Main Menu

New Xmas Annuals

Started by starscape, 14 October, 2014, 06:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: amines2058 on 19 October, 2014, 06:10:18 PM
Sainsburys Newport has Whizzer & Chips and 70's Girls Comics Anuals and that appears to be it. Bit disappointing but still think I will get both for my daughter for Xmas (OK W&C may be for me  :))
That's all they had in the Sainburys in Biggleswade too.
Would have got the Battle and Hotspur one had they had them in.
Bit disappointed in the thinness of them.

Daveycandlish

Check out your old annuals Mattofthespurs, they were regularly 70 pages long just with thicker paper stock than that used these days
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

amines2058

OK just an update on the Sainsburys Newport situation. They now have every single annual available. I took an opportunity last night to peruse the Battle annual and it was very nice indeed.  :D

shaolin_monkey

Out of interest, I got a job lot of 13 Beano/Dandy/Whizzer and Chips annuals for £25 inc p&p from eBay the other day.  That'll keep my kids quiet at Xmas!!

Can anyone remind me of the comic with ghosts and stuff?  I remember Monster Fun, but wasn't there another?  Shaky?  Spooky? Something like that?

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

James Stacey

I loved Shiver and Shake. Classic Leo Baxendale with Sweeny Toddler :)

shaolin_monkey

That's the one, thanks guys!

Hawkmumbler

Was waiting for my turn at the dentist today so went to buy something to read. To my delight Sainsbrys got the Battle annual in. Flicking through I liked the odds, the first two chapters of Rat Pack plus a story not collected in Guns, Guts and Glory. Three chapters of Johnny Red (of which I own none) and chapters of D-Day Dawson (which makes up one third of the book) and Day of the Eagle (four chapters). For £3.99 I couldn't be happier. :lol:

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 21 October, 2014, 07:38:21 AM
Check out your old annuals Mattofthespurs, they were regularly 70 pages long just with thicker paper stock than that used these days
That's what I was basing it on, my old annuals.
128 pages in the first 2000 AD annual.
The paper stock is thinner but I prefer the thicker paper such was used in the fairly recent 2000 AD and Judge Dredd collections that came out a few years ago.

japandroid

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 October, 2014, 06:26:26 PM
I'd love to see a Monster Fun annual.
Yeah, collecting all of the Badtime Bedtime Books.

Goosegash

Excuse this rather self-serving post, but I'm flogging a few of these on ebay if anyone wants them that hasn't been able to get them. Only managed to get the DC Thomson ones so far, but I'm hopeful the Egmont books may make an appearance.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,41317.0.html

Glancing through these has been something of a nostalgia overload, particularly when I come across a strip I recognise from the annuals I inherited from my dad. That said, it's weird just how few memorable characters The Topper actually had, compared to other contemporaneous DCT titles. Other than Beryl The Peril, it's a struggle to think of any Topper regulars an average person could name off the top of their head. Even the annuals resorted to reprinting ancient funny pages-fodder like Nancy and The Katzenjammer Kids in amongst all the forgotten nonentities like Keyhole Kate and Figaro. I think the worst (and possibly most offensive) was Dopey Joe, whose sole characterisation was "a stupid indian".

The Beezer strips seem so much more fun and colourful by comparison. They had a strip called "Our Sheriff's An Ape", for goodness' sake!