Main Menu

How Do I Go About Finding An Artist?

Started by strontium_dog_90, 12 January, 2010, 09:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium_dog_90

Hi all!

I've had a prose script accepted for the new Starscape Online Magazine (see here http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27153.0.html) and I'm wanting to find someone to provide a few illustrations for it - about two or three pages worth, from what the editor has suggested to me. Only problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about finding an artist. Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks, guys!

Jim_Campbell

Leave some food outside your back door and stay up late with the lights out. After a few hours, hunger will probably drive one of these impoverished creatures to scavenge your leavings. At this point, throw a sack over them and hit them repeatedly with a plank.

Once subdued, they can be tied to a drawing board (although any kind of desk or table will suffice) and induced to draw with the offer of a saucer of milk.

You're welcome -- no need to thank me!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Shouldn't the editor sort this out for you?

M@

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 12 January, 2010, 09:26:09 AM
Shouldn't the editor sort this out for you?

What if he hasn't got a plank?

Cheers

Jim

W. R. Logan

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 12 January, 2010, 09:09:20 AM
Only problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about finding an artist. Can anyone give me any advice?

Look in any cardboard box under any railway bridge.

Bolt-01

Chris should really sort this- it is his mag after all. Mail him to get confirmation that not only does he want you to write, but to also find someone to draw.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 January, 2010, 11:49:37 AM
Have you tried cheese?

iPods, artists, it really is a miracle of the modern age, this cheese stuff!

Cheers

Jim

Trout

Carve an artist from cheese? It'll never work.

starscape

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 January, 2010, 11:26:15 AM
Chris should really sort this- it is his mag after all. Mail him to get confirmation that not only does he want you to write, but to also find someone to draw.
The likes of Image, Fantagraphics, Drawn & Quarterly, Top Shelf, Slave Labor, etc require full creator teams so nothing too new about this.

As it is, my advice is for the writer to get someone he is happy with.  After all it is his story, so his vision matters most.  I have already suggested sites where a writer can find an artist, plus I've stated that if the writer is having trouble, to contact me so I can find someone.

My Submissions page (not available to the public just yet) says :
spot illustrations are required.  Any of these may be acceptable:

* draw a few panels yourself, if you have an artistic hand
    * contact someone else and have them draw them
    * give me some ideas to submit to artists for them to draw.

For me, the poorest is me putting an artist with a writer, when the writer should be the one with the vision.  But as I've said, I'm prepared to do this on occasion, when the writer has trouble finding someone.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: starscape on 12 January, 2010, 12:29:29 PM
For me, the poorest is me putting an artist with a writer, when the writer should be the one with the vision.

That's fair enough -- it's your baby, after all. However, you should keep in mind that this is pretty much the opposite of the way things work normally: how is a writer supposed to know if an artist is going to be able to capture his 'vision'? He's a writer: his vision is right there in the words that he wrote, finding someone to translate those words into illustrations is usually pretty much the definition of the editor's job.

As I say, if that's not how you want to work it, fair play to you, but don't be surprised if more than a few people seem a little bemused at first.

Cheers!

Jim

Bolt-01

Well said Jim.

I know that if we accept a script and the writer says his mate is going to draw it, I insist on seeing strip pages before giving it the go ahead. I'm paying for the comic to be printed, so I damn well want to have final say on what the strip looks like. So far I've been lucky in that all the artists who have delivered have been of a high enough quality that I've used themagain later.

That's how I like it, and it works pretty well for me. Especially as I can pair artists with scripts they might not necessarliy choose themselves, get out of the comfort zone and all that...

However, I respect your working practice Chris, you've been doing this for a good while yourself now.

starscape

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 January, 2010, 02:27:13 PM
I know that if we accept a script and the writer says his mate is going to draw it, I insist on seeing strip pages before giving it the go ahead.
I have asked the writer (and others before him) to give me a link so I can judge the quality of the artist first.  It's not sight unseen.  But if the writer can get a quality artist I've never heard of that he's happy working with, what's the problem? (and as I've said, this is possibly more the norm now than the traditional way - see some of the companies above, plus go into many other companies submissions page and you'll see they want creator teams, not just a script).

For instance, for the Guard Dogs, I found an artist for Jason Quinn's strip at very short notice (after the first artist dropped out suddenly - remember this was a monthly then).  Jason liked him so much, he ended up offering him a job as a storyboard artist for TV.

However, with Dead, Gary Simpson had already worked with Lee O'Connor (who just had a story by Pat Mills recently published in Heavy Metal), so suggested him.

So, there you go.  Two terrific artists.  The first I set up.  The second I let the writer set up.  Why wouldn't I let the writer suggest new talent that I've either never heard of or have no way of contacting, before pinning him with someone else first?

Emperor

Quote from: strontium_dog_90 on 12 January, 2010, 09:09:20 AM
Hi all!

I've had a prose script accepted for the new Starscape Online Magazine (see here http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27153.0.html) and I'm wanting to find someone to provide a few illustrations for it - about two or three pages worth, from what the editor has suggested to me. Only problem is, I'm not really sure how to go about finding an artist. Can anyone give me any advice?

Wellllllll:

• I set up a small press, small ads thread for just this kind of thing, although it has yet to be used
  • You could have a look through the various art threads around the forum and have a chat with anyone who might be a good bet
  • You could nose around DeviantArt - but that is all also explained in the link I give above (along with other places to look)
  • Have a nose through some small press titles - the talent there is pretty impressive and there are usually people around who know the artists involved
  • Or you could start a new thread here to catch the attention of passing artists - they are like magpies so leave out shiny things like silver foil
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

locustsofdeath!

Luckily most of the writers on this forum have developed relationships with the brilliant artists lurking about. Chris accepted a story of mine, and finding an artist didn't seem a difficult prospect as I had been collaborating with a couple o' fellows!