Main Menu

Longest-serving art droid?

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 21 August, 2023, 07:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I think it's fair to say the longest-serving script droid still active is, since the departure of Pat Mills, John Wagner.  And we're incredibly lucky to have him.

I was just musing to myself while reading Dreadnoughts, though - was Ezquerra the last of the prog 1 artists?  Is John Higgins now the droid who's been there longest?  It's mad when I think back to how his Dredds were an intrinsic part of my childhood, and how he's still here, as good as he ever was.  Or am I missing someone?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 August, 2023, 07:17:51 AMIs John Higgins now the droid who's been there longest?

I was having this conversation elsewhere recently, and I'm pretty sure it's John Higgins (with Brendan McCarthy having now retired from comics). I'll confess I was more than a little taken aback when BARNEY informed me that his 2000AD debut was back in Prog 108...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Blue Cactus

When did John Burns come on board? Not suggesting he's been there longer, just curious as he's a real comics veteran but I'm not sure when he joined Tharg's ranks.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 21 August, 2023, 01:11:27 PMWhen did John Burns come on board? Not suggesting he's been there longer, just curious as he's a real comics veteran but I'm not sure when he joined Tharg's ranks.

Given the time be has spent in the Industry he came relatively late to 2000ad. Earliest I can spot from a quick scan on Barney is Prog 738.

Might be be something is Specials etc before then but didn't dig that deep.

Colin YNWA

And of course if you aren't an idiot like me you can just look at the Profile where it confirmed its Prog 738!

broodblik

The first time I saw Burn's work was for The Eagle "The Fists of Danny Pyke".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Blue Cactus

Thanks for checking, which of course I should have just done for myself!

nxylas

Dave Gibbons is still going, though he hasn't drawn for the prog since 2002, according to Barney (unless there's something I've forgotten since Barney stopped being updated).
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: nxylas on 21 August, 2023, 02:58:32 PMDave Gibbons is still going, though he hasn't drawn for the prog since 2002, according to Barney (unless there's something I've forgotten since Barney stopped being updated).

So's Mick McMahon, and he's done the occasional cover more recently than that, but I think we're talking about artists still actively contributing to The Mighty One's thrilling organs... FNARR.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 August, 2023, 03:21:09 PM
Quote from: nxylas on 21 August, 2023, 02:58:32 PMDave Gibbons is still going, though he hasn't drawn for the prog since 2002, according to Barney (unless there's something I've forgotten since Barney stopped being updated).

So's Mick McMahon, and he's done the occasional cover more recently than that, but I think we're talking about artists still actively contributing to The Mighty One's thrilling organs... FNARR.
He wasn't in prog 1, but point taken.

Woolly

Quote from: nxylas on 21 August, 2023, 05:01:42 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 August, 2023, 03:21:09 PM

He wasn't in prog 1, but point taken.

Didn't McMahon do the art for the 'Next Week Meet...' advert for Dredd in Prog one?
Has to count if he did...

Woolly

How long has it been since Jesus Redondo was in the Prog/Meg?

Barney reckons Prog 13 for his first appearance, and Prog 1961 as his last.
But I can't help thinking he's come back more recently than that?

nxylas

Quote from: Woolly on 21 August, 2023, 06:44:44 PMDidn't McMahon do the art for the 'Next Week Meet...' advert for Dredd in Prog one?
Has to count if he did...
Ah yes, forgot about that. Was that him or Carlos?

AlexF

You could consider Mike Dorey, who hasn't drawn for the Prog in some decades but has done some of the recent Battle revival strips and potentially could appear in a Prog or Meg one day..?

broodblik

Brain Bolland did last years 45th celebration prog's cover (prog 2270)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.