Main Menu

Books you recommend NOT to read

Started by LARF, 24 October, 2005, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megadeth

What's wrong with you man?

Catch 22 is one of the finest books ever written.

As for books I wouldn't reccommend... it's been so long since I read something awful that I can't think of anything.

Bad Andy

This was always going to happen, but Catch 22 is my favourite book ever. The narrative does jump around somewhat though, so it can be hard work.

However the sequel - Closing Time - is a waste of time.

I'll possible get flamed for this but The Lord of the Rings Trilogy? I got half way through the second book before just giving up. Strangely enough that's about as far as I got with the films too.

Satanist

Loads of people I know struggled with the 2nd LotR book. It really isnt much cop.

Clive Barker. Now theres a guy who should crawl back out his own arse.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Ms JB

I also just finished reading Codex and totally agree with you.. I'm always conned into buying books based on what the critics have to say about it on the cover - bit thick of of me really. :)

I thought The Gormenghast Trilogy was utter poop, though I'm sure many people disagree with me 'cause it's popular enough to have been made onto a tv series. It's fair to say I've had more pleasure from Andy McNab books.

Marbles

I really liked 'Snowcrash', lots its way a bit towardsthe end but it was full of invention & far better than the turgid 'Necronomicon' which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. His best was the one (I forget the title) about the 'Young Lady's Primer' or somesuch. After that he went up his own arse IMO.

Also avoid any Hemingway like the plague. Particularly 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' which I read during a misguided 'self-improvement' spurt during my mid-20's. Ah wasted youth. I should gave been getting wasted not reading some dull Yank misanthrope.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Tordelbach

"really liked 'Snowcrash', lots its way a bit towards the end but it was full of invention & far better than the turgid 'Necronomicon' which I wouldn't recommend to anyone."

Hilarious how we differ!  I loved "Cryptonomicon" and the superb follow-up "Quicksilver", both of which just tore along - the kind of books I wanted to take whole days off work just so I could keep reading.  However I spent the years after reading 'Snowcrash' bad-mouthing Stephenson as an over-hyped Gibson-ripoff.  Only that I found the monstrously huge 'Quicksilver' for a quid in a 2nd hand shop having been heartily recommended it by a reputable friend, I'd still have no time for the guy.

House of Usher

"Everything Is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer.

It's crap. I started it two years ago, and couldn't muster the effort to finish it. The family saga bits are done much better by Marquez, and the contemporary bits are tedious. There's twist halfway through that you can see coming a mile off.
STRIKE !!!

Floyd-the-k

Anything by Tim Winton. I've read two of his novels and they are turgid, over-written rubbish

One question Floyd - how did it take you two novels to find out someone was a rubbish writer?

A good question Conexus. It was a bit Emporer's Clothesish. I read one of Mr Winton's awful tomes back in the 80s. Then I returned to Aus after a long time away. Winton was still amazingly popular, in all the stores etc. I think he may have won a Booker prize or something. My sister recommended him. I thought "he's so popular, there must be something in it". So I gave another one a shot.

aieeeee.

Back on topic; don't, no matter how desperate you are for Dr Who related stuff, read 'The Adventuress of Henrietta St'. It's written entirely in the tone of a smart-arse introduction with lots of post-modern touches

"Many thought that the man known as 'the Doctor' was merely a myth, or possibly a graffito, rumoured to be inscribed on the inside of St Paul's Cathedral. This account is, however, disputed by other authorities"
  It's like that for the whole book.

Dan Kelly

Im having real problems with "Mr Norrell and Jonathan Strange" at the moment - saw some good reviews, but quite frankly it's pretty pants at the moment.

May become dropped, which is v.rare for me

philt

Good question. I read Voyage and was blown away by it. I thought the rest of his books would be of a similar standard. I was wrong but I hoped otherwise. I've learnt my lesson

In fact the only other thing that comes close to being good is "Traces" a collection of short stories.

Art

...Snow Crash... ...Brian Aldiss... ...Hemmingway... ...Steven Baxter...

Oh dear, this thread has just filled up with wrong-headedness hasn't it?

LARF

"Im having real problems with "Mr Norrell and Jonathan Strange" at the moment - saw some good reviews, but quite frankly it's pretty pants at the moment. "

I read that, had some trouble getting through it, but overall quite enjoyed it really - looking forward to the next one.

Quirkafleeg

The 'Young Lady's Primer Thing' is The Diamond Age... which is excellent. Although Neal Stephenson has a problem with endings and I've not tried is has vast more recent stuff (the rumours of page-long descriptions of eating cerial put me off)

Aldiss wrote some brilliant stuff... Hothouse is a work of genius. (and he did have a story the featured rampant bestiality published in Interzone - that's got to count for something)

Floyd-the-k

I too agree that Aldiss has his moments. Catch 22 is genius.

I would not recommend John LeCarre's 'The Honourable Schoolboy' which is the dullest spy story I have ever read.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++