Main Menu

Anyone fancy adding words to my Durham Red strip?

Started by mygrimmbrother, 18 November, 2009, 07:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Ditto all of the above. There are some particularly excellent frames in those pages.

And good to see the original version of Durham Red which I prefer.

Kev Levell

It don't need words Matt. Your storytelling has made them redundant - take that as a sign of your own mastery.

mygrimmbrother

I'm genuinely very flattered by your comments guys, but let's see what Locusts can come up with...

Emperor

The words are in, a nice job:

http://mygrimmbrother.blogspot.com/2009/11/durham-red-long-time-coming.html

As I say, it doesn't need them but it is an interesting experiment fitting the words to the pictures.

Now can we get Roger to do a foul-mouthed version?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mike Gloady

Good job Locusts. 

But as everyone's said, it does work beautifully in it's original form.  Hopefully Roger will get the phrase "big jubilies" in somehow.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

I'm sure the overall senimtent will remain that that the strip needed no words - and actually, I'm inclined to agree!

But I couldn't resist contributing to such beautiful imagery, and I'm sure that if I hadn't gotten to it first several of my fellow boarders would have loved to have a crack at it in my place.

The biggest problem I faced was avoiding redundancy, and I think I did a fair job of that. I realized right away that the strip had to be "silent" and that no dialogue was needed. This only further heaped on to the second biggest problem I face: being locked into what was already drawn. There was no flexibility. A tough task indeed. I sat and just stared at the art for some time before the line "spirits drift with the fog..." came to me. After that the rest fell into place and I finished the rough script in an hour or so...it was a great challenge, but loads of fun.

I hope you guys enjoy it even if you prefer the version without my words! And thanks to mygrimmbrother for giving me a chance to work with him - after months of viewing his lovely art!

Bolt-01

That is a lovely re-mix. I quite enjoyed that and agree that you didn't need any 'speech' at all.

I'll also link to the relevant post over on the Queaquam Blog too.

mygrimmbrother

Thanks to the Emperor for posting that link - I was gonna re-post the lettered version on here, but then something distracted me (probably a brightly coloured balloon).

Very much enjoyed this wee experiement, and am chuffed to bits with a) Locust's contribution, and b) everyone's repsonse/general lovely demeanour.

Cheers guys!

mygrimmbrother

BTW, is Roger really going to do a blue version? That I'd LOVE to see.

Mike Gloady

Roger tends to do blue versions of everything sooner or later - whether he's asked or not.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Kev Levell

Locusts has indeed done a great job and it does add an extra dimension to your story Matt... I'm just not sure if I don't prefer it silent movie style.

mygrimmbrother

Well that was the original concept - once I decided to do away with captions dialogue entirely, it immediately presented itself as an old scratchy silent movie - like Nosferatu maybe.

Actually, that's a really good idea. I'm working on a new vamp-themed idea which I want to submit to Something Wicked when it's ready, maybe I could go to town on this angle. Cheers Kev!

locustsofdeath!

The concept of "silent comics" is pretty neat. I love silent films.

Here's a couple wot I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YBEJeGmIiU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrVO0y9gFok&feature=related

I shot them on super-8 and ran them through an old movie projector to get them nice and scratched up!

mygrimmbrother

And thanks to Bolt for pimping it on the Quaequam Blog too  ;D

Richmond Clements

I've just had a chance to read the worded version- very good job guys!