Main Menu

Why doesn't Judge Rico get his own strip?

Started by judgerussell, 19 December, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Adventurer on 20 December, 2014, 01:49:00 PM
And saying that such strips would only be 'superfluous' or 'irrelevant' strikes me as more of a lack of imagination then anything else.

Fair enough. I suppose I'd just worry that it may veer off into Anderson territory where hugely significant political events happen and are promptly forgotten about in the main Dredd strip.  In fact it kind of happened in the Dredd strip itself; when groundwork was being put in place for the Sino war that never was.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Skullmo

I wish someone would explain what that whole Sino war story was going to be and who it was going to be written by!
It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

Que Trumpet fanfare and enter Dark days David Bishop! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

Well I think the racist portrayals of Chinese people throughout that non-story would have been disgraceful; and the writer and artist would both should have ought to have would of have of been ashamed of themselves.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

ZenArcade

Judge Russell and I were discussing some of the decisions made in the 90's and we were aghast....the farming out of the advertising contract with the 2 resulting s exist ads was IMO firstly just plain sexist and secondly suicide in terms of attracting readership; let alone keeping the then current readership. Z

ZenArcade

Just had a heads up from a good friend. My profuse apologies to Dave Bishop, he was not the editor at the period in question and I won't say who was. Again any implication of slight against DDDB is utterly withdrawn and apologies made. Z :-[

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: ZenArcade on 21 December, 2014, 06:30:10 PM
Just had a heads up from a good friend. My profuse apologies to Dave Bishop, he was not the editor at the period in question and I won't say who was. Again any implication of slight against DDDB is utterly withdrawn and apologies made. Z :-[

I was kind of joking about the racism thing, but here's the man himself explaining some of those decisions.  I like to think that the fact that I reminded him of the regrettable Loaded ads kind of means that I wrote that chapter of Thrill Power Overload single-handedly.  In fact, no - I wrote it all.  That's what I like to think, me.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=2279.0

Molch-R

Just checking in on a slow Sunday night and can't say I'm happy with the way this thread has gone - please take greater care of your language when discussing our creators and editorial staff, past and present.

Skullmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 December, 2014, 06:45:45 PM

I was kind of joking about the racism thing, but here's the man himself explaining some of those decisions.  I like to think that the fact that I reminded him of the regrettable Loaded ads kind of means that I wrote that chapter of Thrill Power Overload single-handedly.  In fact, no - I wrote it all.  That's what I like to think, me.

I love how angry everyone seemed to be in the early forum   :lol:

Steven Denton

It's been said that the real star of Judge Dredd is the city. And there in lies the problem with spin off strips. Dredd is perfectly capable of taking the back seat in his own strip so if a writer had a brilliant idea for a Hershey story there is no compelling reason why she couldn't take the lead for a while.  The question isn't even 'why not Dredd' it's why can't this be story told in Judge Dredd?' a Rico Strip would be redundant because Dredd's strip is Dredd's world not Dredd himself.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 December, 2014, 12:26:47 AM

I know. How dare Dave Bishop answer my question in such an articulate, honest and interesting manner?

Skullmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 December, 2014, 01:59:44 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 22 December, 2014, 12:26:47 AM

I know. How dare Dave Bishop answer my question in such an articulate, honest and interesting manner?

I don't understand, I don't think how he responded to you was an issue. Maybe I missed something in his response if you found it offensive?

JayzusB.Christ

Mate, I'm joking!  If I remember rightly, I actually sent him a message after that thanking him for such a thorough and honest answer.  Some other boarders seemed to be pissed off with him at the time, though, for 'spoiling' a forthcoming chapter of Thrill Power Overload in answering my question.

Skullmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 December, 2014, 03:14:31 PM
Mate, I'm joking!  If I remember rightly, I actually sent him a message after that thanking him for such a thorough and honest answer.  Some other boarders seemed to be pissed off with him at the time, though, for 'spoiling' a forthcoming chapter of Thrill Power Overload in answering my question.

Ahh, yeah I meant the others not you.

plus just generally looking back through past threads - people just used to get really annoyed with the work of creators and start putting it down. I am really glad that kind of thing has generally stopped!

JamesC

If we had a new Rico strip I'd like it to be an ensemble procedural like Top Ten crossed with NYPD Blue.
Call it 'The Judges of Sector House 10' or something. It could have a rolling cast as characters are killed and get promoted. You could have a nice mix of down to earth detective stories, supernatural stuff and more wacky future crime stuff but all told from a more group based perspective than you get with the main strip.