Main Menu

MXB recommends - Doctor Who - Endgame.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 11 January, 2006, 11:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

The latest Panini reprint collection was due a month of two ago and I've only just found it but I recommend you look out for it.

It's a lot less well known than the previous three volumes but just as deserving of a read. It reprints the first arc for the 8th Doctor, culminating in his regeneration - one of the more bold moves the comic has made.

The art is mainly by Martin Geraghty and it's his first work so improves as it goes along but starts off well. The majority of the book is written by Alan Barnes and will perhaps open a few eyes as to how good a writer he is. Lovely stuff that builds upon itself to an epic conclusion.

The book also has an interesting commentary and sketch book at the back and a recap of the Doctors first encounter with the chief villains. Don't feel this is walking in half way through. It's perhaps akin to being familiar with Dredd but reading Apocalypse War and Block Mania but never having read any of the previous Sov Block stories. And the recap explains it all anyway.

Great fun stories, epic adventures, lesbian adventuresses, Monkey butlers, and the death of the McGann Doctor. What more could you want?

Oh, and whilst it's the same price as the previous volumes there's more pages. Result.

The Amstor Computer

I've been trying to get a copy of this for a while now, but with no luck. Once payday rolls around, I'll make special effort to track it down...

DavidXBrunt

Forbidden Planet had a couple and do post books out.

0161 839 4777

Something Fishy

i'm not very up on my Doctor Who'sis.. which one was number 8?

The Amstor Computer

Paul McGann - "I" from Withnail and I.

Floyd-the-k

by a curious coincidence, I'm working my way through the Dr Who novels right now.  "twilight of the Gods' is very good (2nd Dr story) and "the banquo legacy" is a good sfy, days of yore detective story

Trout

That would be Peter Marwood, then?

- Know-it-all fish

SamuelAWilkinson

Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Goosegash

Barnes did some cracking work on the DWM strip and Scott Gray's writing was just as good. I was very disappointed when they went back to having rotating authors and unconnected stories again, especially since the last few years of Gray/Geraghty strips were such good quality. That said, the new one with John Tomlinson writing seems very promising and has Sontarans in it.

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, the last year has been nice but inconsequential really in comparison with the very strong run that Barnes started and Grey continued with such aplomb. The latest story seems a cut above the recent standard though with a strong start. I still miss Geraghty's art though. It'd be nice to see him in the house of Tharg now that his time in D.W.M. seems to be over.

Tordelbach

Be interested to see how the 8th Doctor bites the dust - from the 9th Doctor's TV stuff, I sort of assumed it was at the conclusion of the Timelord/Dalek war.