Main Menu

Big Finish Death trap. Breaking news!

Started by Thread Zero, 08 May, 2002, 05:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

For anyone interested...

I contacted Big Finish yesterday. They emailed me back today, confirming Death Trap was released yesterday. There was a slight delay. So it should arrive   through letter boxes in the next few days. I guess shops will have it in stock as well.

scojo

unclebacon

Did anyone else think that Dredd or Alive was a bit whack? Not trying to be negative, but i thought it was all a bit overdone - it'd be nice if the meg's lawkeepers could select their ammunition quietly for a change, maybe even say something like 'I'd better use a richochet shot' rather than yelling 'RICHOCHET!'. I was trying to get my girlfriend into JD by playing her the CD - we got as far as 'BIKE CANNON!!' before collapsing into laughter...
I dunno, maybe some things rely too much on images to work on the radio - I think Nikolai Dante's more the right type of material.

DavidXBrunt

Thanks for that Scojo. I've been checking my letter box for 'Death Trap' since 'Embrace the Darkness' the Doctor Who C.D. I bought at the same time arrived. And that was a fortnight ago.

davidbishop

I understand what you're saying about Dredd on audio, but... If anything, using voice selection to change what bullet you're firing is even more applicable to audio than it is to comic strip. It's also a lot pithier to have a Judge yell one word then have them contemplating six or more to achieve the same effect.

Any flaws with the first Dredd audio are entirely due to my writing. It was my first try at writing for audio and it shows in places, despite the best efforts of the director and producer.

If you want to convert your girlfriend to the delights of JD, might I recommend a selection of graphic novels? America if you can find it. The Pit. My wife responds well to the photo realistic work of Arthur Ranson, so strips like Shamballa, The Jesus Syndrome and Satan are also a good point of entry.

davidbishop

plastikman

Just picking up on davids last comment... "satan" is fantastic - Arthur Ranson is a superb artist  -who can be enjoyed by both sexes (oo-er)!!

The one weakness in satan is the Book of Man section - really powerful list of horrific events in history that ends with "Apocalypse War killed 400 million mega city 1 citizens" - that feels so weak after all the entries before it.

Leigh S

I found that the best way to stop my wife thinking I'm backward for collecting comics was to show her a few short stories.  Chances are, she's not going to plough through a whole book, and while we can see America as a classic, I'm not sure it's a good intro to Dredd.  Show people a comic book nopwadays and many of them find it difficult to actually read sequentially- there's a definite art to it!

I'd suggest "Requiem for a Heavyweight" (which my wife found hilarious) and "The Hunters Club" (which showcases Wagners ability to write a clever thriller, without alienating her with too much sci-fi shenanigans).  I didn't exactly convert my wife, but she did appreciate why I was so enthusiastic about this little old British comic.