Main Menu

PWEI

Started by James, 04 August, 2003, 03:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I'm just listening to Pop Will Eat Itself on Musicmatch Jukebox.

That's all really.

I finished a page today so i'm in a good mood.

SmallBlueThing

The lady and I have just finished watching BBC3's 'Would Like To Meet' programme- about Allie, a 33 year old goth girl, with a son, who presumably "would like to meet" men.

As a 33 year old goth bloke, with a 38 year old goth lady and a small son, I could not believe the small-minded petty irritating ignorance and hypocritical bollocks this programme spouted.

Apparently it was okay for the makers to call her "scary" and "off-putting" and accuse her of "living in the past"- but NOT okay for her to similarly stereotype notGoths as hideous twats. The entire programme revolved around battering her down, destroying her personality and rebuilding it so she "fit into society". And to make matters worse, they put the whole of it to a Guns n Roses soundtrack!

Now, as someone who would never even consider a relationship with a notGoth, and never has done, I find the idea of such programmes squirm-inducing in the extreme. After all, if the programme was really about helping Allie find a man- why not do a show about introducing her to lots of elligible goth men? After all, she lives in London fer Chrissakes, they're not hard to find! Instead, it was a hideous, sadistic attempt to rip the piss out of her, eradicate her identity and make her look like the rest of the world.

Poor cow. You could see her desperation written all over her face. Surely there's some kind of law against TV exploiting people in this way? She tried her best to maintain her dignity, but in the end they won her over, and it was very sad to see.

I realise this has sweet bugger all to do with the topic in hand, but I just wanted to rant. And Guns n Roses! I ask you! Is it any wonder BBC3 is dying on it's arse? Dreadful channel, full of the kind of toss you'd usually find on ITV1 or worse, ITV2 in the middle of the night. That bloody license fee needs to go, sharpish.

Steev
Disgusted, of Hastings.

Misanthrope

Didn't they mention Alan Moore in a song?

"Alan Moore knows the score."
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Devons Daddy

you did not mention which novel you finished READING the page off james?
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

JamieB

That's from CAN U DIG IT?, off their second album, THIS IS THE DAY... THIS IS THE HOUR... THIS IS THIS!

J-Bo-Def-Con-1

Trout

Now you've made me hungry.

- Yer "gimme Big Mac fries to go" Trout

Art

...featuring samples from top film The Warriors, naturally...

Riffs! Yeah!http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/42/80/30m.jpg">

Quirkafleeg

breweries, videos, comics....

JamieB

All the best people sample THE WARRIORS*

J-Bo-1

*By which I mean Atari Teenage Riot

La Mer

'we dig tv, we dig remote control,
we dig the furry freak brothers and the twilight zone,
we dig marvel and dc,
we dig run dmc
we dig renegade soundwave and AC?DC!
Can u dig it? Hell Yeah!!'

ah, a misspent youth following stourbridges finest from london to glasgow, watching them play all points in between......

Clint mansell (vocals) wrote the music to the film Pie (as in the mathimatical equation, not shortcrust) dontcha know.....

Mudcrab

By which I mean Atari Teenage Riot

My Warriors! You have done well!

:o) Is that the bit? Was yeeeeaaaaaars ago I saw The Warriors, if indeed, I ever saw it at all? Get mixed up with Young Warriors and other films of that ilk.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Mudcrab

Yeah, I have, not that long ago actually, if I'm recognising the microscopic pic of the cover there.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

IndigoPrime

I didn't realise that, but Pi's soundtrack was pretty rockin'! :)

Pweisation remains one of my all-time faves, as does Karmadrome and Bulletproof.

fred

Are they still going/gonna do a tour? Seems to be a revival of that ilk on at the mo. Saw Jesus Jones a few months back at the New Marquee, Inspiral Carpets at Brixton Academy, Wonderstuff in a few months time. Know what I mean? PWEI have to slot in there somewhere. Them and Gay Bikers on Acid!

satchmo

I saw them at The Mayfair in Newcastle (which dont exist anymore) they were always one of my favourite bands. I was telling PVS about their song Harry Dean Stanton just the other day...
Clint is an accomplished film score musician, he did Requiem for a Dream, one of the best scores Ive ever heard in a film to be honest.