Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Third Estate Ned

I've just finished Case Files 12 and enjoyed it very much. I wasn't sure what to expect, after having just read through Case files 4, 8 and 9 (the order I bought them in), which are considered pretty solid collections going on the recommendations threads on here. In fact, CF4 is probably the most enjoyable I've read so far for originality and variety of stories.

One reason I approached 12 with less enthusiasm was after reading a couple of Douglas Wolk's views on the results of the Grant and Wagner partnership dissolving. As he puts it: "The script seems a bit off, tonally." The examples he gives are a self-doubting Dredd, which seems to jar, and Dredd addressing Hershey in an offhand manner ("Get lost, huh? I want to sleep.") I should add, though, that those views aren't representative of the whole review that he gives on the link. Another reason was that I had read some reader's comment somewhere that it was the worst art he had seen yet in the Case Files.

Maybe it was the lowered expectations but I really enjoyed the whole collection. I enjoyed the art throughout. This is not a point of view based on the knowledge of what makes well-executed and competent comic art but simply on my enjoyment of reading it. At the risk of making a superficial comment, I think the advent of colour helps for me. I'm not saying colour art automatically improves the quality. What I mean is, when I first started reading 2000 AD it was already in colour and I had no prior experience of the B&W strips, so that's how my initial impressions of what the quintessential strip should be were formed. I find a colour MC1 more immersive.

As regards the examples of tone given above, I appreciated the variation. In the example of Dredd's respect for Chopper causing him to hesitate, the story emphasises that the Chief Judge forgives Dredd because he succumbed to humanity, which he regards as natural. Instead, upsetting Dredd, the intervention of his humane streak resulted in unprofessional and irrational judgment. I didn't find the tone was awry, I found the anomaly of the change was addressed in the story. The fact it is out of character makes it more engaging. I also saw Dredd's offhand manner simply a more informal exchange between two judges who know each other well who can permit themselves to drop their guard once in a while (especially from a hospital bed). I see where Wolk is coming from, and it is only a minor point of his to demonstrate Wagner and Grant had to find their feet before getting back on track, but I found that breaking from the template worked in this case.

What really surprised me was seeing Dredd smile twice in one collection and the only other time I remember him smiling is in this this picture.

Onto Case Files 7 and 10 next (I know this order might make no sense but it's out of budget necessities).

Dandontdare

I'd recommend CF:5 as your next purchase - Judge Death Lives, Block Mania/Apocalypse War and lots of one or two part mega-crime stories.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 July, 2014, 09:58:53 PM
ALWAYS READ THE BOOK FIRST!

It varies - sometimes it's better to read the book first, other times see the movie. I found Name of the Rose long, dull and confusing until I'd read the fantastic book - When I rewatched it, I thought it was amazing. Similarly, I'd advise watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest before reading the book - the book gives a whole new perspective on the events.

SmallBlueThing

Still working my way through Dark Horse's entire Conan output. Went back to the start, once I'd bought and read every one of the Brian Wood issues (CtB  #1-25), and have been buying and loving the initial Kurt Busiek run. Currently up to #29, so technically Busiek has just left and been briefly replaced by Mike Mignola. Sadly, I can't get ahold of #30 or #31 for love nor money (so if anyone here has them, and wants to sell for no more than a fiver each inc postage, I'd be very happy!). Otherwise I will be jumping ahead to #32 and the beginning of (after a brief return for Busiek) Tim Truman's run. After that will come 'The Cimmerian' and 'Road of Kings', not to mention the 'King' series of minis. Absolutely addictive, they are. And read alongside Dynamite's brilliant current run of 'Red Sonja' (the Gail Simone series), they make me happy to be a loincloth-wearing barbari-fan.

Novels-wise, I've just finished 'The Sands of Mars' and 'A Fall of Moondust' by Arthur C Clarke- both of which kicked me back into full-on "hard sci-fi" mode, and am about to start 'Against The Fall of Night', er, once night falls.

Oh, and I picked up 'Before Watchmen: Minutemen and Silk Spectre'- which was surprisingly not shit, and 'Comedian and Rorschach', which arrived today, so I've not given more than a cursory flick.

SBT

Apestrife

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 10 July, 2014, 02:09:40 PM
I've just finished Case Files 12 and enjoyed it very much. I wasn't sure what to expect, after having just read through Case files 4, 8 and 9 (the order I bought them in), which are considered pretty solid collections going on the recommendations threads on here. In fact, CF4 is probably the most enjoyable I've read so far for originality and variety of stories.

One reason I approached 12 with less enthusiasm was after reading a couple of Douglas Wolk's views on the results of the Grant and Wagner partnership dissolving. As he puts it: "The script seems a bit off, tonally." The examples he gives are a self-doubting Dredd, which seems to jar, and Dredd addressing Hershey in an offhand manner ("Get lost, huh? I want to sleep.") I should add, though, that those views aren't representative of the whole review that he gives on the link. Another reason was that I had read some reader's comment somewhere that it was the worst art he had seen yet in the Case Files.

