Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

in Darkhorizons; http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22055/denial-issued-over-dredd-controversy

On Friday came the news via The LA Times that suggested that director Pete Travis looked to have been removed from the production of "Dredd" during the midst of post-production due to a disagreement with the producers.

At the time writer/producer Alex Garland reportedly had stepped in as his replacement. Today though, Travis and Garland have issued a joint official statement to 24 Frames:

"During all stages of the filmmaking, 'Dredd' has been a collaboration between a number of dedicated creative parties. From the outset we decided on an unorthodox collaboration to make the film. This situation has been misinterpreted.

To set the record straight, Pete was not fired and remains a central part of the collaboration, and Alex is not seeking a co-director credit. We are all extremely proud of the film we have made, and respectfully suggest that it is judged on viewing when its released next year."

A fairly blatant attempt at spin with the details kept decidedly vague and not flat out denying the claim but rather saying some of its details were misinterpreted or over exaggerated, which is a fair enough claim.

No doubt a more prepared and detailed statement explaining events will be forthcoming during publicity rounds closer to the film's release. "Dredd" remains on target for a September 21st 2012 release in North America.

MR. ELIMINATOR

OK, I think I am beginning to get an idea why people think the 'fan boys' want it to fail. By the sounds of things this scojo is a real bastard. Can he not just be band from the forums if enough people don't like him?

Michaelvk

By the sounds of things it's borderline a beating up around the back of the next comic convention, let alone being banned..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

GordonR

Quote from: Lee Bates on 11 October, 2011, 02:17:52 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 11 October, 2011, 02:03:07 PM
Oh for god sake, Scojo or Scott Nestel is Dreddhead123 making a comment in Empireonline report today!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32186

Ha Ha! Nice going Goaty and James! You showed that loser who the real fans are.

I'm going to sign up and stick it to him as well.

Let's have a Sc*j* watch. If anyone spots any of his demented burblings on a website, let us know on here and we can all sign up and out him as the raving lunatic that he is.

Anyone so inclined might want to noise him up on the Bleeding Cool comments section, where he's posting as 'bleedcool'.  He does get around.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?47942-Judge-Dredd-Filmmakers-Release-Official-Statement-So-What-s-Going-On

Pete Wells

If an individual is particularly unpleasant, mentally unstable and damaging to 2000AD and it's fans, do they win the Krill Tro Scojo Award?

JOE SOAP

You just want every reward Pete.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 11 October, 2011, 11:54:25 AM
I saw this comment over on Slashfilm - I pretty agree with this guy's take on the situation.

QuoteMy totally unfounded guess at what's happening:
This is Producer/Screenwriter Garland's baby, and he hired Pete Travis to shoot it since he hadn't directed a movie before. He wrote the script, he's the shot caller in the editing room.
There, not so complex right?

As I've written on this thread previously a producer credit can usurp a director credit, unless of course Travis had a co-producer credit himself ala Nolan, Cameron, Spielberg et al. If you have nothing to do with the financing/producing of the film, you generally have little in the way of final say in the edit unless it's a very gracious studio which is rare. The production was well under way with Garland and DNA as they were the progenitors of the project, everything was organized, the shoot schedule script etc. but they lack a technical a director to facilitate the shoot which is why Travis was brought in.

radiator

Yeah - it's why Duncan Jones turned down the opportunity to direct - he's a big fan of 2000ad, and had a very specific vision of how he wanted to do a Dredd movie, visually and script-wise - which as you say had by that point already been set in stone by DNA.

Steve Green

Quote from: Pete Wells on 11 October, 2011, 06:01:03 PM
If an individual is particularly unpleasant, mentally unstable and damaging to 2000AD and it's fans, do they win the Krill Tro Scojo Award?

I think you'd have to go some to equal him.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Man, i'm quite annoyed about this now. Was looking for news to see if anything new had come up, and there are so many news websites just writing the film off as a flop already. A trailer hasn't even been released yet!

If the film does turn out good, all this won't really matter, but it's still annoying to see.

vzzbux

It's amazing how one person can cause so much shit and how people get suckered into him.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

blackmocco

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 11 October, 2011, 08:38:57 PM
Man, i'm quite annoyed about this now. Was looking for news to see if anything new had come up, and there are so many news websites just writing the film off as a flop already. A trailer hasn't even been released yet!

If the film does turn out good, all this won't really matter, but it's still annoying to see.

Unfortunately, you get one headline with every movie. Either it's positive or it's negative and that one headline can have horrific repercussions for the final product, regardless of how well it turns out.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

PreacherCain

There's about 12 months till release. A decent teaser or trailer will assuage a lot of fears.

It was a pity that so many blogs/sites jumped on speculating about rumours without any facts/confirmations from the offical people involved. That co-director stuff was pure nonsense. Fair play to Empire for sticking to the facts, in this case.

Goaty

Quote from: PreacherCain on 11 October, 2011, 08:46:37 PM
There's about 12 months till release. A decent teaser or trailer will assuage a lot of fears.

11 Months. Chill out everyone, it will be okay!

vzzbux

People love bad news. How many main tabloid headlines are good for the soul. Shit sells I'm afraid.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.