Main Menu

The Complete Harlem Heroes reviewed over at my site

Started by Grant Goggans, 10 January, 2011, 08:29:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

A new review today over at the Bookshelf blog.  Come read about the ridiculous-but-lovable ultraviolent Harlem Heroes saga, and how nice a job Rebellion has done re-presenting it!

Colin YNWA

As ever fantastic review Grant but no mention of one of the great over the top comic book villains in Artie Grubber?

One thing I'd not notice before is the cover stating "Official 2050 Aeroball Almanac". Nice touch.  

Grant Goggans

Actually, the best thing about Artie was when the '90s revamp was running, Tharg promised a rematch with a classic foe from their namesakes' past.  From a rogues' gallery of one, I was guessing that... would be Artie, then.

Okay, that's probably not the best thing about him.  I did like the way that he talked to himself constantly.

Greg M.

Quote from: Grant's Review
I especially love the constant reuse of the idea that neither the Heroes nor the Hellcats have ever even seen film of the opponents of their next match

This is a great point and something I'd completely overlooked... Giant and Slim are invariably completely surprised by their rival teams! How often do we see them actually studying their opponents' tactics or coming up with pre-match plays designed to deal with said tactics? Too busy investigating shadowy conspiracies and buying robot replicas of their dead foes (!) apparently.

chris_askham

I had a great idea for an Artie Gruber solo strip, following on from Inferno. I think it was a good idea anyway. Maybe I should pitch it to the Zarjaz boys, if I ever iron it out a bit.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 January, 2011, 08:38:05 AMOne thing I'd not notice before is the cover stating "Official 2050 Aeroball Almanac". Nice touch.

Hmph! The year should've been 2077!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 10 January, 2011, 01:05:37 PM
I did like the way that he talked to himself constantly.

With William... Shatner's... meter...
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"