Main Menu

Non 2000ad artwork that you own ....

Started by Fatboydale, 20 January, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fatboydale

Andy_Lee

Link Prime

You gotta be shittin me Dale...incredible, iconic page.

I'd probably eat it like the Tooth Fairy in Red Dragon!

ming

Some art arrived today but it's difficult to scan so I'll try and take some proper pics tomorrow...

For now, here's a tease of some initials that will mean nothing to most of you but be instantly recognisable to others, I imagine.

Spikes

And ill throw some initials back at you - TTA....?

If so, then im most interested to hear the full story......

ming

You're in the right ballpark, JJ!  I don't think this one appeared in a TTA book though, but in one of the associated 'Galactic Encounters' series.  Anyway, it was originally commissioned as a Gordon R. Dickson book cover.  As I say, I'll attempt to take some proper pics for CAF tomorrow (it's a fair size), but here's a full shot in the meantime:

Peter Elson, Mission to Universe (1978)

Spikes

Yikes! Now i love me a bit of Peter's art, and this is stunning.

Those TTA books was my introduction to his work, and was a huge fan from the off.

Now, you'd kinda mentioned that something BIG was coming and even named the artist, yet my brain obviously didnt process it correctly, and i expecting to see something else entirely......
My bad!!

Well,  huge congratulations on snagging this!

hippynumber1

ming

Thanks, Iain.  Growing up on those TTA books, I loved Peter's style and I've such vivid memories of his paintings.  He was remarkably skilled in presenting a fully-formed scene that let your imagination run wild; such a great talent.  Anyway, when I found out about this it was too good an opportunity to pass up.  The detail is mindboggling (bear in mind this was reduced to standard small paperback size).

Graff Vynda K

Wonderful! Is there anyone who didn't think those TTA books were the the dogs b*llocks?

Was that from his families website? I've noodled around there for a while, but all the pieces that really spoke to me have already been snagged.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

Ben - yeah, I picked this up from Peter's sister, Pam.  There are a lot of great pieces shown on the website (http://www.peterelson.co.uk/) but as you say, the pick of the bunch have already been sold.  You can be fairly certain that if we both made a list of our top ten, they'd look pretty similar!  Pebble in the Sky, The Outposter, The Early Williamson, Welcome to Mars, The Power of Blackness, Reach for the Stars, Prime Number...  Those are some of my favourites, anyway.  As it was, Mission to Universe was the best of the remaining bunch and I figured if I hung around, it wouldn't!

I'll get it up on CAF, with some detail shots, soon.

Dunk!

Gawd, there's some pictures in his gallery that give me goosebumps due to how much they meant to me when I scoured the TTA books as an impressionable child.

If I could own an original of one of those I'd probably weep openly for a bit when it turned up (keeping it at a safe distance to prevent water damage)

Cheers for the share Ming.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 29 January, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
There are a lot of great pieces shown on the website (http://www.peterelson.co.uk/) but as you say, the pick of the bunch have already been sold.  You can be fairly certain that if we both made a list of our top ten, they'd look pretty similar!  Pebble in the Sky, The Outposter, The Early Williamson, Welcome to Mars, The Power of Blackness, Reach for the Stars, Prime Number...  Those are some of my favourites, anyway.

Yeah, I'd go with that list, though id have to add Pirates Of The Asteroids and especially  Spaceship Graveyard, and Derelict 2 - as they both featured in the classic Space Wrecks TTA book.

But a good little site, that. I've had it saved in my favourites for a good few years, but haven't stopped by in a while. So thanks for the excuse/reminder to do so.

ming

Quote from: Judge Jack on 29 January, 2014, 09:55:34 PMYeah, I'd go with that list, though id have to add Pirates Of The Asteroids and especially  Spaceship Graveyard, and Derelict 2 - as they both featured in the classic Space Wrecks TTA book.

Those last two are indeed amazing; Derelict 2 was featured as a fold-out in Spacewreck, unless I'm imagining that... The sheer level of detail in Spaceship Graveyard is unbelievable.  Man, these really bring back some memories, don't they?