoming Bogie Man collection's Kickstarter via his previous Rok the God Kickstarter and said this

QuoteHi, all you Rokkers!  I've written the first chapter of Rok 3 - 'Rok the World' - but have to confess I got cold feet considering the amount of contributions it would need to get it off the ground.  In many ways it depends on the success of a new Kickstarter project: The Bogie Man - The Incomplete Case Files...

WOW! We could get more Rok!

Please let this happen!

Trooper McFad

Fantastic news I got the email too.

I was swithering on the Bogie Man but he's just sold another copy.

I've enjoyed the last two RoK books and I'd definitely pledge in another Kickstarter.

🤞🏻Bogie Man does exceptionally well and John goes for book 3
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Just clicked on the old RoK Kickstarter page and what struck me was only 346 people backed this!!

I wonder how many books were printed then sold?
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 May, 2023, 05:10:07 PMJust clicked on the old RoK Kickstarter page and what struck me was only 346 people backed this!!

I wonder how many books were printed then sold?

Yeah I find it just staggering when you look at the silly numbers on some Kickerstarters that someone as talented and important as John is even having to worry about this. He should be flooded with buys the comic is SO good.

Also Dan is so good as well, he really should be a mega-star and able to pull hugh support on a Kickstarter.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 May, 2023, 08:51:13 PMYeah I find it just staggering when you look at the silly numbers on some Kickerstarters that someone as talented and important as John is even having to worry about this. He should be flooded with buys the comic is SO good.

I worked on a Kickstarter that made somewhere north of £375K* that was... charitably... nowhere near as good as this. Manipulating the social media algorithms is the key here. Product quality is... not.

*No... I wasn't on a percentage. Even though I stepped in at the last minute and rescued them from a production nightmare. Obviously, I'm not remotely bitter about this.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

It's a crap situation. But then I've always felt something has been off about John Wagner and this industry. His body of work on Dredd alone should be held in the same regard as many of the very top comics creators. When you add to that his full body of work, it's astonishing how he's relatively little known outside of a smallish niche.

I suspect some of that is down to his humble nature. And there's also that sense that he decided for the most part to not head off to Marvel/DC/etc, and so what he's worked on hasn't 'helped'. But, yeah, a new John Wagner Kickstarter shouldn't be something that struggles. It should be something where people are clamouring for the thing and yelling BUY THIS RIGHT NOW.

Barrington Boots

I've been part of a team who worked on a failed Kickstarter (not comic related) and success is definitely down to social media. I also check out comics on there on a fairly regular basis and there's some real rubbish getting funded, it's dreadful that Rok didn't hit the levels it probably should have.

Based on what I've seen on there the best way for Rok 3 to make a lot of money is to have alternate covers with art of naked women on them. This is a sad reflection on the comic buying audience.

I definitely agree with John Wagner being underrated, but I do wonder if the football aspect doesn't help. Most of us I suspect are of an age when football and comics were a thing, but the fanbases seem to have significantly divided since then.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

the bogie man kickstarter seems to be cracking on - I signed up as soon as I got the e-mail and it was already at £3200 out of £5000