Main Menu

Pimping PARAGON #16 - Bulldog is back!

Started by Daveycandlish, 24 April, 2014, 07:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAMESCOR

Didn't have the script to hand, just my dodgy memory then!  :)

Daveycandlish

Quote from: JAMESCOR on 05 May, 2014, 08:27:12 AM
Great to see bulldog return seem to remember him appearing in the megazine a few times years ago and priest wood is a great fit for the strip.

Bulldog has had some great artists over the years; PJ Holden, Ade Bamforth, Garen Ewing and a host of others. I'm really chuffed to have Stephen Prestwood involved in this story.

All contributors comp copies and pre-orders should be with readers very soon. I'd love to know what you all think of this issue - I think it gets better every issue!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

The download version is now available and it's FREE for all you cheapskates!

http://www.lulu.com/shop/paragon-comic/paragon-16/ebook/product-21611163.html

Have a look and let me know what you think.
You love all the creators involved when they contribute to Zarjaz - now see what they do with their own creations!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Daveycandlish

Everyone who ordered should have theirs by now (unless your postie has sticky fingers). Hope you enjoyed it:)

Now it's straight onto producing the new issue of the horror anthology AAIIEEE!!!
It's all go innit?

The Legendary Shark

Got my copy yesterday after getting out of clink. Luckily, my letterbox is on the outside wall and hasn't been boarded up and so that was a brilliant coming out present. Will read it tonight in my tent!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Daveycandlish

For those who haven't got their copy yet - perhaps 20% off will tempt you?
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/PARAGONcomic

Dan Banks

Finally got around to reading my first issue of Paragon, the pdf version of #16, and thought it was great. Congratulations to all involved! Extra praise for those involved with Bulldog and Jikan which were my personal highlights.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Dan - as the writer of 'Jikan: Shimasu' (and 'Bludd & Xandi'), your kind words have made my morning :-D
There are two collected editions of Jikan available from Lulu and I believe Volume 3 is on the way whilst the final Volume 4 is all written and probably due out in the next year or two, all being well.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Daveycandlish

The Shark speaks the truth - El Chivo is hard at work on the finale to Book Three and it should hopefully be out soon.
Thanks for the kind words Dan - Jikan is my creation but Mark has written the bulk of the tale (and done a fantastic job - wait until you see Book Four - the scripts are amazing!) And I've always been a fan of Bulldog so I'm totally stoked to see the character within the pages of my anthology comic (it meant I finally got to draw him!). If you haven't read his earlier adventures, I urge you to download them from lulu.com - there really is some amazing tales (not to mention art) to be had.

Dan Banks

I shall be attacking the rest of the back catalogue in due course gents!

@Davey, just one suggestion regarding the pdf version, the incredible double page spread in Jikan ( :O ) was sadly split over two pages, which is fine in paper form I'm sure but lost some of its wow factor (at first) in digi form. Have you considered cbz versions and/or versions with combined horizontal pages to accommodate the spreads?

Daveycandlish

It's the first time it's ever crossed my mind so thanks for bringing it up - I'll bear it in mind. TBH the digi-version has always been an afterthought from me - like it says on my blog, comics are like boobs; look okay on screen but I'd rather have one in my hand!

I should say a huge thanks to Bolt who did the lettering on El Bigote and jiggled the first three pages to work onscreen - the first three pages was drawn as a TRIPLE page spread by Chi which looks fantastic but caused some head scratching on how to print up! :-D

Dan Banks

I completely agree with yourself and Mr Lieber but it is a very useful tool for getting people interested in the real deal!

And paragon is certainly not alone in this problem, 2000ad has the same problem nearly every week :p

Greg M.

Looking over it again, it's clear that #16 is an awfully good issue - one of the best to date. (I'm only in it for two pages, so I can say that without sounding like I'm blowing my own trumpet.) All the proper-length scripts are solid – Bulldog is probably my personal highlight of the issue too, 'cos it just oozes quality, but there's genuinely not a weak link to be found in terms of art or story throughout the whole comic. This is PARAGON firing on all cylinders and showing real consistency. Great line-up.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 26 May, 2014, 11:57:22 AM

I should say a huge thanks to Bolt who did the lettering on El Bigote and jiggled the first three pages to work onscreen - the first three pages was drawn as a TRIPLE page spread by Chi which looks fantastic but caused some head scratching on how to print up! :-D

Yeah, Bolt really put in extra work on that one, and it is a shame that the digital copy breaks it up the way it does - be interested to see what you come up with as far as formatting double-page spreads, Davey, as there's one every issue of El Bigote (I still think print first, as a writer, and I think Chi does too, as an artist).

Agreed with Greg in the previous post. The issue is really good, and what is really cool is that the art just flows really well from story to story.

Daveycandlish

There really are some brilliant artists involved in this issue - I think the whole team (writers,artists and letterers) are on top form this time round.

And let's not forget Jim's lovely colouring work on the cover!