Main Menu

Prog 1865: Greetings From the Grey Area

Started by JamesC, 18 January, 2014, 09:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Cover - as the title suggests we have a nice Grey Area cover this week from Patrick Goddard and Chris Blythe. I'm not sure it has a massive amount of stand-out-ability (possibly because of the subtle colours) bit it's a nice image and sums 2000ad up quite well.

Dredd- excellent installment this week with a surprise reveal at the end. I thought the art made it a little difficult to see what was happening with the air lock scene.

Sweet- I didn't read this. It's not really my thing.

Grey Area- continues to impress and I thought it was a really funny episode this week. Love it.

ABC Warriors- much the same as last week with some lovely art. It's always fun but the script isn't going to win any awards!

Stront- Johnny scopes out the baddies' camp. It feels like we've had this exact episode a hundred times in past Strontium Dog stories but it was still engaging and it was good to see the ultra-cold Johnny dispense a little justice at the end.

There's a letters page too this week, featuring a nice picture of a cake.

Colin YNWA

Well damnit - this weeks Prog in BUT last weeks still not here. I think I'll try to pick one up at the shops later today...

Steve Green

Titan

[spoiler]Didn't Nixon lose her other original arm in the last Low Life arc?[/spoiler]

Darren Stephens

I must admit, I too had too re-read that sequence on Dredd. Also, this weeks cover is AMAZING.  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Minkyboy

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 January, 2014, 12:47:10 PM
Titan

[spoiler]Didn't Nixon lose her other original arm in the last Low Life arc?[/spoiler]

I thought so.
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Kudos

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 January, 2014, 12:47:10 PM
Titan

Yeah, I thought exactly the same.

A.Cow

Cover - have to agree 100% with JamesC -- this sums up 2000 AD well but has very little visual appeal on a shelf.  Apologies for my sloppy amateurish graphic design, but surely something like this might have worked better as a cover...

Judge Dredd - Titan (part four) - Moving along nicely.  Had already started to suspect that [spoiler]Dredd had been lured to Titan as part of some revenge plot[/spoiler], which explained why [spoiler]McIntosh was so keen to save his life[/spoiler].  Will be terribly disappointed if this rushes into an anticlimax.

Ulysses Sweet, Maniac for Hire - Centred (part five) - scanned it and lost the will to live.  I still see absolutely no reason why they needed to resurrect a classic one-joke character, rather than creating a brand new one (especially given the fact that they've changed his face and given him a needless M.A.C.H. 1 voice-in-his-head).

Grey Area - Short Straw - good stuff but shades of Danger Mouse, with whole scenes in the dark to reduce animation costs.

A.B.C. Warriors - Return to Mars (part five) - I'm not much of a Clint Langley fan, but I do think his photo style works extremely well for ABC Warriors.  Hence I'm bemused why he's drawing this by hand.  Even worse, the whole strip this week looks like rough pencil concepts; I'm shocked that such a skilled artist could produce such shoddy layout.  Not doing anything for me, I'm afraid.

Strontium Dog - The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha, Chapter Four: Dogs of War - Part Five - 'tis OK, but I'm certain this whole "Life and Death" saga will read much better compiled into a single TPB.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover - Nice clean lines, eye catching stuff.

Dredd- Starting to see where this may be heading, and I don't thinks it's the obvious destination.  Or at least I hope it isn't! Have to agree that the art in the airlock scene was a tad unclear, but a second reading sorted it in my head.

Sweet- Thought it started as an amusing wee romp, but it's just getting duller by the week.  Plus, the art ain't suiting it to my mind.

Grey Area- Yep, still pushing the right buttons.

ABC Warriors- Scratchy looking hand drawn gubbins it may be, but still massively superior to the 'orrible photo strip shite he does, well, for me anyway! ;)

Stront- Just doesn't really read as Strontium Dog, not sure why, but it just ain't gripping me.

Droid Life - best episode in a long time. :D
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

JUDGE BURNS

DREDD hits on all the right notes this week. Nice surprise at the end....I had forgotten all about that one.

ABC warriors and Strontium Dog  were okay this week.

The other 2 still not doing anything for me.

Oh and my letter is published  :D   with a Brit-Cit Judge to add to my wee collection.

Buttonman

Well done Judge Burns - your review is active - can you confirm if you are also the Wishaw James Burns too?

IronGraham

Just got my issue today and have only read Dredd I haven't read the missing low life between Mega-City Undercover and Trifecta. [spoiler]Why is Nixon on Titan[/spoiler]
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Batman's Superior Cousin

She has had dealings with corrupt uniformed Judges & Wally Squad in the Low Life, followed by dealings with the Hondo City Yakuza led by Masahisa Yamaguci, via being kidnapped!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Hawkmumbler

I KNEW I WAS AVOIDING THIS THREAD FOR A REASON!  >:(

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IronGraham on 20 January, 2014, 01:03:36 PM
Just got my issue today and have only read Dredd I haven't read the missing low life between Mega-City Undercover and Trifecta. [spoiler]Why is Nixon on Titan[/spoiler]

[spoiler]In quite a neat twist, she turned out to have been the Low Life's shadowy crime kingpin, 'The Big Man', all along.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

IronGraham

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 January, 2014, 04:18:58 PM
Quote from: IronGraham on 20 January, 2014, 01:03:36 PM
Just got my issue today and have only read Dredd I haven't read the missing low life between Mega-City Undercover and Trifecta.

OOOOOOOOOO wow one day will have Undercover vol 3 and i'll enjoy that
We're werewolves not swearwolves