Main Menu

Shooting completed for Judge Dredd

Started by Mike Carroll, 21 February, 2011, 05:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge Palmer

And that's why I WONT be paying to see the new Spiderman movie and don't pay a subscription to any comic publication as I like the freedom to choose to buy a comic with a character, story/plotline and artwork that I like rather than receiving some issues that I like and some I don't.

I do vote with my feet and my wallet!
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

Mardroid

Quote from: Teivion on 05 March, 2011, 09:43:42 AM
Let The Right One In is a classic case.
Amazing film, great book ( I did prefer the screenplay I'll admit)

Yet the Hollywoodians chose to remake it so shortly after its original release- if that's not trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator I don't know what is.

In that film's case, I think it was mainly due to the fact it was a foreign language film. There are just so many English speakers who won't watch a film with subtitles.  Their loss, and I think things should be different.

Unfortunately I think we're in the minority there, so at least in this case the remake is understandable if a shame. On the plus side, I think it was quite widely publicised  that it was a remake, so those who are unaware of more worldwide films have an opportunity to seek it out, if so inclined.

I wish that didn't have to happen though.

CYCLOPZ

Thought I'd post this review of the original Judge Dredd film here.

This guys opinions on Judge Dredd are so wrong its hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQENAU8RyMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ema8P4B30

MarsHottentot

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 March, 2011, 03:35:40 PM
Quote from: Judge Palmer on 05 March, 2011, 03:04:37 PM
But then to trample all over the financially and commercial  successful franchise a few years after (upcoming Spiderman movie for example) to make a quick buck as well as cashing in on the current 3D money pot is just wrong!  

...but what's new?, the comic industry does exactly the same thing every few years, re-booting/re-making characters, killing off villains/heroes, ridiculous resurrections, ignoring continuity, multiple publications etc. It's all par for the course and the fans lap it up despite complaining.

Why should Hollywood be different?, comic fans complaining of such things as remakes/alterations should question the comics industry before they complain about Hollywood which is just giving them what they all ready pay for in the comic world. If you don't like it, don't pay for it that's the greatest power fans have.

Hollywood is a monolith that rarely takes chances that are perceived too risky, look at Scott Pilgrim, it's a fine film but it tanked because there wasn't enough interest shown by fans or the public-at-large so the industry perceives it as the 'audience' doesn't want it to change too much at all.

Yeah, that always makes me laugh, the fanboys who practically bleed from the eyes regarding some paradigm shift in their favorite book - yet they still buy it month after month, confirming that despite the whining the book was a success.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Cyclopz on 07 March, 2011, 11:40:26 PM

Thought I'd post this review of the original Judge Dredd film here.

This guys opinions on Judge Dredd are so wrong its hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQENAU8RyMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_ema8P4B30

His opinions explain why the film is bad.

Leigh S

Not going to pick all his wrongness in that clip to pieces, but Eagle comics Judge Dredd issue 1 was the biggest selling indie comic in the US (at least until that point - may have been changed since). So yes, I'm not trying to say Dredd is "big" in the US, as thats ridiculous, but the Eagle comics were incredibly popular for a short time (probably until "Quality" moved in!).

And you can believe me on that as I've read a bunch of Dredd comics books.

MarsHottentot

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 March, 2011, 12:40:37 AM
Not going to pick all his wrongness in that clip to pieces, but Eagle comics Judge Dredd issue 1 was the biggest selling indie comic in the US (at least until that point - may have been changed since). So yes, I'm not trying to say Dredd is "big" in the US, as thats ridiculous, but the Eagle comics were incredibly popular for a short time (probably until "Quality" moved in!).

And you can believe me on that as I've read a bunch of Dredd comics books.

That's how I found out about JD and 2000AD.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

TordelBack

Be honest folks, that's what I sound like when I'm defending Phantom Menace, isn't it?  I don't pick and scratch at my head and face incessantly while I do it, but basically I'm that guy. 

exilewood

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 March, 2011, 08:09:04 AM
Be honest folks, that's what I sound like when I'm defending Phantom Menace, isn't it?  I don't pick and scratch at my head and face incessantly while I do it, but basically I'm that guy. 

Yes, I think Mr Hat-on-backwards-Stallone-fan had more than just Weetabix for his breakfast!

Emp

Does that guy have notes stuck everywhere with what he's going to say? Its like he's desperatley looking around for his next thought.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 March, 2011, 12:40:37 AMAnd you can believe me on that as I've read a bunch of Dredd comics books.

Yeah I'll back that up, you can believe this guy because he's read a bunch of Dredd comic books, and you can believe me when I say you can believe this guy because he's read a bunch of Dredd comic books, because I've read a bunch of Dredd comic books too, and when you've read a bunch of Dredd comic books you can really tell when another guy's really read a bunch of Dredd comic books too, y'know, which I can tell you from experience because believe me, I've read a bunch of Dredd comic books.

JOE SOAP

Too bad Mark Millar wrote the bunch he got.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 March, 2011, 11:31:55 PMToo bad Mark Millar wrote the bunch he got.

To be fair, Mark Millar's Dredd can't be all that bad after all 'cos he's read a bunch of Dredd comic books. (etc.)

dweezil2

He could of done his research a bit better too. Surely if he'd checked IMDB he would of at least got the year of the film's release correct.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo