Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 October, 2014, 11:34:50 AM
....but we all know energy has to come from somewhere right?

Muggle. 

The Legendary Shark

Well now, I wasn't looking forward to this one but ended up enjoying it very much. Best one yet, for me, pitch-perfect. My only criticism is that Clara's imprisonment for half the episode was too static - she needed some peril of her own to highlight what she was struggling with. To mirror her inner struggle, I'd have found a reason to have her trying to get to the engine; away from the Doctor. Apart from that little missed trick, loved it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Great one that, best of the season so far.  Liked the nod to the Bechdel Test, but most of all the Tom Baker cameo(s).

Jim_Campbell

Capaldi is actually magnificent. I can't objectively say whether the scripts are better than last series, but this strange, ambiguous, unpredictable alien that now sits at the series' heart is just electrifying.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Greg M.

Yes, definitely the best episode of the Capaldi era to date. The characterisation of the Doctor was superb, and the story was focused and engaging. I think this might have been Capaldi's best performance too. Both he and Coleman (the latter looking particularly stunning in her 1920s garb) are compelling and charismatic enough to give even mediocre stories a lift, so when the pair get a cracking script like this one, the results are excellent. Next week's looks really promising too.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 October, 2014, 09:37:19 PM
Great one that, best of the season so far.  Liked the nod to the Bechdel Test, but most of all the Tom Baker cameo(s).

Yeah, weird that! Was Capaldi just doing a really good impression, or was it dubbed with Baker? It was great !

Goaty

Sorry I miss out when he does Tom Baker? (Not easy being Deaf!)

CrazyFoxMachine

No deafness issue - I feel like you Goaty, whaddya talking about guys?!

I think 'Gus' was John Sessions. Nice episode again - !

Steve Green

When he's talking to himself, he's asking himself a question - the line 'A mummy that only the victims can see' (or something like this) and it sounds very much like Tom Baker.

There's also the cigarette case with jelly babies in it.

Steve Green

I really enjoyed that one BTW.

Goaty

Ahh! thanks!

Also I like when Capaldi did "Are you my mummy?" nice ref!

Mabs

Well that was a bloody good episode that! Probably the best one yet. And it took a while, but I've finally taken to Capaldi (so has my boy!).  :D
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

auxlen

QuoteCapaldi is actually magnificent. I can't objectively say whether the scripts are better than last series, but this strange, ambiguous, unpredictable alien that now sits at the series' heart is just electrifying.

a thousand times this. i am glued to the screen wondering what he will do/say next (and all without the worry that he will kiss girls or turn into Timmy mallett, bliss)

Mabs

I remember someone mentioning on Twitter that he thinks Capaldi will be a one series Doctor like Christopher Eccleston. But on this evidence, I sure as hell hope he sticks around for a couple of seasons. He's doing a great job in my opinion, and Coleman too.

This series has been more darker in tone than the previous ones, and all the better for it.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

IndigoPrime

Mm. I was wondering about Capaldi's longevity in the role, but on the basis of what we've seen, he needs to stay for a while. This is without doubt my favourite run of new-Who, and both he and Coleman have been excellent. I've also noticed a general upswing in scripts and direction, too. It's like cobwebs have been blown away, and everyone's taking full advantage of a kind of fresh start.