Main Menu

Fantastic Four - Big Town

Started by Bad City Blue, 30 July, 2014, 02:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

There was a facebook discussion recently, on why doesn't Reed Richards use his big brain to end World hunger and the like?

Someone mentioned that a similar theme had been explored in the Big Town mini series, so I tracked it down and ordered a set.

Seriously, it's one of the worst written comics I have EVER read in the modern era (published in 2000/2001 I think). Whilst The Ultimates were flying high, and Brian Bendis reinvented Spider-man, Steve Englehart delivered this piece of shit that is illogical, confusing, stereotypical nonsense.

Anyone else read it? or want to buy it?
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dandontdare

I've not read Big Town, but as a huge FF fan I can answer that question - It's because when he does try to solve the world's problems he usually ends up making things worse and becoming a Doom-like villain.

Reed and Tony Stark founded the Illuminati (inc Namor, Doc Strange and Black Bolt) as a secret council to solve the big problems of the world. He and Stark listed 100 things to solve - for example Problem 42 was where to put all the non-registered heroes and villains after the Civil War and the solution was a prison in the Negative Zone (and didn't THAT work out well!)

In the Hickman run on Fantastic Four and also FF, Reed tackles Problem 101: "Solve Everything". This leads him to a council of Reeds from alternative universes who use things like cosmic cubes and infinity gauntlets to reshape the universe. Naturally they all turn out to be psycho bastards who kick off a war with the Inhumans, The Kree, Galactus and the Celestials, before being defeated by an unlikely team up between Reed's dad, his infant daughter and Dr Doom. The reason "our" Reed isn't a psycho bastard and eventually sees the folly of his ambition is that he's the only one whose dad stuck around because .. well that's complicated and not very relevant.

In the Ultimate universe they took this much further with Reed murdering his entire family and becoming a full-on super-villain.

Frank

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 30 July, 2014, 02:42:33 PM
this piece of shit is illogical, confusing, stereotypical nonsense. Anyone ... want to buy it?

That's one hellacious sales pitch, buddy.

JamesC

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 July, 2014, 04:22:17 PM
I've not read Big Town, but as a huge FF fan I can answer that question - It's because when he does try to solve the world's problems he usually ends up making things worse and becoming a Doom-like villain.

Reed and Tony Stark founded the Illuminati (inc Namor, Doc Strange and Black Bolt) as a secret council to solve the big problems of the world. He and Stark listed 100 things to solve - for example Problem 42 was where to put all the non-registered heroes and villains after the Civil War and the solution was a prison in the Negative Zone (and didn't THAT work out well!)

In the Hickman run on Fantastic Four and also FF, Reed tackles Problem 101: "Solve Everything". This leads him to a council of Reeds from alternative universes who use things like cosmic cubes and infinity gauntlets to reshape the universe. Naturally they all turn out to be psycho bastards who kick off a war with the Inhumans, The Kree, Galactus and the Celestials, before being defeated by an unlikely team up between Reed's dad, his infant daughter and Dr Doom. The reason "our" Reed isn't a psycho bastard and eventually sees the folly of his ambition is that he's the only one whose dad stuck around because .. well that's complicated and not very relevant.

In the Ultimate universe they took this much further with Reed murdering his entire family and becoming a full-on super-villain.

But couldn't they try solving problems without being a dick about it?
I'm sure Marvel science could make some replicators and end hunger.

James Stacey

JamesC

Quote from: James Stacey on 30 July, 2014, 05:18:14 PM
Ah yes the old 'Reed Richards is Useless' trope
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless

Which is why it makes more sense, to me, to ignore it than to fudge some kind of reasoning that suggests that all attempts to help will result in super-villainny.

starscape

Try Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme for an excellent book on what happens when superheroes do what's right for the world by taking it over.  A seriously great book that set the foundations for Watchmen, Identity Crisis, Marvel's Civil War, Kingdom Come and so many others.

Colin YNWA

Yeah I'd echo that. For the type of comic it is, produced at the time it was, i.e. mainstream superheroes in 1985, it is seriously fantastic, brave series. Another example of the Jim Shooter era (whatever you think of the man) pressing boundaries and in doing so producing some compelling comics.

JamesC

That looks right up my street and I've just ordered a copy from Amazon.