Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dweezil2 on 11 October, 2011, 10:50:23 PM
Dredd has far more in common with other action fare like the Lionsgate movie Expendables- that did very respectable box office,  than a niche movie like Red State in my opinion.

My point was it is closer to cult than mass audience and cults congregate in unholy quorum on such sites.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think this film will attract enough initial cinema goers to be a success. You've got some respected names (garland, urban), sexy woman (Headey and Thirlby) an already established die-hard fan base (2000ad), action fans in general will probably check it out (especially if it's a R), empire and bleeding cool seem very supportive so you have their readers too, and we're still yet to have a trailer.

And as long as it is good, it will probably receive more praise when taking into account rumours of troubled production and the previous dredd film. ( I'm basing that last bit on the reviews of predators which was higher then they should have been mostly due to the fact it was compared to the more recent previous instalments like the AVP fiascos and predator 2)

PreacherCain

Quote from: GordonR on 11 October, 2011, 05:52:07 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 11 October, 2011, 02:17:52 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 11 October, 2011, 02:03:07 PM
Oh for god sake, Scojo or Scott Nestel is Dreddhead123 making a comment in Empireonline report today!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=32186

Ha Ha! Nice going Goaty and James! You showed that loser who the real fans are.

I'm going to sign up and stick it to him as well.

Let's have a Sc*j* watch. If anyone spots any of his demented burblings on a website, let us know on here and we can all sign up and out him as the raving lunatic that he is.

Anyone so inclined might want to noise him up on the Bleeding Cool comments section, where he's posting as 'bleedcool'.  He does get around.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?47942-Judge-Dredd-Filmmakers-Release-Official-Statement-So-What-s-Going-On

He's just admitted who he is on the Empire thread.

"ORIGINAL: dreddhead123

"Apparently he thought they should have chosen his screenplay over the guy who did 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Never Let Me Go etc... ah, the internet."

Well I'm happy to put it to the test. If anyone can name a good site where you can host screenplays, tell me. I'll host the two screenplays I wrote and people can read them."

JOE SOAP

He never hides himself well, you can usually guess on the first post.

weehawk

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 11 October, 2011, 11:22:31 PM
I think this film will attract enough initial cinema goers to be a success. You've got some respected names (garland, urban), sexy woman (Headey and Thirlby) an already established die-hard fan base (2000ad), action fans in general will probably check it out (especially if it's a R), empire and bleeding cool seem very supportive so you have their readers too, and we're still yet to have a trailer.

And as long as it is good, it will probably receive more praise when taking into account rumours of troubled production and the previous dredd film. ( I'm basing that last bit on the reviews of predators which was higher then they should have been mostly due to the fact it was compared to the more recent previous instalments like the AVP fiascos and predator 2)

I just hope Dredd doesn't fall prey to the type misconception on the part of the media(and audience) that very much plagued Conan The Barbarian, by being percieved as a remake.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: weehawk on 12 October, 2011, 02:34:01 AMI just hope Dredd doesn't fall prey to the type misconception on the part of the media(and audience) that very much plagued Conan The Barbarian, by being percieved as a remake.

What plagued Conan was that it was a bad film. No one cared about misconceptions.

Fuzzed

I agree that it's more action flick fare than Ghost Rider/ Conan, so yeah, definitely more attractive to a wider audience.

Also, all the women I know are going for Urban alone, the deal sweetened by the kickass women characters. You're thinking a handful of women in my circle, true, but these women have their own women circles and if you ever heard them talk, you'd know why I'm confident. They went to Priest, and even after seeing it, buying the dvd... Nuff said.

And he won a lot of Trekkers over with his McCoy, and they're quite numerous and supportive. Can't discount their turnout. Since I'm quite a lover of Trek myself, I'm not just talking out my arse.

And there's Garland. Would you go see a film just based on the writer/producer/director/insertnameofchoiceinwhatevercapacity? I do. I'd go see Tintin even if the only name I recognised was Steven Moffat.

In short, I just think there's more reasons to be hopeful than not.

Goaty

Found Scojo in Dredd 2012 Imdb as My_Name_Is_Top_Secret;

one of his reply on "Worse than Conan"; Can guess Net Geek is himself as well! ARSEHOLE!

Well the positive view is:

Don't judge a book by its cover (or a film by its poster). What I mean is, the film is still in post production, no actual footage has been released. Who knows, even if the film needs reshooting or re-editing the action could be great. Have faith.

