Main Menu

Why doesn't Judge Rico get his own strip?

Started by judgerussell, 19 December, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JamesC on 22 December, 2014, 04:12:02 PM
If we had a new Rico strip I'd like it to be an ensemble procedural like Top Ten crossed with NYPD Blue.
Call it 'The Judges of Sector House 10' or something. It could have a rolling cast as characters are killed and get promoted. You could have a nice mix of down to earth detective stories, supernatural stuff and more wacky future crime stuff but all told from a more group based perspective than you get with the main strip.

Hmmmm... apart from the supernatural stuff, that sounds very much like both Sector House and The Pit
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: The Adventurer on 20 December, 2014, 09:34:52 PM
In fact the pressure of being 'the next Judge Dredd' seems lik something you can hang a whole series on.

Yes, and indeed that was a major part of Necropolis.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 December, 2014, 04:35:52 PM

Fair enough. I suppose I'd just worry that it may veer off into Anderson territory where hugely significant political events happen and are promptly forgotten about in the main Dredd strip.  In fact it kind of happened in the Dredd strip itself; when groundwork was being put in place for the Sino war that never was.

I understand the problem with non-Wagner Dredd-world stuff to be that Wagner largely ignores it.

ZenArcade

James C makes a good point. In my opinion the Megazine never really fulfilled it's basal remit, which was to explore in depth aspects of Dredd's world. It spread itself too far and frankly too thinly. A storyline where a character like Rico or indeed an ensemble of popular sub characters explore the day to day, week to week working of the Citizenry and systems which constitute the Mega City would be in my estimation a truly positive benefit to the Prog/Meg and would serve to inform and enhance the Dredd setting for all of us. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

rs_jr

yes give him his own strip and maybe launch into a quest into space like the Judge Child quest, he can run into the Dark judges but ultimately to help him set different encounters that Dredd never went through