Main Menu

The Mandalorian

Started by judgeurko, 13 November, 2019, 04:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

I think Disney are probably not going to keep [spoiler]Grogu[/spoiler] out for too long.

In generally I don't like the small galaxy syndrome but in the year 9ABY there aren't that many other Jedi available to turn up.

JayzusB.Christ

I suppose he still has [spoiler]another 850 years in him. [/spoiler] I must admit I had a tear in my eye at the end too.

Haven't heard of the small galaxy syndrome before but it kind of makes sense - that said, there can't be TOO many inhabitable planets in the former empire, and when you have FTL they're all just a jump away.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

rogue69

there's a extra scene after the credits with the final episode

shaolin_monkey

karlos

[spoiler]The goodbye scene with Mando and Grogu was very touching. 

And maybe another little inversion - "let me look at you with my own eyes"?[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Given the time period, from the moment the Child was revealed the shadow of [spoiler]Luke[/spoiler] hung over the entire series. He had to show up at some point, it was only a question of when: credulity was already being stretched that people who actually knew[spoiler] Luke as a Jedi and Leia as a big-shot Rebel, and had at least seen Yoda himself, (Boba, for one) weren't saying "just phone up the New Republic and ask for Skywalker".[/spoiler]

Personally I'd have liked to see [spoiler]a slightly older Luke and some new gear (the OT transition from white:grey:black costume shouldn't really have remained static), and I'd like to have seen his involvement be more peripheral rather than as a Jedi ex machina climax to someone else's story. 

I'd also like to have seen R2 and Grogu tussle over his ball. But it was definitely thrilling, emotional stuff, and if we get to see Baby Ben and Grogu playing force-catch next season, it'll all have been worth it
[/spoiler]

What I find unamazing [spoiler]is the "this is how Luke should have been in the sequels" reaction - as if an unstoppable, unflappable, all-powerful hero would have been of any interest for more than the 10 minutes we got here. Far more interesting to me is whether it's his decision here to ignore the supposed dangers of attachment that leads this self-confident godling down the 25 year path to Ahch-To?
[/spoiler]

TordelBack

To throw something else out there, [spoiler]now that the Imps have Grogu's magic blood, what if the next part of the plot involves Rey's father? Assuming Rey is 19ish in TFA, the show is set about 5 or 6 years before her birth. So Sheev Jr is probably a teenager or young adult, and either a major disappointment or just about to become one. Was Pershing's lab involved in creating him? Do they want to infuse him with Midiwotsits? Or clone him and try again?  It seems likely that Snoke would already be in play, so not the current concern. Could crossing paths with Mando be what sets him on his peacenik course? [/spoiler]

He could pop up as a runaway, or a pompous Imperial princeling, and we'd be none the wiser.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 December, 2020, 11:08:40 AM
Haven't heard of the small galaxy syndrome before but it kind of makes sense - that said, there can't be TOO many inhabitable planets in the former empire, and when you have FTL they're all just a jump away.

So... the Star Wars galaxy has 3.2 million habitable systems.  I don't know how many of those are supposed to be in the Republic / Empire / etc, but thousands were said to have seceded from the Empire to join the Alliance following the Battle of Endor.  If you think about the Senate, every single one of those pods represents either a planet or a collection of planets.

Small galaxy syndrome is where you can travel many light years and end up bumping in to the people who have all the same acquaintances in common.  Or more likely they turn out to be your parent, sibling or grandparent.

Having said all that, I do think that, in this instance, [spoiler]Luke is the one Jedi around post-Endor who has expressed an interest in establishing a new Jedi Academy and so would want to pick up on Grogu's signal[/spoiler].  Though note that the only Star Wars novel I've read which wasn't an adaptation of the holy trilogy was Splinter of the Mind's Eye, though I am aware of some of the characters from the extended/legends/new canon.

TordelBack

Small Galaxy syndrome is infuriating, but partly a function of having paid for nostalgia-drenched IP so your shareholders are damn well going to want to see it used. 

