Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Considering the older report of the writer, Garland, being present everyday on set wasn't a sign of good relations.

CraveNoir

This news doesn't make me concerned for the production. (And bear in mind I've expressed no views on any other aspect of it!)

It was always Garland, Reich and Macdonald's project. They've consistently stated their aim for the film to be a violent hard R-rated film that's true to the character. It's not like this is studio intervention. It's been their vision from the start.

There were some indications of... frustrations while shooting, especially after the Xmas break, so whatever the concerns might be, they were being addressed then. Garland, Reich and Macdonald were on set, and in spite of the hyperbole on news sites, and reading between the lines, it looks like Travis' services were no longer required after principal photography wrapped in February (maybe March. I know the second unit carried on for a bit longer). That's nearly eight months ago, with another 11 to come.

If they think it'll make the film truer to what they set out to do then I hope they do go ahead with some reshoots as clearly they didn't get some of what they wanted, and that's a surprise as Travis has good form.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Some sort of falling out has occurred on the DREDD Film for whatever reason and none of us [except maybe Michaelvk ] were on the Film's set so your guess is as good as mine why this has happened.  :(

If there are to be re-shoots I hope it's in England. Leavesden Studio is not too far away so if their looking extras I'm available. Ugly, drunken inhabitants of MC1 would be my speciality though Useless Thug Henchmen I could manage as well. ;)
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

dracula1

Makes sense CN. Let's consider classics like Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now had major problems creatively, but turned out perfect. In some cases the movie making trauma spawned books and dvd extras pulling in more revenue after movie release.

radiator

QuoteIt's not like this is studio intervention. It's been their vision from the start.

Yes, good point.

In a lot of ways this is very different to the circumstances of the '95 film shoot. The problems with the Stallone vehicle were many - not least that the whole production was rushed, and they didn't have a solid script locked down - hence all the last-minute changes to the film's story - the tacked-on Hershey romance, Fergee surviving etc. I'm pretty sure that this is nothing like that, from the sounds of it the producers clearly didn't think that Travis was doing the material justice.

Perhaps it was Garland, Macdonald and Reich having such a clear vision of what they want the film to be is at the heart of the problem? Travis wanted to bring his own ideas into the mix and that lead to a falling out?

No matter how you dress it up, though, this is bad news.

I was hoping Dredd would be 2012's District 9. Really hope that it doesn't turn out to be 2012's Conan the Barbarian...

Hopefully we'll get an official statement/denial from the producers to clear up this mess, but I'm not holding my breath...

IAMTHESYSTEM

No statements. I suspect the Films Producers will not want to wash their dirty linen in Public. It will be allowed to fade and be forgotten till after the Film comes out. I assume Peter Travis signed a non disclosure agreement before he made the Film so it will be All Quiet on the DREDD front.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

radiator

Surely they need to do something, though. It's been nothing but bad press from day one for this film.

As I said, I feel gutted for the producers - they seem really genuine in their attempt to make a worthwhile Dredd film, and their efforts are just being met with scorn all across the internet.

Here's hoping for a kick-ass trailer, and soon.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: CraveNoir on 08 October, 2011, 12:21:45 PMIt was always Garland, Reich and Macdonald's project. They've consistently stated their aim for the film to be a violent hard R-rated film that's true to the character. It's not like this is studio intervention. It's been their vision from the start.

but that doesn't address the nature of the current problems, Travis still 'directed' the film so it will be mostly his decisions on how it was shot that now exist and if the rumours of re-shoots are true, Garland seeking co-directing credit may hint at how extensive they need to be. Asking for a share of the credit is something that really is not called for and dangerous if the material is all mostly there. You don't hire a director, sit on his back, and expect him to fuck off after the shoot. If you want it made your way, do it yourself.

No matter what way it's spun, it's not good for the film and don't be surprised if it ends up, maybe not crap, but disjointed.

radiator

It now seems rather telling that Travis was not quoted at all in the Empire magazine feature...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2011, 12:42:46 PMI was hoping Dredd would be 2012's District 9.

I never expected that much of it, Dredd as a film/concept would always be less of a surprise than D9. A Dredd film can be a great Dredd but massive cultural impact is out of it's hands.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 08 October, 2011, 01:10:48 PM
It now seems rather telling that Travis was not quoted at all in the Empire magazine feature...

...or even before. I'm not taking sides but there is the possibility it's not Travis but more the fault of the other side. Truth will out...eventually.

Stan

dracula1

Quote from: Stan on 08 October, 2011, 01:17:17 PM
Quote from: dracula1 on 08 October, 2011, 11:20:44 AM
Quote from: Futurefuzz on 08 October, 2011, 10:43:30 AM
http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/119/1198972p1.html

What the Hell does 'titular judge' mean in this article? Does it mean Urban's got man boobs?

:-*
Hey if this all goes tits up, excuse the pun...maybe they could use all the crap out takes and
and make 'Carry on Dredd' instead ;-)

JOE SOAP

To me the rumors seem to have an anti-Garland slant so it may be some disgruntled sources leaking this. I assume Travis is still under contract to deliver the film so I'd say he's rather pissed off, not to say he's the source. This also doesn't bode well for sequels if this is the kind of influence Garland & Co have over production, why would any director worth their salt sign up to that?

radiator

QuoteThis also doesn't bode well for sequels if this is the kind of influence Garland & Co have over production, why would any director worth their salt sign up to that?

Frankly the idea of them even having to cross that bridge seems unlikely at this point.