I promise to raise fervent hell A. *SOB*

I do not know whut else to do.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ThryllSeekyr

I didn't know he was still alive.

What else can I say, but enjoyed his work.

I only wonder what his latest endeavor might have been.

Ignatzmonster

I'm glad I read Rendezvous with Rama this year. Now I can appreciate the size of literature's loss.

Tebby

ThryllSeekyr

It's funny how you only know the life of a person by the work they do.

ThryllSeekyr

Unless you otherwise actualley know that person personally.

TordelBack

What a pity - one of my favourites.  The Fountains of Paradise is one of the best SF novels of all time, and the effects.  

When we do get off this rock (and we will) we'll be doing it with his ideas in our heads.

Slippery PD

For me Hero isnt exactly the correct word, Id say inspiration was a better one.  He really made me believe we could live better through science.    

Im rather sad at his passing, given his age its not entirely surprising.  

Yer Slips

TordelBack

Awwgh, all thumbs this morning.  That last post should have read:

What a pity - one of my favourites. The Fountains of Paradise is one of the best SF novels of all time, and the original Rama is no slouch either.  A shared love of the brilliant short Summertime on Icarus is one of the reasons I first realised my good woman was so absolutely perfect for me.  

You only have to pick up a modern SF novel or short story to see his direct influence - from skyhooks to first contact situations, and the likely realities of space travel.  And that's not to even mention his effects in the real world.

When we do get off this rock (and we will) we'll be doing it with his ideas in our heads.

House of Usher

To sound a sceptical note, I am very doubtful as to the trajectory of scientific progress, or of progress of any sort. As an educator, I do believe progressive teaching methods will see off scientific innovation in our lifetime.

The more students are encouraged to learn by discovery rather than by example, the more they will fail to connect their insights with the body of extant knowledge. In short, they will start failing to see further by standing on the shoulders of giants. Unless some kind of action is taken soon, a return to basics in education, if you will, then our destiny is to keep reinventing the wheel.
STRIKE !!!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Just found out now and though I know only a limited amount of his work I find myself feeling upset at his passing. It is quite amazing how some peoples passing will affect you.
Another grate talent is lost.

McNulty

Sad news indeed about the death of a great science fiction author.

RIP

satchmo

A Fall of Moondust was one of the first science fiction books I ever read as kid, it's a fairly simple story but it's always stuck with me, because it presented a vision of an entirely plausible future that I might even see. The future I expected while growing up was one of moon-tourism and mundane space travel for everyone! If only we weren't such petty murderers and thieves, we could be exploring the solar system by now.  
And just the other day I was saying to Paul what a huge impact Mysterious World must have had on me as a kid. It was the first place I heard of Charles Fort, for a start. And I'm still drawing stupid pictures of the Loch Ness Monster nearly 30 years later :)
The man was an inspiration.

R.I.P.