In this specific instance I feel it's quite reasonably driven by the premise: placing a Mando and a Yoda at the centre of a series set between the OT and the ST means that you're inevitably going to draw in the Mandalorians, Empire and the Jedi, all groups that at that time are virtually extinct beyond the representatives we already know. If Din Djaren was a random Bounty Hunter looking after a random child, accusations would be very valid, but this entire series is set up to be fan service, and this fan at least has enjoyed being serviced.

JOE SOAP

Now they've gone so far as to pull young [spoiler]Luke Skywalker out of the bag for Mando, I may not be so surprised when General Solo turns up for a score settling confrontation in The Book of Baba Fett. They're shooting the final Indy film in the Spring so Ford will be around the Lucasfilm sphere.[/spoiler]

TordelBack

Was pondering this very alignment meself. If I was in charge of the de-ager [spoiler]I'd use it for some Deadbeat Dad action. Han is watching Grogu and Baby Ben whiie Luke & Leia are on a twinsies' birthday spabreak on Ord Mantell, but accidentally loses the kids to Hondo Ohnaka in a game of Corellian Wild Draw. Han must persuade old flame Q'ira to use her underworld contacts to help find the kids, without arousing Leia's jealous suspicions. Hilarious misadventures and "it's not my fault!" declarations ensue. [/spoiler]

I'd renew my subscription, lemme tell you.

Bolt-01

Tord, that actually sounds great. I'd watch that. Played with the light comedy/adventure touch so prevalent in the MCU it would be a hoot (as the padawans say)

[spoiler]Personally, I reckon Gordon is gone for just next season.  [/spoiler]

TordelBack

I'm afraid I've developed the premise.

So, Leia is enjoying her sand-baths and dianoga smoothies or what have you (let's say it was on Canto Bight, not Ord Mantell), and decides to holo-comm Han to see how he's getting on, expecting to see their senatorial quarters on Chandrila.
Instead, we see the cockpit of the Millennium Flacon with a harried-looking unshaven Han surrounded by smoke and a cacophony of alarms, with Chewie and 3PO tangled in armfuls of wiring and porgs flapping all over the place. 
"Han? What's going on? Where's Ben?".
"Hi honey, uh, had a slight diaper malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?".
Then we hear the unmistakable sound of laser blasts on the Falcon's shields and Qi-Ra's voice from off-holo: "Isn't anyone on this rust-bucket going to shoot back?".
"Han, who's  that with you? Where're Ben and Grogu? Should I come home?"
"Negative, negative, uh, big leak, very odourous...", and then nothing but blue static.

"I've got a bad feeling about this", sighs Leia, leaning back in her sand-bath. Why can't she trust that scruffy-looking nerf-herder with anything.

Then suddenly there's a loud BOOM!, and we see the roof of the spa collapse in.

Leia has somehow forgotten that it's not just her and Luke's birthday, it's also the 25th anniversary of the foundation of the Empire - and Imperial Remnant loyalists have staged a series of attacks across the galaxy to mark the date. 

As Leia struggles to extricate herself from the rubble, out of the dust we see a tall, handsome, well-groomed Jedi appear, silhouetted by light, and with wave of his hand the debris floats aside.  "Your highness, I'm Ezra Bridger, I'm here to rescue you".

(See it's also Ezra's birthday and he's spending it at the same spa - and adult Ezra is everything Han's not, competent, respectful, Force-sensitive...). Now we have parallel romantic-tension storylines!

Meanwhile Ezra and Grogu are systematically dismantling Hondo's pirate empire with their innocent hi-jinks, and we hear him wail "This venture is no longer profitable!

Pay me and Alan Dean Foster, Kathleen, and it's all yours.

TordelBack

(Aaargh, Ben and Grogu doing the dismantling, of course. We'll fix it in post.)

JayzusB.Christ

Jesus - you've been Scojo all along, haven't you?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"