Main Menu

Prog 2212 - Elecrtifying 100 page Xmas Issue!

Started by Dandontdare, 15 December, 2020, 08:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 18 December, 2020, 12:20:09 AM
They're probably over-compensating for having moved away.

Thing is, she's the only one that was born in the East End.  The rest are all too young!

Dandontdare

There are quite a lot of "Manchester Irish" who have never set foot on the auld sod in their lives, and haven't since their grandparents' time, but still affect a cod Irish accent. Always makes me laugh, like the British Asians who talk like they've been brought up in the Trenchtown ghetto.

JayzusB.Christ

Then there are the types like our Eamonn Clarke, who (name aside) you'd never think was of Irish stock until he says the word / prefix 'any' - over this way it's pronounced 'annie'.  My mam being English, there are tapes of me talking when I was about 4 with a bit of a Lancashire accent.  Nobody at playschool noticed though. I don't think there's annie trace of Englishness left in my accent now - listen to me on the aforementioned Eamonn's podcast and judge for yourselves.

When I was a young lad, I was in Aberystwyth University for a year, and was very, very shy - I hated that I had an accent that stood out, as I didn't want to stand out at all.  Later trips to Britain revealed that my Oirish accent was one of my greatest assets.  Never mind all the things about myself that I worked hard on to improve; it's an accident of birth that people liked best.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 December, 2020, 12:29:45 PM
There are quite a lot of "Manchester Irish" who have never set foot on the auld sod in their lives, and haven't since their grandparents' time, but still affect a cod Irish accent. Always makes me laugh, like the British Asians who talk like they've been brought up in the Trenchtown ghetto.

First time I was in New York, a friend and I stopped off in a bar* where the barmaid had an accent that could only be described as Irish once you realised that not only had she never been to Ireland, but that she'd never even been in the same room as someone who was actually Irish. It was hilarious.

*Unbelievable, I know...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 December, 2020, 12:57:29 PM

First time I was in New York, a friend and I stopped off in a bar* where the barmaid had an accent that could only be described as Irish once you realised that not only had she never been to Ireland, but that she'd never even been in the same room as someone who was actually Irish. It was hilarious.

*Unbelievable, I know...

Bloody hell; I hadn't even realised fake Irish accents were a thing.  Reminds me of Crazy Steve in All-Star-Batman-and-Robin (spit) pinpointing Black Canary's home county as Monaghan.  I have a very good mate from Monaghan, and I couldn't distinguish a Monaghan accent from the surrounding counties.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

Accents are always "funny" things, like I am an outsider and if someone does not speak English in almost neutral tone I struggle to follow. When I started reading the prog I never liked Middenface, not that he is a not a cool or great character, just because trying to follow his dialogue was quite a "nightmare" for me.  I never liked it when the writers try to use authentic accents in their script.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

A friend of mine was on tour with a band in the US and a waitress remarked on his English accent and asked without a hint of irony if he was from Narnia.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

the level of geographical ignorance in America is staggering - when I was there I had to explain many times that Scotland and Wales were attached to England, but Ireland was not, and that none of them were attached to Europe; also that England has other cities than London* and that East Berlin is NOT in Russia - and these were college students!

*I was asked what part of London I came from. I replied I came from the North, and the guy told me he'd flown into Heathrow once and seen all these fields - he genuinely thought England consisted of nothing but foggy London and quaint country villages.

dweezil2

Sounds like an old acquaintance of mine "Irish Dave" who was born in Kent, lived in Dublin for approximately a year and came back with an accent that could be best as Brad Pitt from Snatch!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Andy B

That episode of Slaine was wonderful: made me feel like I was 14 again. I've been getting a bit bored with the Prog lately: turns out all I needed was a [spoiler] big fight with a guy getting his face sliced off![/spoiler].

If it keeps up like this, it'll be some of the greatest Slaine art ever: a ridiculously high bar!

norton canes

Started reading it. Only got as far as the end of Survival Geeks. I think you can guess why.

Dandontdare

norton canes

Seeing as I've reached a natural break, I might as well do this in bite-size chunks...

Cover: Awesome sauce, Cliff Robinson's intricate linework perfectly complimented by Dylan Teague's vibrant colours. Love the new logo too, hope it sticks around for a few years.

Dredd: You'd have put money on Kenneth Niemand being the go-to droid for a heartwarming festive Dredd story and he doesn't disappoint, giving us action, humour and pathos; and more depth to a character who's becoming a benevolent version of PJ Maybe. And there's nothing 'maybe' about the quality of PJ Holden's artwork (see what I did?).

Strontium Dog: It's a 'Yes' from me. I mean, in a sense anyone taking on this reboot is on a hiding to nothing. There are so many elements that define the strip - the language, the settings, the gadgets, the backstory, and of course Carlos's iconic artwork - that you risk getting it wrong by including too much or too little of any of them. Rob Williams gets it about right in most departments, I think, in what's perhaps wisely a relatively slight story. Keeping it simple was definitely the right decision, even if it does mean the antagonists are short of a little of the bizarreness John Wagner invariably brought them. Mention of 'time DNA device' seemed a bit throwaway, unless it's going to be developed in possible future instalments. The time drogue sequence was nice and the twist worked for me. The Gronk was pretty superfluous though.

Not seen Laurence Campbell's art before but loved it here - touch of the Simon Coleby, I thought. The decision to style it on the early Starlord strips rather than Carlos's more distinctive SD work in 2000 AD paid off. In fact the only disappointment was turning the page to find the whole strip wasn't graced by Dylan Teague's colours.

Looking forward to more.

Survival Geeks: Yes, I blubbed at that last page. I'm a sucker for 'passage of time' stuff like that, it always sets me off. It helps, of course, that Rennie and Beeby created characters I could emotionally invest in throughout the whole of the strip's run. Although... were Clive and Rufus really such ****s?

Anyway. Tharg, please don't let this be the last we see of Neil Googe (ably abetted by Gary Caldwell) in the prog. That Hawkmen panel is glorious!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: norton canes on 19 December, 2020, 01:25:09 PM
In fact the only disappointment was turning the page to find the whole strip wasn't graced by Dylan Teague's colours.

Dylan did do the grey tones, though! It was Lawrence's idea to switch to grey wash after two pages of colour, as a callback to the old Starlord days, when a lot of strips used grey washes (thanks to being on better paper than 2000AD) but the opening spread would be in colour if it was on the centres.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes