Main Menu

Which Apex Editions would you like to see?

Started by IndigoPrime, 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

I know he did a Slaine cover or two, but Pat Mills thought that he wasn't really the right artist for Slaine.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Le Fink

Quote from: JohnW on 22 October, 2023, 06:08:43 PMI never thought too highly of Gibson's work until Halo Jones 3, and evidently he sometimes didn't think much of it himself. The following is his introduction to the 1984 Titan reprint of Day of the Droids.
Yes fair comments. And from the horse's mouth! He certainly upped his game on Halo Jones 3, some stunning portraits and action scenes in there, but I'm still a fan of the art in book 1. It's a bit looser, less detailed, and I do love it.

Having a leaf through the Robo-Hunter Hachette volumes he got much more consistent from the Brit-Cit set episodes onwards. I'd agree it's not as appealing as Halo, and his Dredd too could be a bit up and down. Still, when he is up he is up, so I do think there'd be more than enough quality stuff for an Apex (with the usual caveat, if originals can be found).

As a side question, do we know what printing of Halo Jones has been the best up to now? - Book 2 in my Hachette volume has some serious repro issues.

Le Fink

Quote from: Magnetica on 20 October, 2023, 11:47:34 PMPlus I guess:
Ron Smith Dredd
Carlos Dredd, Stront and Stainless Steel Rat
Colin McNeill America and Mechanismo
Henry Flint Day of Chaos
+1 for Colin MacNeil's colour painted works - the above plus anything from Chopper, the Dredd episode Firepower, and the Stront stories Top Dogs and Final Solution... yes please.

Hmmm building up quite a list here!

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: JohnW on 22 October, 2023, 06:08:43 PM
Quote from: nxylas on 22 October, 2023, 04:14:02 PMI never thought too highly of Gibson's work until Halo Jones 3, and evidently he sometimes didn't think much of it himself. The following is his introduction to the 1984 Titan reprint of Day of the Droids.

Ian is specifically talking about Day of the Droids here. IIRC he was in a band at the time & was putting all of his focus on that. Which is why the art looks so rushed compared with the majesty that is Verdus, In hindsight he was so embarrassed by the result that he adopted the bylines Emberton & Q. Twerk because he didn't want the readers to associate his new work with his performance on that particular strip.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Magnetica

Quote from: Le Fink on 22 October, 2023, 10:20:23 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 20 October, 2023, 11:47:34 PMPlus I guess:
Ron Smith Dredd
Carlos Dredd, Stront and Stainless Steel Rat
Colin McNeill America and Mechanismo
Henry Flint Day of Chaos
+1 for Colin MacNeil's colour painted works - the above plus anything from Chopper, the Dredd episode Firepower, and the Stront stories Top Dogs and Final Solution... yes please.

Hmmm building up quite a list here!

Yes good shout on McNeil's work on Top Dogs and the Final Solution. Especially Top Dogs - it's one of his finest. I wasn't keen though on his early Stront b&w stuff, for which I'm guessing the brief was "make it look like Carlos".

deedeetee

I wouldn't mind a Belardinelli edition, there's a lot to choose from for him, Dan Dare, Ace Trucking, Slaine... I've a page from Ace trucking I'd happily share...

sheridan

Quote from: deedeetee on 24 October, 2023, 10:31:40 AMI wouldn't mind a Belardinelli edition, there's a lot to choose from for him, Dan Dare, Ace Trucking, Slaine... I've a page from Ace trucking I'd happily share...
Which story / page is your Ace Trucking page?

deedeetee

Part 1, page 1 of the Carpetbaggers. If I could figure out how to attach a photo from laptop to this post, I would...

sheridan

Quote from: deedeetee on 24 October, 2023, 02:02:33 PMPart 1, page 1 of the Carpetbaggers. If I could figure out how to attach a photo from laptop to this post, I would...

"Ace de Laurentis presents A Run Run Garp Production The Garpetbaggers starring the Aces Garp featuring Feek the Freek and G-B-H! And introducing, in his first major comic role Evil Guts"

deedeetee

Quote from: sheridan on 24 October, 2023, 02:29:49 PM
Quote from: deedeetee on 24 October, 2023, 02:02:33 PMPart 1, page 1 of the Carpetbaggers. If I could figure out how to attach a photo from laptop to this post, I would...

"Ace de Laurentis presents A Run Run Garp Production The Garpetbaggers starring the Aces Garp featuring Feek the Freek and G-B-H! And introducing, in his first major comic role Evil Guts"

That's the one!!

I, Cosh

Do we know if McMahon 2 is going to include all of Sky Chariots?

I'd love a Simon Harrison Apex but I guess there's only six of us. Of the ones that might actually sell, I think Belardinelli would be the one for me: imagine some of those Dan Dare spreads or The Battle of Clontarf up close. The other advantage is you could get about 80% of the book from one collector!
We never really die.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: I, Cosh on 01 November, 2023, 10:08:56 PMDo we know if McMahon 2 is going to include all of Sky Chariots?

I think a fair chunk of McMahon's Slaine work is 'lost'... I bottled out of buying a page of Warrior's Dawn about a decade ago — the entire episode was up for grabs, and none of it has ever re-surfaced or even been showcased on the various collectors' websites. TBH, I'd buy an Apex that only consisted of Mick's Slaine work, but I think decent amount of it resides in the collection(s) of people who aren't that interested in sharing it. :(
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I find that attitude sad. I mean, I get that people would want to de-risk any damage to their collections, but there are ways to make that happen. Scanners can come to them, for example. But that notion of "it's mine and I'm not sharing"? Bah. You still have the original. But others could enjoy it too. (See also: video games, where people sit on cartridges, disks and ROMs forever, not letting them be dumped, despite the old media degrading over time.)

13school

I'm not overly optimistic about the Sky Chariot content, which is disappointing considering I too would happily buy an Apex edition that was 100% McMahon-drawn Slaine.

I dimly remember seeing a comment on FB a fair while back from someone who was very clear they had no interest in sharing their Slaine art collection, which was a shame but hardly a surprise considering the prevailing attitude of a lot of big collectors (of pretty much anything)