Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Gosh was not expexcting that. Jim's is better and that's not false modesty that FACT - see I typed it in capitals so it is. And Shark split his vote with so many great pictures - though come on people that 'Don't piss here' was the winner there surely.

Well done to all and thanks to Jamie Smart for being so brilliant that I could just copy his work.

I will take brides if you have a topic for the next round that you want me to nominate... mind have three ideas already... I'll get them to you in the morning Jim when I've slept on it.

pictsy

Either I've gone crazy or Colin has posted in the wrong thread.

TordelBack

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 February, 2021, 01:20:49 PM
I will take brides ...

Hey, it's a damn good drawing but you're not Picasso!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 February, 2021, 01:20:49 PM
Gosh was not expexcting that. Jim's is better and that's not false modesty that FACT - see I typed it in capitals so it is. And Shark split his vote with so many great pictures - though come on people that 'Don't piss here' was the winner there surely.

Well done to all and thanks to Jamie Smart for being so brilliant that I could just copy his work.

I will take brides if you have a topic for the next round that you want me to nominate... mind have three ideas already... I'll get them to you in the morning Jim when I've slept on it.

Oh god I take my forum mistakes to a new level... look its been a crazy day at work and my brain is mushier than normal ... so SORRY!

CalHab

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2021, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 26 February, 2021, 10:47:00 AM
Ladyhawke (Starz on Disney+). I discovered that Disney+ now has an extra tab with quite a number of tv series and an eclectic selection of films. I guess this now justifies the subscription for adults once the rather good WandaVision finishes.

Don't forget that Falcon and the Winter Soldier starts two weeks after WandaVision wraps up. Loki starts (I think) four or five weeks after that finishes, but if you like Filoni's animated Star Wars stuff, The Bad Batch starts in the gap between F&TWS and Loki.

EDIT: Bad Batch trailer here, for anyone that missed it.

Good stuff.  I think Disney+ is now pretty good value.

Funt Solo

I have fond memories of Ladyhawke from the first go around, but don't doubt that a modern viewing would expose underlying weaknesses. But, really, almost any fantasy movie from that era had a lot going for it in terms of it just being a fantasy movie.

I was watching Air Wolf, Blue Thunder, Knight Rider, Manimal, The A-Team, The Dukes of Hazzard & Dallas endlessly on tele at the time, so it's not as if I was being picky about viewing habits - but fantasy movies were a relatively rare beast.

Dungeons & Dragons was probably the first fantasy movie where I threw my hands up at how utterly pants the entire endeavor was. I hadn't been so disappointed since the D&D cartoon made my cool underground game into a laughing stock at school.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 February, 2021, 02:00:57 PM
Oh god I take my forum mistakes to a new level... look its been a crazy day at work and my brain is mushier than normal ... so SORRY!

Congrats on the win, Colin ;)

Robin Low

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2021, 06:10:24 PM

Dungeons & Dragons was probably the first fantasy movie where I threw my hands up at how utterly pants the entire endeavor was. I hadn't been so disappointed since the D&D cartoon made my cool underground game into a laughing stock at school.

I remember the day I read the telly section of the newspaper (how quaintly old-fashioned) at breakfast and saw Dungeons and Dragons listed. No details, just the time. I spent the day at school excited and hoping the bus would get me home before it started.

Thirty-five or so years later, and I still remember the bitter disappointment.

Regards,

Robin

Recrewt

There's just so many movies that I thought were wonderful back in the 80s only to go back recently and realise they were tosh! Obviously, my tastes have changed too but some of them are just plain bad and young me was clearly blinded by the state of the art effects. 

Masters of the Universe is still a timeless classic though, right?  :lol:

TordelBack

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2021, 06:10:24 PMI hadn't been so disappointed since the D&D cartoon made my cool underground game into a laughing stock at school.

This ^^^ is giving me flashbacks.

pictsy

Artemis Fowl

Got half way through this and decided it had no hope of improving enough to make the next half tolerable.  This is a pretty bad film, but it is also very dull and boring.  And stupid.  And thinks I'm stupid as well.  It's also insufferably smug.  Also, if you want a drinking game that is sure to kill you, take a shot every time they say Aculos.  You'll be dead within 20 minutes.  Or just run out of spirits.  Hell, even if you don't play a drinking game you'll run out of spirit.  What a bunch of shite.

As for D&D cartoons.  I really liked that cartoon.  I still do.  It's very good.  A bunch of fans got together and made the last episode that was never finished (there was some audio and that was about it).  It's on YouTube.

The D&D film is a train wreck and not even entertainingly bad.  The sequel is interesting.  Much lower budget and still not very good.

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 26 February, 2021, 09:23:26 PM
Artemis Fowl
Got half way through this and decided it had no hope of improving enough to make the next half tolerable. 

You made the right call. The second half is worse. Personally I didn't think it was all terrible, Josh Gad's character is fun at least, but the rest of the production is a series of increasingly incomprehensible choices. (Chief amongst these is the decision to adapt a book by an Irish author, cast Irish actors as the leads, do some location shooting in Ireland, and then create an Ireland so unrecognisable that Captain Janeway would find it unconvincing).

Funt Solo

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 February, 2021, 09:37:57 PM
...create an Ireland so unrecognisable that Captain Janeway would find it unconvincing).

Quote from: Funt Solo on 25 February, 2021, 10:53:51 PM
What would a truly wild Ireland look like?

*Sorry*

Uhm ... how to get back on topic ... Captain America: Civil War is fairly dire. It's just not really convincing as to why they're fighting each other when it would be much easier not to.

Also: I know the violence is cartoon-y, but ... still! And: why are Iron Man and the Hulk suddenly fighting each other in downtown Johannesburg? I know the real answer: because someone thought it would be cool, so they shoe-horned it in, but plot-wise, it just gets dumped into the middle of the movie from space. And why does Bowman have an arrow perfectly suited for exactly what he wants to do in that moment? Why doesn't Black Widow actually sneak anywhere or do any spying?

I'm not the target audience. I mostly think superheroes are stupid, but some of these MCU things have been really cool, and this one just misses and is too much like the results of a corporate ... resist the urge to say wank-fest ... meeting.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 February, 2021, 09:37:57 PM
You made the right call. The second half is worse.

Eesh, that's an indictment.  But thanks, this is one life choice I won't regret.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2021, 09:50:15 PM
Captain America: Civil War is fairly dire. It's just not really convincing as to why they're fighting each other when it would be much easier not to.

I'm not the target audience. I mostly think superheroes are stupid, but some of these MCU things have been really cool, and this one just misses and is too much like the results of a corporate ... resist the urge to say wank-fest ... meeting.

I have similar sentiments.  Even more so for Infinity War and Endgame.  Two films I very much did not like.  Because they are trash.  I watched the subsequent Spider-Man film and felt the whole MCU thing had played out and I'm just not interested in any more of it. 

I'll probably still watch the Marvel stuff Sony does.  Looking forward to more Venom.  The film wasn't good, but Tom Hardy was very entertaining.

Recrewt

Quote from: Funt Solo on 26 February, 2021, 09:50:15 PM
Captain America: Civil War is fairly dire. It's just not really convincing as to why they're fighting each other when it would be much easier not to.

Also: I know the violence is cartoon-y, but ... still! And: why are Iron Man and the Hulk suddenly fighting each other in downtown Johannesburg?

Hulk isn't in Civil War at all.  That sounds like the fight from Age of Ultron although I do appreciate that they all seem to merge into one.