Main Menu

Underappreciated droids appreciation thread

Started by nxylas, 30 October, 2023, 10:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: nxylas on 03 November, 2023, 03:17:58 PMAFAIK, neither of them has "done a Cleese" and devolved from a talented creator to a partisan hack spewing GB News viewers' prejudices back at them.

Was Cleese really ever a talented creator?  I'm not convinced that a career built on "throwing a hissy fit (and preferably hitting things) while others look on, bemused" demonstrates much range in terms of creativity.

Funt Solo

Almost tempting to suddenly agree with all his politics just on the basis of how ridiculous it is to try to retcon John Cleese out of comedy greatness. Stop that! It's too silly!

---

Bolland never gets much love, does he? I mean, everyone's always like "yeah, his early, clean lines", and "that's not a very good cover for a biography". Give the guy a break!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 03 November, 2023, 09:07:30 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 03 November, 2023, 07:33:59 PMOh yeah, I was a Lol fan too.  He would have been perfect for the early days of SinDex when it was fast-paced, trashy and fun. Or maybe he drew an episode or two?  I can't remember now.

Coptalk, 1116

I thank y'all.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 04 November, 2023, 05:34:22 AMAlmost tempting to suddenly agree with all his politics just on the basis of how ridiculous it is to try to retcon John Cleese out of comedy greatness. Stop that! It's too silly!
Yeah, I know it's fashionable nowadays to give Connie Booth all the credit for the greatness of Flowery Twats, but that doesn't explain A Fish Called Wanda.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 04 November, 2023, 03:53:13 PMYou don't need Google when you have Barney:

http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=LOL

Feck sake, staring me in the face. I forgot we have Barney at our disposal
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

nxylas

John Cooper is another artist who doesn't get mentioned much these days, despite the recent One Eyed Jack crossover in the Meg.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

JohnW

Cooper was doing Johnny Red when I first saw his work. I used to think he was well suited to a story of violence and misery on the Russian Front even though I wasn't particularly a fan. Cooper's faces were coarse and ugly and, unless beards or eyepatches or something were evident, there was little to distinguish one from another. Then I saw Joe Colquhoun's take on the same story, and my heart hardened against Cooper.

These days, while I still think Colquhoun was the man, I can see his faults. His panels were too crammed with detail and his proportions were often out of whack. Cooper on the other hand, while he mightn't have cared about the difference between an Me 109E and an Me 109F, drew some great aerial action scenes, and they were what the story was all about.

Blurs of tracer and shattered perspex; dirty smoke and streams of glycol smudged across the freezing air.
Dynamic AF.

I wouldn't buy a John Cooper Apex Edition, but I've been waiting bloody years for Titan to bring us the next volume of Johnny Red reprint.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

pauljholden

Quote from: JohnW on 01 November, 2023, 08:59:03 AM
Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 November, 2023, 07:01:35 AMI don't like the way PJ Holden butters his toast.
I knew there was something off about that guy.

Genuinely this was a constant complaint of my mother's.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: pauljholden on 05 November, 2023, 08:42:25 PMGenuinely this was a constant complaint of my mother's.

...And not the pile of rotting corpses in the cellar?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 05 November, 2023, 10:22:31 PM
Quote from: pauljholden on 05 November, 2023, 08:42:25 PMGenuinely this was a constant complaint of my mother's.

...And not the pile of rotting corpses in the cellar?

Important to have something to put on the toast.

JayzusB.Christ

And in fairness, what else do you expect him to use for figure-drawing reference?

Barrington Boots

Quote from: JohnW on 05 November, 2023, 05:13:17 PMI wouldn't buy a John Cooper Apex Edition, but I've been waiting bloody years for Titan to bring us the next volume of Johnny Red reprint.

Everything you said is true. Masterful action scenes and square-jawed tough guys with the same face. I'd totally buy a John Cooper Apex edition though!
You're a dark horse, Boots.