Maybe it was the lowered expectations but I really enjoyed the whole collection. I enjoyed the art throughout. This is not a point of view based on the knowledge of what makes well-executed and competent comic art but simply on my enjoyment of reading it. At the risk of making a superficial comment, I think the advent of colour helps for me. I'm not saying colour art automatically improves the quality. What I mean is, when I first started reading 2000 AD it was already in colour and I had no prior experience of the B&W strips, so that's how my initial impressions of what the quintessential strip should be were formed. I find a colour MC1 more immersive.

As regards the examples of tone given above, I appreciated the variation. In the example of Dredd's respect for Chopper causing him to hesitate, the story emphasises that the Chief Judge forgives Dredd because he succumbed to humanity, which he regards as natural. Instead, upsetting Dredd, the intervention of his humane streak resulted in unprofessional and irrational judgment. I didn't find the tone was awry, I found the anomaly of the change was addressed in the story. The fact it is out of character makes it more engaging. I also saw Dredd's offhand manner simply a more informal exchange between two judges who know each other well who can permit themselves to drop their guard once in a while (especially from a hospital bed). I see where Wolk is coming from, and it is only a minor point of his to demonstrate Wagner and Grant had to find their feet before getting back on track, but I found that breaking from the template worked in this case.

What really surprised me was seeing Dredd smile twice in one collection and the only other time I remember him smiling is in this this picture.

Onto Case Files 7 and 10 next (I know this order might make no sense but it's out of budget necessities).

You got some great stories ahead of you. If you like Dredd devolping think you'll like CF14-16. Dredd got quite interesting in those.

Also in Brothers of the blood - Total War - America or the recent Origins - Tour of Duty - Day of Chaos.

If you like Chopper I'd recommend the book Chopper: Surfs up, and that you read "Soul on Fire" and "Song of the Surfer" in it. Pure brilliance. But I consider the rest of the book "else world" as in never happened  ;)

Grugz

which case files has captain skank in it?
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Greg M.

Quote from: tootyfruity on 12 July, 2014, 05:56:35 PM
which case files has captain skank in it?

'Pirates of the Black Atlantic', Case Files 4.

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Tjm86

Charles Stross' latest Laundry novel, The Rhesus Chart.  In the same vein (excuse the pun) as his other Laundry novels.  Enjoyable, fast paced, plenty of black humour.  I guess I've been working for the government for too long since what he tries to present as a mickey take is way too close to reality on the mindless bureaucracy side of things.

Radbacker

ripped through Robopocalypse over the weekend.  Couldn't put it down.
Just like World War Z but with robots.  NOt that that's bad as WWZ is a top book and if Im honest Im certainly more interested in Robots and Tech going mad than Zombi's.
Has already been optioned by Hollywood and Spielberg attached to it,  Saving Private Ryan by way of AI? shame its been put on the back burner while he dicks around doing a couple of more serious movies.

CU Radbacker

Bolt-01

I read Robopocalypse last year- and agree on all counts. It's a corker of a page turner.

ZenArcade

Finally got my hands on the Colonial Marines Technical Manual by Lee Brimmicombe-Wood great stuff. I seem to remember a map of the Aliens Universe called the ICC map persumably ofter the Interstellar Commerce Commission? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tiplodocus

A DAVID NICHOLLS double with STARTER FOR TEN and THE UNDERSTUDY. Neither is earth shattering but he does nonjure up some great lols and, at times, a good sense of time and place.

Plus THE LINCOLN LAWYER by Michael Connelly which is sort of like a police procedural but for Defense Lawyers. Actually really liked it and it has some great insights into the American legal system.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

Breakfast of Champions

Sublime stuff as usual. Always delivers an interesting perspective than I can't help but agree with, such as how many of the world's jobs are effectively paid suicide, as they are direct contributors to the planet's demise and the planet's demise means the individual's demise. "I'm not really paid to drive this truck, I'm paid to commit suicide."

Cat's Cradle probably next up.

pictsy

I have recently picked up my copies of the first Megazine issues.  Obvious highlight includes America but also thoroughly enjoying Al's Baby and Red Razors for the first time (not reading the Young Death story as I've had the TP a number of years and read it several times).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 31 July, 2014, 09:44:21 PM
Breakfast of Champions

Sublime stuff as usual. Always delivers an interesting perspective than I can't help but agree with, such as how many of the world's jobs are effectively paid suicide, as they are direct contributors to the planet's demise and the planet's demise means the individual's demise. "I'm not really paid to drive this truck, I'm paid to commit suicide."

Cat's Cradle probably next up.

Kurt Vonnegut is probably my favourite author. My favourite book of his is one of his less heralded numbers 'Deadeye Dick', if you've not read it I can recommend it highly. Mind that's fair to say about just about all his  work. The man was a stone cold genius and dealt with such heavy, dark themes with such a deft lightness of touch in his writing that reading even the bleakest tales was the most delightful thing.

A wonderfully complex man by the sounds I keep meaning to track down a biography or some such.