Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Cradle of Fear

I recorded this from the horror channel and just finished watching it. It has a very low budget, which is no bad thing in itself. Some of the acting isn't great, althought I think some of it is intended to be tongue in cheek, but I found it quite entertaining.

Essentially an anthology of four gruesome stories that are tentatively linked*. Blood, guts and boobies applenty. It's kind of tacky, but I thought one of the stories was actually rather good, and the others were at least entertaining.

I was quite surprised to recognise a familiar face: Edmund Dehn! He plays a surly detective investigating a string of murders in the connecting story arc.

*I.e. one of those stories kind of provides an arc linking the others, yet if it didn't exist the other stories would still kind of work by themselves.

PsychoGoatee

Thank you to John Wick Chapter 2, best John Wick film of all time! Redonkulously epic. It's almost a crime how cool this movie makes being a classy hitman look.

(I forget who got greenlit to direct the Button Man movie, I say get this guy!)

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 February, 2017, 03:30:23 AM
Cradle of Fear

I was quite surprised to recognise a familiar face: Edmund Dehn! He plays a surly detective investigating a string of murders in the connecting story arc.

*I.e. one of those stories kind of provides an arc linking the others, yet if it didn't exist the other stories would still kind of work by themselves.
As with most anthology linking-story films :)

One of the stories stars someone who used to drink down my local - shall have to watch again and look out for Minty!

Rara Avis

Finally got around to seeing 'Hacksaw Ridge' .. war has never looked so good.

The beginning is a bit schmaltzy and goes on too long but it was very good overall.
Its beautifully shot but the gory parts are really disturbing.

Mardroid

Quote from: sheridan on 12 February, 2017, 12:10:54 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 11 February, 2017, 03:30:23 AM
Cradle of Fear

As with most anthology linking-story films :)

True.  I didn't mean that as a criticism, just an observation. I just found it interesting to try to work out how the[spoiler] demon goth character was actually responsible for a lot of the nastiness in the stories (first one and main arc not included, as he is central there.) since there are 'in-story' explanation for at least a couple of them.[/spoiler] But it kind of works either way.

QuoteOne of the stories stars someone who used to drink down my local - shall have to watch again and look out for Minty!

Cool! I'm always fascinated by the little coincidences (or are they?) that crop up in life. I happen to watch a film that (unknowing to me before-hand) starred an actor who starred in a fan-film that was broadcast at an event on the very next day that we both attended.* And he sat down just two seats away from me!

I know, I'm probably too easily fascinated!

*The fact he turned up is not a coinicidence in itself, since it was the London premier, and he does star in it, after all.

CalHab

Just back from a 25th anniversary screening of Candyman, along with a Q&A with the director, Bernard Rose. The film stands up well, and I picked up on the social commentary that was lost on my teen self when I watched it all those years ago.

I also learned that there were murders in the projects where people had come through the bathroom cabinets. It wasn't just an invention for the film. Creepy.

Pegasus P Artichoke

Just seen the Lego Batman movie and I have to say it was superb

Probably my favourite batman movie now, the guys involved just got it perfectly for me with his character. A total joy to watch

Still has all the zaniness from the Lego movie, I heartily recommend it

I hate saying too much about a film if some people haven't seen it yet but very good and very enjoyable
We'll give them back their heroes

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 12 February, 2017, 05:36:03 PM
I just found it interesting to try to work out how the[spoiler] demon goth character was actually responsible for a lot of the nastiness in the stories (first one and main arc not included, as he is central there.) since there are 'in-story' explanation for at least a couple of them.[/spoiler] But it kind of works either way.

QuoteOne of the stories stars someone who used to drink down my local - shall have to watch again and look out for Minty!

Cool! I'm always fascinated by the little coincidences (or are they?) that crop up in life. I happen to watch a film that (unknowing to me before-hand) starred an actor who starred in a fan-film that was broadcast at an event on the very next day that we both attended.* And he sat down just two seats away from me!

The guy who used to drink down my local was the [spoiler]demon goth character[/spoiler], though I wouldn't say he was a friend of mine.  I was surprised to see a few bandmates of his were also in the film, and those I did consider friends (and I'm sure if I bumped in to them in a pub these days we'd have a pint or two).

Mardroid

Cradle of Filth?

I know they were in the film, as various characters (mostly background ones I think) and their music themed quite heavily.

Mardroid

Aside from the[spoiler] Goth demon guy I mean. (Dani Filth.) [/spoiler]He was obviously pretty central.

Buttonman

The latest John Michael McDonagh film War on Everyone. Dusted off the old blog in tribute!

JamesC

Trainspotting 2
I enjoyed it but it didn't seem quite as real as the first film, with lots of things resting on coincidence. 'Inevitability' seemed to be a strong theme which I found a little bit depressing. Good film though.

Mattofthespurs

Saw a double at the cinema yesterday.

Lego Batman - Funny but ultimately, I thought, too long. Seems to have at least 3 endings and falls into the trap of being a 'feel good' movie. However, some great references for Batman fans and is something I would watch again 6/10

Followed this with;

T2: Trainspotting - Thought this was very good. Slow start as it basically assumes the audience knows not a great deal about the original and spends the first 30 mins re-introducing them. Nowhere near as depressing as the first film and I actually walked out feeling pretty uplifted. Good choice to have the film feature more about Spud than Renton and in regards to 'Inevitability'...I think it's kinds saying that you get out of life what you put into it.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 11 February, 2017, 06:52:51 AM
Thank you to John Wick Chapter 2, best John Wick film of all time! Redonkulously epic. It's almost a crime how cool this movie makes being a classy hitman look.

(I forget who got greenlit to direct the Button Man movie, I say get this guy!)

Seeing this in a couple of days.
I had John Wick recommended to me a couple of years ago and only got round to watching it in the last month or so. Have now watched it three times. Love it. Looking forward to the sequel.

sheridan

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 February, 2017, 09:06:07 PM
Cradle of Filth?

I know they were in the film, as various characters (mostly background ones I think) and their music themed quite heavily.

Yep - that's the ones - I used to drink with Gian and Adrian though knew Dani to speak to.  Didn't know the other band member(s?) at all.  The delights of living in a one-alternative pub town.