Main Menu

Watchmen

Started by nofuture, 13 October, 2006, 08:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concrete Block 15

... and the clock faces steadily approaching midnight with the ever-descending blood that finishes each chapter were the back cover images in the original comics.
This represents the Doomsday Clock (maintained at the University of Chicago), a theoretical model depicting how close the world is to nuclear war at any given time. Obviously in 1985/86 when WATCHMEN was written, we weren't THAT many minutes away from the Big Bang at twelve o'clock...

johnnystress

Grae the puppetmaker

++++HEROES SPOILERS++++

++++DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU++++

Watchmen certainly seems to have influenced the writers of Heroes. They've nabbed Viedt's plan almost entirely!

paulvonscott

It sounds liek Zack Snyder really wants to make the best Watchman movie possible.  If it has to be made, I'd rather he tried (even if he fails) than many many others.

Buddy

They've nabbed Viedt's plan almost entirely!

Err.. not really. How do you compare the end of heroes to the end of Wathcmen?

Floyd-the-k

Reagan may have thought that, but Veidt is supposed to be a genius

JOE SOAP

I don't think Snyder can pull this off. 300 was hardly the deepest of stories.

paulvonscott

But was it faithful to the original?

Art

Kinda, sorta, apart from the lame subplot added to "flesh it out". Visually it looked pretty great, and very faithful to the comic, but the direction was all over the place and it had terrible pacing issues.  

paulvonscott

Well, I'd say it was a difficult book to adapt from the little I've seen of it.

I thought his Dawn of the Dead was pretty good.

Ignatzmonster

So did the comic. I liked Snyders Dawn of the Dead.

I've always thought it strange that people translate Miller's bare bones stories verbatim and choose to pare down and alter Moore's much better comics.

Watchmen should be a TV series. It needs that kind of time to have an impact. From Hell should have gone to the small screen (preferably directed by a zombie Denis Potter). I might not have been such a botched job if it had.

Buddy

I didn't mind the 'fleshing out' of 300.

Without it the film would have been about 20 mins long, the comic isn't really a deep read, you could easily fly through it with it's 2 or 3 panels per page (or something like that).

I wan t the Watchmen movie to be good, but I still don't think it's movie material. Not because of any 'it's best told as a comic' thing, I just don't think the general public will like it. It's not a high octaine, roller-coaster, blockbuster type of story, not many big action sequences to keep the audience entertained.

Time will tell.

JOE SOAP

That's the problem, it was vacuous, hard to know if that's what Snyder wanted, just good visuals and a dud story? I fear he will treat Watchmen superficially. A direct translation of comics doesn't work, it didn't really work for 300 either.

JOE SOAP

***Watchmen should be a TV series. It needs that kind of time to have an impact.***

Watchmen should be a comic, oh wait, it is. Yippee.

paulvonscott

It's probably idle speculation, but here is a list of names ciculating as actors.  I wouldn't take it too seriously or get too wound up by it.

Kate Winslet as Silk Spectre
Patrick Wilson as Night Owl
Jason Patric as Dr. Manhattan
Jude Law as Ozymandias
Thomas Jane as The Comedian
Jeremy Irons as Moloch
Virginia Madsen as Sally Jupiter
Jonah Hill as Seymour
Henry Gibson as Mr. Figure
William Fichtner as Detective Fine
Noah Emmerich as Captain Metropolis
Gretchen Mol as Janey Slater