Main Menu

"Print to file"?? What's wrong with the printer?

Started by Oddboy, 28 March, 2003, 03:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Oddgirl & I got a printer for our home PC this week (A Lexmark Z33 if that means anything to you).

Plugged it in, connected it to the computer, installed the CD-ROM printer software, loaded up with paper, hit "PRINT" - and it comes up with all manner of bollocks about "Print to file" - asking which file I want to print TO.  I want to print to the printer, not to a file.

What's it jibbering about?
Anyone got any groovy solutions/ideas?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Slippery PD

Print to file is an option thats used for PC's that arent connected to a printer.  You print to file take it to another pc  and Abracadabra it prints.  In truth its pants.

Simplistically, go to printers Right mouse click and select the properties of the printer thats Default (the one with the tick) make sure its the printer thats connected to your PC.  In properties on one of the tabs there will be a print test page, use this and check that a print comes out of your printer.  It may be that you are printing to a printer that does not exist, make sue the lexmark is the defualt.  ( most common cause).  

If this is all hunky dorey, send me a mail off list and Ill help out as best I can!!!

Yer "computer techy type" Slippo

Oddboy

I'll give it a go tonight, thanks Slippo.

This site is great, you get much more help & information on any subject quicker then any search engine.
The Lexmark website's Tech Support page was pants: it consisted of 3 pages; the first asks which country you live in, the second asks you what language you speak, and the third page "cannot be displaid".  Refreshing the last one takes you back to the first and the loop continued until I put the printer underneath the computer table so I couldn't see it & played 'Hearts' instead.

Oddboy

Ta muchly Slippo - my printer now works!

YAY!