Main Menu

HBO Cancels Westworld.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 05 November, 2022, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

I've not seen much of this show, but it was pretty popular for a time, but it seems it has bit the dust.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/hbo-cancels-westworld-1235255955/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 November, 2022, 11:36:02 AM
I've not seen much of this show, but it was pretty popular for a time, but it seems it has bit the dust.

The first season was tremendous, but it was also obviously finished. I couldn't see the point of a second season, but watched it out of curiousity. It wasn't bad, but trying to work out what narrative tricks they were playing became distracting after the brilliant twist in the first season.

The third settled on a more straightforward narrative style which, unfortunately, revealed that the previous trickery papered over some very weak plotting. I'll confess I haven't bothered with S4.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

S3 Westworld:  complex and intriguing issues set up in SI & 2 about the nature of sentience, consciousness, the moral duties of the creator to its creations and what exactly 'human' means are settled by having two robot chicks batter the shit out of each other.

QuoteI'll confess I haven't bothered with S4.

Neither did anyone else, hence the cancellation.

Pyroxian

A shame really, as S4 was my 2nd favourite after S1. But it did have an ending at least, even if it was left a bit open for another season.

Buttonman

That's a pity - I stuck with it to the end - only season 2 was weak for me. Expanding into the 'real' world opened it up and Aaron Paul's character was good and had a decent arc. I think they knew cancellation was a possibility as they last season did have a finale of sorts, but I had seen Ed Harris post he was back for more - despite his character being killed loads of times!

Overall I think the world building and complex story made it hard for new viewers to get into and existing ones drifted away. I always ended an episode by watching a 'things you missed' video on Youtube and there were always plenty. Good to reward the careful viewer but don't make it so dense and inaccessible that you turn people off!

'Blockbuster' on Netflix it is then!