Main Menu

Random Dredd Questions

Started by GizmoDuck, 09 March, 2023, 10:33:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 March, 2023, 11:37:31 AMI'd also ass instructions

I swear I typed 'add'!  Sorry everyone, I only saw my typo after the edit window had closed.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JohnW

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 March, 2023, 11:52:30 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 March, 2023, 11:37:31 AMI'd also ass instructions

I swear I typed 'add'!  Sorry everyone, I only saw my typo after the edit window had closed.
Too late.
What with the sauciness of your script suggestions, I was already scandalised beyond measure.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Dash Decent

It was totally unintentional, and as penance, I'll say three Male Hairies  ...oh no!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Robin Low

Quote from: Dash Decent on 11 March, 2023, 11:37:31 AMThat's really good, Robin.  McGruder was the first character that leapt to mind when I started reading this ageing/non-ageing discussion.

PANEL ONE

The lounge and bar at The Panellers Club. Robin and Dash sit in green leather armchairs discussing their latest efforts.

ROBIN: THANKS, DASH. IF ONLY THIS COMIC-WRITING MALARKEY WAS AS EASY AS JUST TWO HALF-DECENT PANELS...

PANEL TWO

Gary Larson peers above the top of his newspaper.

GARY LARSON: *AHEM* GENTLEMEN...

Regards,

Robin

WhizzBang

I have a random Dredd question - what do people here think about the fashion situation in Mega City 1 these days? It used to be the case that the citizens looked pretty strange such as having kneepads, jumpsuits, weird haircuts, funny writing ("I'm Joe!" "So Am I!"), shoulder and elbow adornments but it is often the case in modern strips that people are dressed in today's clothes.

For example, in the current prog story Succession everybody looks normally dressed for today. Lot's of people are wearing suits while jeans and a jacket will do for others.

In the early years of the Prog we had Max Normal who was supposed to look weird because he wore a suit and absolutely no-one else did but modern stories frequently have people wearing them.

Robin Low

Quote from: WhizzBang on 11 March, 2023, 07:09:52 PMI have a random Dredd question - what do people here think about the fashion situation in Mega City 1 these days?

Haven't read a Prog for several months now, but I have felt there's been a trend towards the commonplace among the citizenry in recent years.

That said, I was a fan of Barry Kitson's fashions back in the day - his clothing looked like something from a different time, without looking outlandish. Loved his kneepads and caps with earflaps.

Regards,
Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 11 March, 2023, 07:50:21 PMHaven't read a Prog for several months now

So, your opinion is completely invalid...? Please do share your thoughts on other things you have no direct experience of but somehow think you're qualified to spaff on about.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lawman of the Present

The cits were always something of a product of the time. I like how the style of the citizens changes with the era personally, as it shows visually how MC-1 has developed over the decades much akin to real world trends. The cits are constantly embracing fads, if anything fashion would change on a rapid basis in the Big Meg.

One thing I would like is more emphasis on canonising the historic looks of the characters. For example, for the most part, flashbacks to 2099 feature the classic Lawmaster but often seem to depict Judges in their modern style. Occasionally they are drawn with the early more bug-eyed helmets and smaller armour, which is a nice touch and shows the design development occurring in-universe. If we're constantly retconning to suggest Judges have always worn the modern uniform (apart from the Judges era) I don't know any institution that's kept an identical uniform for so many years! I guess the counter to this is deciding which particular look is canon, when there is variation between artist styles and always has been. But the general look of an era could be evoked.

Likewise, for stories set in the earlier eras, I'd like to see the cits reflecting their appearances/slang from that era. Groove it, Daddy-O!

13school

I always thought the various different looks amongst the cits (which were obviously the result of the preferences of the different artists) were the result of the sheer size of Mega City-1. Trends would be different in different blocks, some areas were fashionable and cutting edge while others only caught on months later, and with so many people and trends going around old looks were coming back in style before they'd even had time to vanish.

That said, as someone who is about as up-to-date with the progs as you can currently get in Australia, I too have noticed the current trends in the Big Meg often tend to be sticking fairly closely to the styles of roughly 120 years previous.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 March, 2023, 11:05:15 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 11 March, 2023, 07:50:21 PMHaven't read a Prog for several months now

So, your opinion is completely invalid...? Please do share your thoughts on other things you have no direct experience of but somehow think you're qualified to spaff on about.

Blimey, have things changed that much since Prog 2311? I better get my subscription renewed.

Regards,
Robin

Funt Solo

Quote from: Robin Low on 12 March, 2023, 07:34:33 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 March, 2023, 11:05:15 PM

Blimey, have things changed that much since Prog 2311? I better get my subscription renewed.

I'm with Robin Low Block. I'm going through a thrill-dry period and haven't read the prog since the zombie crossover back in September. It's some combination of my work situation, being ground down by wankers on the Internet, the Regened issues and Skip Tracer.

Given the nature of the OP, and having read the other two thousand, three hundred progs that were published prior to that, I'm pretty sure my opinion would still be valid and not just "spaff".

---

OP: Have the Mega-Cits toned down their outré garmentage: has the city become more fashionably pedestrian? You decide...

A shuggy hall, circa 2101:

Slidewalks, circa 2103:

Tween-block plaza, circa 2114:

Grand Hall, circa 2126:

The Streets, circa 2142:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GizmoDuck

Another random thought. In Carry the Nine Prog 2200-2203, Head of Accounts Maitland (another OTT ridiculously seggy female character modelled on a calendar librarian by the look of it  :rolleyes: ) runs the figures and basically proves that if Justice Dept push the budget into education then crime will dramatically  drop in MC-1, like... drop through the floor.

Doesn't this just invalidate the whole plot and point of Dredd? Or is that the point? Haha... grim dark, nihilism an' all that.

GizmoDuck

QuoteThe Streets, circa 2142:

Okay, that's friggin' weird, the last picture is from Carry the Nine, What is happening!!?

13school

Quote from: GizmoDuck on 13 March, 2023, 09:38:05 AMAnother random thought. In Carry the Nine Prog 2200-2203, Head of Accounts Maitland (another OTT ridiculously seggy female character modelled on a calendar librarian by the look of it  :rolleyes: ) runs the figures and basically proves that if Justice Dept push the budget into education then crime will dramatically  drop in MC-1, like... drop through the floor.

Doesn't this just invalidate the whole plot and point of Dredd? Or is that the point? Haha... grim dark, nihilism an' all that.

I assumed the idea was that Justice Department like Mega City-1 just the way it is - without the massive amount of crime they'd have no justification for pretty much everything they do, so getting rid of crime isn't really in their best interests.

(whether education alone would really solve MC1's crime problem is another matter - time was the rationale for all the crime / block wars / random violence / etc seemed to be the crushing boredom and pointlessness of Mega-City life, combined with overcrowding, future shock, and the general aftermath of an atomic war basically destroying America as the cits knew it. But presumably a new generation has grown used to all that, and so the current constant crime wave has a different origin)

IndigoPrime

That aligns to some degree with real-world thinking, TBF. Williams was doing his homework.