The negative view is:

These people are utterly clueless. The screenplay - WHICH WAS LEAKED! (who leaked it?) - wasn't that great and nothing we've seen suggests the finished film will be good. And all the bad press at the moment is the kiss of death for the film's box office chances.

And the alternate view is:

I think Net Geek's two Judge Dredd screenplays were much better than Garland's effort and should have been considered.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Goaty on 12 October, 2011, 10:07:24 AM
Found Scojo in Dredd 2012 Imdb as My_Name_Is_Top_Secret;

I think Net Geek's two Judge Dredd screenplays were much better than Garland's effort and should have been considered. [/b]

I thought the leaked script was pretty good, don't know why he keeps going on about that. And considering they surely know it had been leaked, and there were still some spelling errors in it, it's probably going to change a bit.

radiator

At the end of the day no one has a clue how it will do at the box office. Even if it gets great reviews across the board it could still flop, sadly. Quality is by no means an indication of how well a movie will perform - hence the likes of Pirates of the Caribbean making a shitload of money. Even positive early buzz is no indication of success - just ask the makers of Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim.

My guess would be the same as Michael VKs - it will do Ok, but not great at the box office, but will do quite well on DVD/home formats. I imagine that it will build up a cult audience over time, perhaps enough to warrant a sequel, perhaps not.

I do agree that it's going to be marketed more as a hardcore, balls-out action film than a superhero or Sci-fi one - probably pitching to the same audience as the aforementioned The Expendables and the likes of Gamer, 300, The Transporter, Crank etc. In that respect tweaking the subject matter to near-future rather than overtly sci-fi makes a lot of sense.

Though 3D has become a bit of a dirty word, it's a feature of Dredd that may help the film's prospects. From what I've heard, they've done some pretty cool things with the 3D (building new camera rigs, shooting in 3D rather than doing a shoddy post-convert) and it could really help if it builds a rep as a 3D experience that's actually worth going to see.

GordonR

You're kidding, surely? I don't think Karl Urban's starred in a hit film yet. (And that's starred - i.e. him as the lead actor playing the lead character, so no Star Trek, Red or Lord of the Rings.)  Doom, Pathfinder and Priest (although he was second fiddle in that) were all attempts to launch him as an action star, and all of them were flops.

On the basis of available evidence so far, he's pretty solid in second banana parts (his McCoy was good - although you could have taken that character out the film and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to anything) and he makes a great villain (Red, Bourne Supremacy and maybe Chronicles of Riddick) but he's yet to prove he can open a film on his own, as lead actor.

The logic that Trekkers are going to go and see Dredd because he played McCoy doesn't hold up. They didn't go and see Chris Pine in the big budget flop Unstoppable - and he's only Captain friggin' Kirk,  - so why would this work for the guy who plays McCoy?

And all these women fans of his, who still couldn't make his other starring vehicles a success  - they're going to go and see him in a film where his face is covered up the entire time?

I like Karl Urban - I do - but it's a big jump to assume he's going to be an major audience draw.

Goaty

Quote from: GordonR on 12 October, 2011, 10:30:14 AM
You're kidding, surely? I don't think Karl Urban's starred in a hit film yet. (And that's starred - i.e. him as the lead actor playing the lead character, so no Star Trek, Red or Lord of the Rings.)  Doom, Pathfinder and Priest (although he was second fiddle in that) were all attempts to launch him as an action star, and all of them were flops.

On the basis of available evidence so far, he's pretty solid in second banana parts (his McCoy was good - although you could have taken that character out the film and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to anything) and he makes a great villain (Red, Bourne Supremacy and maybe Chronicles of Riddick) but he's yet to prove he can open a film on his own, as lead actor.

The logic that Trekkers are going to go and see Dredd because he played McCoy doesn't hold up. They didn't go and see Chris Pine in the big budget flop Unstoppable - and he's only Captain friggin' Kirk,  - so why would this work for the guy who plays McCoy?

And all these women fans of his, who still couldn't make his other starring vehicles a success  - they're going to go and see him in a film where his face is covered up the entire time?

I like Karl Urban - I do - but it's a big jump to assume he's going to be an major audience draw.

Well he was really good in Out of the Blue.

SpetsnaZ99

I thought he was great in Bourne Supremacy
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

GordonR

Quote from: Goaty on 12 October, 2011, 10:34:23 AM
Well he was really good in Out of the Blue.

You mean the film that - according to imdb - made $728 at the US box office?

The issue isn't whether he's good, it's whether he's got box office appeal as a lead actor, and will bring people to the Dredd movie.

SpetsnaZ99

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.