Main Menu

Buttonman the Movie - update

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 July, 2010, 09:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreacherCain

JOE SOAP

If Strontium Dog is announced for adaptation, that's four by Wagner.

Pat Mills needs a bit of filmic love about now.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 June, 2012, 12:40:20 AM
If Strontium Dog is announced for adaptation, that's four by Wagner.

Pat Mills needs a bit of filmic love about now.

Come on! Someone's got to pick up The ABC Warriors once those shit Transformer movies have died a death? Shirley?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Emperor

Yeah I'd be up for that if the script is strong.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Emperor

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 01 June, 2012, 12:55:23 AM
DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT EMPEROR

I do hope you weren't referring to merging the two threads.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

opaque

Nice. It's an easy enough one to make as a film compared to most of 2000ad's back stories.

mygrimmbrother

Tuly hope this one comes to fruition. Refn, Gosling (if cast), Wagner = great combo. Nice to think that Wagner's star is finally in the ascendant, movie-wise.

IndigoPrime

Button Man looks pretty screenplay-like but, it does have one major problem in terms of an adaptation, in that you [spoiler]can't hear the voice's, er, voice in the comic. So that aspect would have to be changed (perhaps using a voice scrambler).[/spoiler] Otherwise, it's good to go. But I'll bet any adaptation moves from the UK to the USA, thereby [spoiler]screwing up the sequel if they used the original stories[/spoiler].

As for Mills, a Sláine trilogy: Berserker, King, Horned God. ABC Warriors could work, too, but I think it'd make a better cartoon for kids than big-screen movie.

radiator

Yep, Gosling would make a great Harry Exton - wouldn't bother me in the slightest if they relocate the story to America. Would be cool - though not essential - to do it as a period piece though - stick to the early 1990s setting.

I'll repeat what I said in the Button Man movie thread - that I think Refn is a great choice - if he can keep his excesses reigned in.

A tense, taut thriller that sticks roughly to the plot of the comic - perhaps a blend of elements of BM 1&2 (a straight adap of book one wouldn't work for a modern cinema audience imo, would seem a bit contrived and predictable) - could be excellent. I have both liked and hated what I've seen of Refn's films - but they're all great-looking and great-sounding movies that's for sure.

QuoteNice to think that Wagner's star is finally in the ascendant, movie-wise.

I've long maintained that Wagner is a criminally underrated writer and his work will one day get the recognition and audience it deserves - hope that is coming to pass.

mygrimmbrother

I think Refn is a great choice for precisely that reason - he's so idiosyncratic that if given a free reign he could well come up with something special as opposed to playing it safe. It's a gamble though, I agree, but I'd rather the choice for director was an auteur like Refn than a pedestrian tried-and-tested one.

Now we just need to secure Duncan Jones for Strontium Dog  :)

Link Prime

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 01 June, 2012, 10:47:41 AM
I think Refn is a great choice for precisely that reason - he's so idiosyncratic that if given a free reign he could well come up with something special as opposed to playing it safe.

Amen (m.g.) brother

Goaty

JW just post this in his Facebook;

News on Button Man: Nicolas Winding Refn in talks with Dreamworks to direct. Haven't seen Drive yet - just got the DVD - but I'm told he's a very good choice.

CYCLOPZ

Judging by the quality and style of the Drive movie, he's the  perfect choice to direct Button Man.