Main Menu

The Comics = Nerd Factor

Started by Beeks, 27 September, 2010, 12:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: klute on 30 September, 2010, 04:47:27 PM
I had teh misfortune of taking someone to forbidden planet in the mid 90's about 5 minutes after getting in there and looking at what i was missing from my collections that month this "person" decided to laugh at the top of her voice before announcing that comics and people that read them were retarded.

Mums can be so cruel.

To be perfectly blunt, Klute, I'm surprised that 1) you didn't recognise plain rude behavior and brush it off as such, regardless of the target of scorn, and 2) that she wasn't offered a job in the store.

klute

QuoteMums can be so cruel.

To be perfectly blunt, Klute, I'm surprised that 1) you didn't recognise plain rude behavior and brush it off as such, regardless of the target of scorn, and 2) that she wasn't offered a job in the store.

I think in all honesty at the time i didnt know anyone else that read comics and thought that maybe at my age i was doing something wrong, and sure the sneering and elitism from the FP store clerks put a lot off people going back.

Two of the biggest things that allowed my interest in comics to develop again was meeting my wife and using the internet. I pop into FP or travelling man if im in the area but now much prefer to use the internet to buy my comics.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Stuzzle

To be honest, whilst I have found the downstairs staff in my local Forbidden Planet to be useful when asked questions, the actual customer service upstairs at the tills is nothing short of ridonculous. Even my colleagues at Matalan when I was 17 did a better job of being friendly and welcoming
I don't draw so good and I don't know the artists off by heart. I eat more than I probably should and don't yet know the stories from the start. I like films and can't speak Spanish, but DAMMIT I can Twitter

Colin Zeal

I've never had any problems with the staff in FP when I've gone in there. This is probably down to the fact that I never have to ask them anything though. I go in, choose the 2000AD trades I'm getting and head for the till.

TordelBack

Hmmm.  Feel the need to stand up for the staff of FP's Dublin and Belfast.  The marked-up prices of the tat I covet can sometimes be ridiculous, but the staff have always been pleasant, efficient and helpful.  They lack the flexibility and friendliness of the truly great local comic/game shops, but as a successful brand they're not half bad.

SmallBlueThing

Is wotzizname still the manager of the dublin one? To my shame i cant remember his name, but he looks (looked?) like tyler mane as sabretooth, and we were fairly good mates/ occasional drinking buddies ten years ago. He was a great manager- friendly, knowledgable, and a laugh.
SBT

Paul faplad Finch

Same goes for Newcastle.  Apart from one instance, which I think I related on here at the time, of hearing a staff member slagging off tradewaiters (in general, it wasn't aimed at me) with some rather fruity language my experience has been mainly pleasant. I've read some stuff that I wouldn't have known existed otherwise, based on recomendations from the staff in there.

Still prefer Traveling Man though.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 01 October, 2010, 10:14:25 PM
Is wotzizname still the manager of the dublin one? T

I believe he is, although I'm not the frequent flyer I once was.  His great strength as a comics-pusher is the apparent absence of a patronising bone in his body - i've seen him talk man-to man to squeakers holding their Mams' hands about re-ordering some awful variant-cover spandex drivel and not for one second look anything but serious and concerned while doing it.  That takes either great skill or genuine decency - either way is good.

klute

QuoteSame goes for Newcastle.  Apart from one instance, which I think I related on here at the time, of hearing a staff member slagging off tradewaiters (in general, it wasn't aimed at me) with some rather fruity language my experience has been mainly pleasant. I've read some stuff that I wouldn't have known existed otherwise, based on recomendations from the staff in there.

Still prefer Traveling Man though.

This is the FP i used to frequent maybe over the years some of the long term staff have calmed down a little but i would agree that travelling man down the road from FP is better.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.