Main Menu

MC1 Time Magazine

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 31 July, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

It's often occurred to me that if Mega City 1 still had Time magazine (which I seem to recall it does, though I can't remember where I saw it) Dredd would win Person of the Year pretty much every single year.  I mean, Chopper would have got it one year, and possible Devlin Waugh and Dan Francisco other year, but apart from that... there's the Cursed Earth, the Day the Law died, the Apocalypse War, Necropolis,, the Democracy thing Judgement Day, Inferno, etc, etc, etc - it would be pretty much a one-horse race; unless there's been monumental events outside MC1 that we don't hear about.

So (casting Occam's razor aside for a minute) come on, hypothetical future Time magazine, give some other fictional character a chance for once.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Surely Otto Stump would have got it one year.

Then Dave the Orangutan... and Mayor  Ambrose ya gotta think?

Steve Green

I imagine Cal won it one year.

JamesC

Fergie may have got it after Judge Cal.
Maybe Walter after the Robot Wars?

JayzusB.Christ

I suppose Cal is a definite contender - but only if Dredd's uprising took place the year after he came to power.  Fergie's a possibility too, though it's hard to see him overtaking Dredd in importance during that particular year.

Otto- probably, during a non-Mega-Epic year.

Walter - can't really see it.

Dave?  Not really a person, but you never know. He did get himself elected I suppose.

Mayor Ambrose - yeah, definitely.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 31 July, 2014, 05:10:39 PM
I suppose Cal is a definite contender - but only if Dredd's uprising took place the year after he came to power. 

Cal would've made it a law that he be Person of the Year.

Anderson for swallowing Judge Death and being Boinged.

JayzusB.Christ

50-odd-year old Anderson less so, given that she's done feck-all interesting in about 20 years. Saucer of milk over here, please, waiter. 

JOE SOAP

Eustace Fargo -circa 2031- for cleaning the place up.

Greg M.

Yassa Povey, 2112 - Without him, no Judge Dredd and no end to Necropolis.

Link Prime

A difficult one.

Dirty Frank (Trifecta), McGruder (Apocalypse War / Necropolis) or Kit Agee (Necropolis) are the only others that come to mind.

amines2058

Hmm not a bad idea for next months art comp depending on who wins it create a cover or magazine / newspaper set in relevant universe e.g. MC1 News, Termight Times, The Doghouse Daily! :-* ;) (Ps all of those ideas are mine if anyone actually goes with this!)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 31 July, 2014, 05:39:20 PM
A difficult one.

Dirty Frank (Trifecta), McGruder (Apocalypse War / Necropolis) or Kit Agee (Necropolis) are the only others that come to mind.

Fair enough, but the thing is it was Dredd who was the chief player in all of those.  I'm not sure if the citizens even knew who Kit Agee was.

Dark Jimbo

Couldn't resist.

2100 - Walter/Dredd
2101 - Clarence Goodman
2102 - Fergie/Dredd/Cal
2103 - Pepper?
2104 - N/A
2105 - Dredd/Griffin
2106 - James Fenmore Snork
2107 - 'Two Ton' Tony Tubbs
2108 - Mayor Dave
2109 - Hilda McGruder
2110 - Marlon 'Chopper' Shakespeare
2111 - Fustus Yess
2112 - N/A
2113 - Dredd/Anderson
2114 -N/A
2115 - Jacob Sardini
2116 - Hadrian Volt
2117 -
2118 -
2119 -
2120 -
2121 - Barbara Hershey
2122 -
2123 - Darien Kenze
2124 - Otto Sump
2125 -
2126 -
2127 -
2128 - Robert Krush
2129 -
2130 -
2131 - Dan Francisco
2132 - Martin Sinfield/'Byron Ambrose'
2133 -
2134 - N/A
2135 -
2136 -

Most of these are commemorative retrospectives, awarded the year the character died (and thus assuming they hadn't already won previously). I also made the fairly safe assumption that the city would have had better things to do than publish magazines during the Apocalypse War, Necropolis, Judgement Day or Chaos Day - the hero(oes) of those events got the award the following year, when the city was back on its feet. To be honest I'm struggling with the rest.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Classic! I knew I could rely on you guys to overthink this fictional hypothesis even more than I've done! Though I'm pretty sure Dredd would be up there the year after Necropolis; and after Judgement Day.  And to be fair, the Democratic referendum was a biggy too, and that was pretty much all Dredd's doing.

Frank

It's definitely not the case - because Dredd's been shown to be a widely known public figure, whose assignment to a sector is enough to register a reduction in crime by itself - but I like to fancon things so Dredd's just an anonymous grunt to anyone outside the Department. I like the idea that the identity of the guy who brought down the Necropolis and nuked EM1 and MC2 is as obscure as those of the retired army colonels whose obituaries in The Telegraph read like a list of the pivotal moments of the 20th century, but who could walk down the street unrecognised.

Back on topic, Mayor Ambrose seems the most likely candidate, because dead people have a natural advantage in popularity contests. Hester Hyman should be a candidate by that measure, but my reading of Revolution (531-533) is that the Democratic Movement is too marginal and divisive for their figurehead to sweep the polls. Bennet Beeny might be a decent punt, depending on how long the interval between the release of The Geek Who Ate My Kneepad and his taking to wearing the body of his friend like a coat actually was. I'd vote for Uncle Ump, because I still feel bad about what happened to him.