Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

I enjoyed it more than last weeks. Which everyone else seemed to drool over.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

shaolin_monkey

I loved it! Self contained, made sense, and just thoroughly entertaining.

The Legendary Shark

Yep, I'm pretty content with the series so far - no complaints.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steve Green

They got their money's worth out of that corridor...

Modern Panther

As much as I'm enjoying Capaldi as an angry, disinterested Doctor, I've been really disappointed by the quality of the writing so far.  Nonsensical/paradoxical spoilers...

[spoiler]taking your time machine specifically to the only point in time during which you will be able to open the vault door, rather than just flying your time machine to the inside of the vault during any other point in it's existence.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Having to get inside the vault in the first place, rather than just, say, sending an email.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Traveling in time to give someone your phone number, so they can call you in the future and get you to travel in time to give them your phone number.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The most secure bank in the universe, which can be broken into using technology available on the open market[/spoiler]

[spoiler]An unbreakable vault with massive security, but within it in a private vault which has practically no security.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]shooting the first half as if it was an episode of The Hustle.  I hate The Hustle.[/spoiler]

JamesC

I thought it was pretty entertaining but the cyborg, the mutant and Clara are all really dull in comparison to Capaldi's Doctor.

Frank

Quote from: King Pops on 19 September, 2014, 10:26:33 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 19 September, 2014, 06:45:58 PM
it's official that Nick Frost is in the christmas special

We'll have to wait and see if Miranda Hart's in it too

Most BBC shows broadcast over the Christmas holiday feature Miranda Hart. Any new BBC show stands a 95% chance of involving Miranda Hart in some capacity - she's like a pony club/Aga saga/holiday cottage in the Cotswolds version of Agent Smith.

Tiplodocus

The Clan Tips enjoyed that and then looked at the gorgeous stars down in Galloway.

Nice script, nice paradox and good Capaldi doctoring.

Tempunaut, I still think you ar[spoiler]e imagining the episode was a bank heist. He needed to be there at that exact moment to make her feel regret and then to release the[/spoiler] beasties.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Modern Panther

i get the purpose, i just don't get why [spoiler]that particular moment.  Why not stop the big bad before she imprison and murders people.  Also, there didn't seem to be much convincing going on- everyone was concerned about the clones she was murdering, but she seemed nonplussed by the whole visit.[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

I thoroughly enjoyed that, I'm a sucker a good heist story.

I find that I enjoy Dr Who much more if I don't ask pesky plot-related questions such as [spoiler]why the most secure bank in the universe had every room connected by handy man-sized ventilation grilles[/spoiler].

I guessed two twists early on, but was wrong on both (I think) - [spoiler]I guessed that The Teller would turn out to be the architect and inside man - I'm not sure if everything was set in motion by  the nasty lady in the future, or did the Teller instigate the heist and leave all the clues? I also thought that memory-wipe boy would turn out to be the nasty lady's son.[/spoiler]

Niggles aside, a really good episode with lots of funny quips and at least one image [spoiler]- the guy with his head flattened -[/spoiler] that will have seared itself onto the eyeballs of the kiddies to give them endless nightmares!

IndigoPrime

I liked one response to the question of why The Doctor 'allows' these things to get so convoluted: he likes adventure. He doesn't want to be bored.

The Legendary Shark

All those poor bank customers won't be bored any more - I assume the flare got them while the Doctor was running around after the Teller. Seemed a bit cold to me, unless I've misunderstood (which is a fairly common event).
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

I'm not sure this Doctor gives much of a shit. He has his 'missions', but has already shown that he's not too fussed when people are killed off.

The Legendary Shark

I suppose so. People die all the time and at all times, so he can't save them all. Still, time was the Doctor would have at least tried to throw up a planetary reversed polarity neutron brolly to save as many as possible. I dunno', it's like the Doctor doesn't think big any more - he just thinks.
And I am aware of the irony of me grumbling about the inhabitants of a bank being sizzled.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 September, 2014, 06:41:14 PMtime was the Doctor would have at least tried to throw up a planetary reversed polarity neutron brolly to save as many as possible
Depends on which incarnation of the Doctor, surely? Some of them would have gone all-out to save everyone, all of the time. Capaldoctor doesn't seem to care that much.